Ethernet GW vs MQTT

• Hardware Contributor

Hello all, from your point of view whats is the best approach? To use OpenHab2.2 with a MySensors MQTT GW or a Ethernet GW? And way?

Currently I have my system working with MQTT, but I'm considering switching to Ethernet, one less layer to go wrong (The MQTT Broker) and the ability to use the Biding with OpenHab and FOTA with Myscontroller.

• Mod

Ethernet for ease of use and configuration, it works with myscontroller.

MQTT for better security, you can still use FOTA with MyController, once data is published to MQTT you can do lot's of things.

• @gohan said in Ethernet GW vs MQTT:

Ethernet for ease of use and configuration, it works with myscontroller.

MQTT for better security, you can still use FOTA with MyController, once data is published to MQTT you can do lot's of things.

Hello (again 😉 )
    Why is MQTT better for security?

Thanks,

simon

• Mod

First you can set username and password, second the gateway is connecting to a broker while ethernet is accepting incoming connections in clear text and no security of any kind ; also if you are accepting connections it is more likely to have a security risk than only outgoing connections

• @gohan said in Ethernet GW vs MQTT:

First you can set username and password, second the gateway is connecting to a broker while ethernet is accepting incoming connections in clear text and no security of any kind ; also if you are accepting connections it is more likely to have a security risk than only outgoing connections

Thanks!

• It is possible to have both of them in a ESP8266 gateway?
    I want to use MQTT to control the nodes but I need too the ethernet to update FOTA nodes with Myscontroller.

• @diogoc AFAIK no. I'm using mqtt with MyController (not Myscontroller) and it works great.

• @soloam said in Ethernet GW vs MQTT:

MySensors MQTT GW

I would vote for MQTT serial gateway but there is no option for that. That's what I use for openHAB 2.3. Works like a charm. I'm not dependent of any special MySensors binding for openHAB. MQTT is the way to go! Serial binding is for people who doesn't like to spend time debugging hardware issues.

• MQTT is the way to go. No special mysensors binding, pure old mqtt.

Easy to troubleshoot and diagnostic, compatible, etc.

• Plugin Developer

Actually, in my experience plain old MQTT is difficult to connect to. There is a Git issue to create (also) an MQTT output that is simplified or follows standards.

https://github.com/mysensors/MySensors/issues/1212

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics