Suitable long-term sensors for PM, Ozone and NO2

• Hello everyone,

I am totally new to this. I have a Arduino Mega 2560 and I would like to perform long-term observations of PM (2,5 and 10), Ozone and NO2 (for around a year, outdoors).

Do you have any ideas which sensors might be suitable for this? I have a few sensors in mind (for PM: SDS011, Plantower PMS 5003/7003, Sharp GP2Y1010AU0F, Honeywell HPM Series...) but since this is my first time doing this kind of stuff, I dont have any experience. Do you mind sharing your experiences with me? I would be happy for any help!

• Hardware Contributor

Hello,

@luxor said in Suitable long-term sensors for PM, Ozone and NO2:
    I have a few sensors in mind (for PM: SDS011, Plantower PMS 5003/7003, Sharp GP2Y1010AU0F, Honeywell HPM Series...) but since this is my first time doing this kind of stuff, I dont have any experience. Do you mind sharing your experiences with me? I would be happy for any help!

I would go for the PMS7003 if you are interested in measuring different particulate sizes, HPM if you can deal with only PM2.5 and want some really long lasting sensor.

• Sharp is bullshit so not a valid option.
    • PMS5003 and HPM share the same electronic but HPM has better quality/longer lasting fan and laser diode so there's no reason to take the PMS5003.
    • for SDS011 it seems good but I never tried it as it's too bulky for the sensor I'm designing and also the most power hungry so not convenient to unplug and move around while powered on battery.

If it's in your budget (it's around 50 USD) you can also consider the Sensirion SPS30, it has the best accuracy, compact size (just a bit bigger than PMSA003), i2c interface and auto-cleaning feature and claims a 8 years lifetime.

• @nca78 Thank you so much! Do you have experience in Ozone and NO2 sensors aswell? I cant find so many different ones. Any suggestions on that side? Which are long lasting, which not?

• @nca78

@nca78

• Sharp is bullshit so not a valid option.

Really?Why do you say this?

I have been using for a couple of years now and it gives me good indication of dust levels in the home. So I am curious why you discounted it.

• Hardware Contributor

@skywatch because:

• it's using an IR led instead of a laser for the others, so it can't detect small PM sizes
    • it doesn't have a fan so airflow is not constant and measurements can't be accurate. It can be used only for relative measurement and not absolute ones.
    • it has analog instead of digital output adding even more imprecision

It can't compare to any of the other models above, as they all have laser + constant air flow + calibrated digital output, giving a particle concentration at +/-10 or 15% that can be used to calculate a relatively accurate AQI

• Hardware Contributor

@luxor said in Suitable long-term sensors for PM, Ozone and NO2:

@nca78 Thank you so much! Do you have experience in Ozone and NO2 sensors aswell? I cant find so many different ones. Any suggestions on that side? Which are long lasting, which not?

Sorry, I don't. I searched a bit and didn't see anything interesting at a reasonable price.

• @nca78 Thanks for the explaination - Now I understand that you require precision measurements whereas I just needed to know when the dust levels were rising in order to clean the room! 😉

Maybe in the future I'll go down another path, but for the time being I have more urgent nodes to make.

• Hardware Contributor

@skywatch said in Suitable long-term sensors for PM, Ozone and NO2:

@nca78 Thanks for the explaination - Now I understand that you require precision measurements whereas I just needed to know when the dust levels were rising in order to clean the room! 😉

Maybe in the future I'll go down another path, but for the time being I have more urgent nodes to make.

Yes if you just need a dusty/not dusty detection, it will do the job.
    But you might breathe polluted air regularly and not know it. I live in a big city of a developing country and I need to be aware of what my family breathes.

• @nca78 I understand your concerns and I would like to further sensing in this area - that sps30 you mentioned looks like a prime candidate for a future upgrade.

Currently I take 20 readings at one second intervals and then average them. This happens once every 5 minutes and gives a graph plot like this......

0_1563015388266_Dust.jpg

This is using the Sharp GP2Y1010AU0F but done the right way, not like the build page 😉

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics