What MySensors actually is?! (new here)

• Hello all,

I'm new here and found that site yesterday while searching for open source smart-home infrastrucute to consider for my future deployment.

I've browsed the site and the forum briefly while trying to understand what "MySensors" actually is.
    The main page states that: "MySensors is an open source hardware and software community focusing on do-it-yourself home automation and Internet of Things."
    I see the active community in the forum, but from reading the posts I see that people mention MySensors in a context of wireless sensors network...
    As a SW developer, looking on the API and the library I see it as a communication protocol definition, mostly inclined toward wireless communication.

So what MySensors actually is?!

I have many questions about the protocol to understand WHY it was written that way, but will probably post as a separate topic.

Thanks,
    Alex

• Mod

Wireless is the most common/cheap way to implement home automation without redoing all cabling of the house, so it is inevitable that most projects are wireless oriented, especially if take into consideration the amount of security features that are present in the library.

• So MySensors only implements wireless sensors network?
    I saw some RS485 mentioning in the configuration file.
    Does that mean RS485 is supported as well? Or maybe any other Serial based connection?

Thanks.

• Mod

It still supports RS485 but it is missing OTA

• Can live without it for now.
    I've found the RS485 HAL only in the development branch.
    Does that mean I'll always have to use non-stable versions?

What is your release and testing methodology by the way?

Thanks,
    Alex

• Mod

I think it is the most common test is people in the community who are willing to test the development version will report back any strange bug 😆

• Didn't expect to see another answer 🙂

Do you have any statistics for active users of the library?
    Just curious how popular it is...
    If you do a poll, it will be interesting to know how many are using the development branch (beta testers).

• Mod

I don't think popularity is so important, I think it is important to see if for you the community is active enough to provide help and new projects/ideas

• For now I got all the answers and it was fast, so I'm more than happy.
    Thank you and others for that.

Hope to contribute some code and experience when I'll get to the actual implementations.
    For now I'll let my customers know about the site with the community and the work that was done so far.

Thanks,
    Alex

• Mod

@4Project tests are performed and code style is evaluated by Jenkins on every commit.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics