Wake-up over radio

• Hi there,
    Is there any way to wake up from sleep when a radio message is received ? I run a battery powered motion sensor, and after a few months the battery is empty, due to a lot of motion triggering putting the arduino out from sleep mode : in the motion detector sketch - this is the sketch I'm actually using - the PIR output is connected to one of the two interruptable pins, so at each movement detected, there is an interrupt waking up the pro mini. I would like to put the node in std-by during the presence of someone in my house, and put the node in active mode when the house is empty, and I would like to do this over the air.
    Thanks for your ideas

When the node is asleep radio message are not received (no interrupt from radio) I tackled you problem by having the node waking up every minute and check with the controller if Motion needs to be on/off and switch accordingly. An other (additional) measure is to put the motion detector hardware in the "non-retrigger" setting. This way you can avoid large amounts of on/off triggering. Depending on your motion detector there is probably a jumper (3) or solder area (marked red) to be bridged upload-dcebd4e5-c92a-48b9-b4ff-84fe5b6109e9 upload-345c8ffd-123e-4cb2-9105-182edf633e3e Take a look at PIR or link. (btw one of these pins/ areas is also the 3.3 connection, point marked "H" in first picture). There are a few variations in design make sure that your sensor is similar.

• Mod

I doubt if the ATMega is the big battery-depleter in this case. Most probably the nRF24 radio will consume the most power.
    See e.g. http://forum.mysensors.org/topic/250/how-do-i-use-the-interrupt (scroll down a bit) for PIR power consumption.

• @AWI : yes, the sleep is already implemented in my sketch, the fact is that I'm using an old fashioned PIR that I have hacked, removing the RF part and replacing it with an nRF. The whole think is powered by a 9v cell. The newest PIR's showed above are probably much more efficient regarding power needs. That's why I was really looking to have some possibility to play with the interrupt system from the nRF library

• @Yveaux : interesting post with the current measurements, thanks. I was more focused to adapt the nRF library to try to have an interrupt possibility when a radio message is received

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics