Can one child-sensor-id have multiple values

Looking more in detail in MySensors Serial Protocol (1.4) I see that there are two possible ways to have a node sending multiple values but I am wondering what is the way things are done. There seems to be some overlap in the protocol.

Suppose I have a node (node-id = 7) that can measure the temperature (V_TEMP) and the light level (V_LIGHT_LEVEL), will the temperature and the light level then be reported with the same child-sensor-id or will both measurements be reported with different child-sensor-id values?

• Admin

I would probably present them as different childs.

I would probably present them as different childs.

Mwwh, this kind of freedom is not really good in protocols I think as it makes the job of implementing the controller more difficult 😉

• Admin

Yes. The 1.4 protocol gives much freedom. If you follow the normal behavior between the sensor examples and controller you shouldn't run into any ambiguity.

You might wanna look at the proposal for next version of the unit/protocol and give your feedback over there.
    http://forum.mysensors.org/topic/304/unit-standardization-2-0

Good to understand that this is a known problem and that the sensor examples follow the rule different child-sensor-id per sensor.

Yes, let's further discuss this in the other thread(s).

• Mod

@daulagari I think that currently a child-id is meant to represent a single physical sensor. If you have a combined humidity/temperature sensor for example, it can use a single child-id. No one will stop you to implement it as two separate child-id's, though.

I think that currently a child-id is meant to represent a single physical sensor. If you have a combined humidity/temperature sensor for example, it can use a single child-id.

Yes, that makes sense although not from an user perspective.

An user will not be interested in the fact that the "box" he has measures with one combined humidity/temperature sensor or with two separate sensors.

• Mod

@daulagari said:

that makes sense although not from an user perspective

Of coarse not. I just wanted to sketch the idea behind it.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics