Smallest possible GW

• Hi all,

As it looks like this is a good time to upgrade my Ethernet GW from v1.5.2 to v2, I need to upgrade the hardware (Arduino Uno is not enough to compile the GW with all the options I want). My current hardware setup: Arduino Uno with Ethernet Shield and nrfl01+PA/LNA. I must admit this setup has been working really-really well, but I am now thinking that there are other Arduino like boards (say Moteino), which are extremely small. My criteria is as follows:

1. Has to be Ethernet (not serial). I'll be upgrading it to MQTT soon.
    2. Has to be small and has at least 128k memory to compile large sketches
    3. Has an option to connect nrfl01+PA/LNA (optional) and RFM69

Any ideals would welcome.

PS I was looking at GW being built by @tbowmo but I do not think this is ready to be ordered now.

• Anyone had any experience with Arduino/Genuino 101 and MySensors please?
    Not exactly small but could be just a direct swap for Arduino Uno

• Admin

@alexsh1 said:

PS I was looking at GW being built by @tbowmo but I do not think this is ready to be ordered now.

Going through proto-runs@ITead now. It'll be great (from my biassed perspective 😉 )

• @hek said:

@alexsh1 said:

Going through proto-runs@ITead now. It'll be great (from my biassed perspective 😉 )

I have just ordered Nextion Enhanced 3.5" display from these guys. Can you send us a teaser about any proto@ITead? There is nothing on the web-site.

• Admin

@alexsh1

There is nothing on iteads website about it, as it's an internal prototype run we are trying to start up. We found out that I had to reroute parts of the pcb to meet iteadstudios requirements to clearance between tracks, I finished that part last night, just need to generate a new set of gerbers for them.

• @tbowmo Oh, dear - so its another month waiting for parts and another month testing?
    I know those things are never going in a straight line...

• Admin

@alexsh1

It's a minor update to the layout.. Not the schematics.. So functionality is basically verified now. Next steps would be to have Itead to make their prototype run, have a firmware / verification round at their half, and then start production if everything is fine out there..

Hopefully we can get something out within the next 1-2 months. But I can't promise anything at the moment.

• Hardware Contributor

And here is me designing a MySensors shield to sit on top of a mega with connections for the radios etc. Seems someone has gone a step futher.

Looking forward to the outcome @tbowmo @hek

• @Samuel235 yeah, unfortunately due to sketch size, I need more flash and SRAM so it means Mega. However, in today's world of AVR the size is just monstrous given that I do not need so many input / output pins

• Mod

Have you looked at the esp8266? No wired ethernet though, only wlan.

• @mfalkvidd to be honest not yet. There are so many development modules. I tried Particle Photon, pretty much all Arduinos including clones. Yesterday I ordered ESP8266 Wemos D1 V2 and I have a few other ESP8266 modules around which I ordered with other parts from China but never got around to use it. The problem is time. If I'm going to use ESP8266 for production, I need to setup MQTT with Domoticz - I have not looked into this yet. One triggers another one.

I'm in the process of changing RPi2 for PRi3 - this may complicate things further.

• Hardware Contributor

@mfalkvidd, do you feel the need to go to a RPi3 over a 2? Or is it just something you want to do for the sake of it? Do you feel that domoticz requires the extra power of the 3 over the 2?

I run Openhab on a 2 and i'm just wondering how much better it would be on a 3, if it would be. Waying this up with the running power of the 3 compared to the 2 to see if it is truly worth the change.

• @Samuel235 my two pennies' worth...probably it's not worth upgrading, but I liked the Bluetooth module and not going to use the wifi. Additionally, all libraries are going to be updated for rpi3 so eventually you will have to upgrade. Compiling is WAY much faster. At £25 this not a huge decision. I have many scripts in Domoticz and sometimes the web-interface is slowing down and even freezing so I'm hoping this will be gone on RPi3

• Hardware Contributor

@alexsh1 Alrighty, thank you for that information. May be worth a look at for myself 🙂

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics