No more batteries....

• It is >10 years since this was published - still not heard of anything available to the public like this despite many patents on similar devices - Anyone here know more about the current state of this technology?

https://ia-petabox.archive.org/details/ZeroPointEnergy

• Hardware Contributor

My guess is the current state is the same than when they got their patent: a totally pseudoscientific state 😉

The Tesla quote promising infinite energy that you can see at the end of the text in your link is a trademark of the "alt scientists" who have been dreaming of infinite energy, perpetual motion etc etc for decades but have produced nothing valuable for humanity while gobbling a lot of money from gullible people who "invested" in their technologies.

• Very entertaining. I must agree with @Nca78 . Right in the abstract is the fallacy of the study "capturing electromagnetic energy emitted by transient changes in energy levels of electron orbitals" Once that energy is "captured" it would have to be replenished from a mythical place not stated in the study.

I think I'll see if I can help the person who is having trouble with the the serial port.

OSD

• There is a spectacular project just recently announced which involves making direct electrical power from ZPE(Zero Point Energy).
    See https://ecat.com/science-technology.

• Hardware Contributor

@mobsens said in No more batteries....:

There is a spectacular project just recently announced which involves making direct electrical power from ZPE(Zero Point Energy).
    See https://ecat.com/science-technology.

Lol one more company perpetuating the scam. This "ecat" thing is already 10+ years old... It's just been renamed from "cold fusion" to "zero point energy" because it's a more efficient buzzword nowadays.

This is the Wikipedia page of the creator. Long past of energy-related scams...

Andrea Rossi (born 3 June 1950) is an Italian entrepreneur who claims to have invented a cold fusion device.[1][2][3]

In the 1970s, Rossi claimed to have invented a process to convert organic waste into petroleum, and in 1978 he founded a company named Petroldragon to process waste. In the 1989 the company was shut down by the Italian government amid allegations of fraud, and Rossi was arrested.[4] In 1996 Rossi moved to the United States and from 2001 to 2003 he worked under a U.S. Army contract to make a thermoelectric device that, while promising to be superior to other devices, produced only around 1/1000 of the claimed performance.[5][6]

In 2008 Rossi attempted to patent a device called an Energy Catalyzer (or E-Cat), which is a purported cold fusion or Low-Energy Nuclear Reaction (LENR) thermal power source.[7][8] Rossi claims that the device produces massive amounts of excess heat that can be used to produce electricity, but independent attempts to reproduce the effect have failed.

• What started this was my research into Dark Matter and Dark Energy discussions with Astronomers and Scientists. I wondered why a simple atom made of one electron around a nucleus of one proton and one neutron could remain stable when the electric charges would mandate an attractive force between the positive nucleus and negative electron. The electron can 'somehow' sustain its distance and therefore gets energy to overcome the attractive force. It can do this for millions of years with no 'conventional' input of external energy.

Right now the world could do with cleaner energy. Here in the UK 18,000 people die every year from avoidable pollution related illness.

I just hope the breakthrough comes in the west because if Russia or China leapfrog us on this tech then we are at a severe disadvantage.

I guess that 'solar power' would have been laughed at 2 generations ago (along with nuclear power, smart phones, space stations etc...) 😉

• Hardware Contributor

@skywatch said in No more batteries....:

What started this was my research into Dark Matter and Dark Energy discussions with Astronomers and Scientists. I wondered why a simple atom made of one electron around a nucleus of one proton and one neutron could remain stable when the electric charges would mandate an attractive force between the positive nucleus and negative electron. The electron can 'somehow' sustain its distance and therefore gets energy to overcome the attractive force. It can do this for millions of years with no 'conventional' input of external energy.

You can move electrons around atoms and molecules with relatively low chemical or electrical energy...
    Zero point energy is the equivalent of the remaining drops of gazoline in an empty gaz tank. If you have millions of cars with "empty" gaz tanks then you're looking at a lot of energy. But it will take you way more energy to retrieve those last drops of gazoline from each tank than you will get from burning them later.
    It's the same with zero point energy, getting the matter in the right conditions to be able to extract any of the remaining energy will use more energy than you will be able to collect.

Right now the world could do with cleaner energy.

Yes we all want it. But it doesn't mean we have to fall in the hand of all the scammers who have pretended for centuries to have discovered all by themselves the secrets of infinite energy. They've been updating the buzzwords but the scam is always the same, with demos using an hidden power source. It's the case for ecat they never ran it unconnected from a power supply, pretending it's using only little external power but it's very easy to cheat.

I just hope the breakthrough comes in the west because if Russia or China leapfrog us on this tech then we are at a severe disadvantage.

Breakthrough will come from international cooperation that has been happening for decades, no single country has the resources and brains to make the breakthrough all alone.

I guess that 'solar power' would have been laughed at 2 generations ago (along with nuclear power, smart phones, space stations etc...) 😉

Chose better examples, a working demo of photovoltaic effect was done in 1839, way more than 2 generations ago... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cell#History

And for nuclear power, smart phone and space station yes it would have been laughed at if someone in 1900 had come up saying he built a smartphone, a nuclear power plant or a space station all by himself in his garage.
    But no one laughed at Hertz when he identified and described radio waves in 1886, 10 years later there were functional radios, and 15 years later it was getting widely available to the public.
    No one laughed at Fermi in 1936 when he discovered nuclear fission, only 6 years later he was running the first nuclear reactor in the US, in 1951 they were producing electricity from a nuclear reactor and in 1957 the first commercial reactor was running at full power.

Only scammers make "revolutionary" discoveries in their garage while having no experience and education in physics, pretend to be victims of the "lobbies" so they have to recourse to crowdfunding, refuse to have independent testing of their devices and pretend to have been running decades of intense research but have never published anything in a half-decent peer reviewed scientific journal.

When there's real science and real scientists behind it, the technology can progress fast and they have no problem getting some funding.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics