Newb making first sensor

• I finally got my serial gateway working and now I'm onto making my first sensor. I have a nano hooked up to a NRF24L01 and a DHT22. I'm confused about how to hook up vcc and ground to both. There are 2 ground pins on the nano but only one 3v3. Do splice the necessary jump wires to together? Are both the ground pins on the nano the same thing?

Thanks

• I think I figured it out. I looked at the data sheet for the dht22 and it takes 3 -6v so I just powered the sensor with 5v from the nano. I guess both grounds are the same? The sketch uploaded and Serial Monitor shows humidity and temp.

• Admin

Yes, the grounds are the same. You can also splice the wires. Just make sure if you're doing power you don't exceed the mA.

• @petewill said:

Yes, the grounds are the same. You can also splice the wires. Just make sure if you're doing power you don't exceed the mA.

Right on, thanks for the response. Now I'm trying to figure out including this bad boy. I noticed that if I start serial monitor the MySensors plugin will find the device, but after that I'm stumped. In the middle of cooking dinner for the wife so I'm kinda jumping back and forth.

• Oh nice! They're showing up in Vera. Gonna play with this some more later.

• Oh man this is so dope! Can't believe I didn't start this sooner. Got a motion and a humidity sensor going now. Gonna have to search the forums on how to calculate for battery usage.

• Be very careful. You'll get hooked on this stuff like we are and you'll have sensors and controllers all over the place. It never ends. We can't stop ourselves. You will dream up new circuits in your sleep. Ouch, that soldering iron is hot! There's always something being shipped from China. What am I going to do with the other 99 diodes in that little bag? That rosin smells different than the last roll of solder. Gee, I need one of those fancy bench multi-meters. Aww smack, I dropped that screw again! Yes dear, I'll have dinner ready once I finish this sketch. You'll go to bed and then ask yourself if you turned the soldering iron off. Be careful. You've been warned.

• @Salmoides said:

Be very careful. You'll get hooked on this stuff like we are and you'll have sensors and controllers all over the place. It never ends. We can't stop ourselves. You will dream up new circuits in your sleep. Ouch, that soldering iron is hot! There's always something being shipped from China. What am I going to do with the other 99 diodes in that little bag? That rosin smells different than the last roll of solder. Gee, I need one of those fancy bench multi-meters. Aww smack, I dropped that screw again! Yes dear, I'll have dinner ready once I finish this sketch. You'll go to bed and then ask yourself if you turned the soldering iron off. Be careful. You've been warned.

Haha, yeah I'm already there with my home automation stuff, plus all the equipment from my audio production stuff.. I have too many hobbies. The wife's pet peeve is that there's constantly crap on the dining table.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics