💬 Building a Raspberry Pi Gateway

• Hello,

Could someone answer: if i have RPi NRF24 GW, how I could connect MYSController from other computer (for example from Windows computer)?

1. Is it possible to make that type connection with RPi NRF24 GW?
    2. May I use some integrated web server for this type of connection in RPi to make it work? Is there are easier solutions?

EDIT: no matter, already answered it by myself 🙂
    Its easy becose it's like Ethernet GW.

• @Oli: when you do a "ls /dev" is ttyUSBMySensorsGateway shown ?

• @Oli: by the way, the name of the port you used is ttyMySensorsGateway, not ttyUSBMySensorsGateway:

@mfalkvidd I could not find ttyMySensorsGateway on Domoticz. Only ttyUSB0, ttyUSB20 and ttyAMA0. Even after I did ./configure --my-gateway=serial --my-serial-is-pty --my-serial-pty=/dev/ttyMySensorsGateway

Is the gateway running, ie, "ps -ef "grep my" shows a process there ?

Cheers,

Luiz

• @Oli: sorry, correct syntax is ps -ef | grep my

• @luizrrocha
    pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ls /dev

autofs mmcblk0p1 stderr tty36 ttyAMA0
    block mmcblk0p2 stdin tty37 ttyMySensorsGateway
    btrfs-control net stdout tty38 ttyprintk
    bus network_latency tty tty39 ttyUSB0
    cachefiles network_throughput tty0 tty4 ttyUSB20
    char null tty1 tty40 uhid
    console ppp tty10 tty41 uinput
    cpu_dma_latency ptmx tty11 tty42 urandom
    cuse pts tty12 tty43 vc-cma
    disk ram0 tty13 tty44 vchiq
    fb0 ram1 tty14 tty45 vcio
    fd ram10 tty15 tty46 vc-mem
    full ram11 tty16 tty47 vcs
    fuse ram12 tty17 tty48 vcs1
    gpiomem ram13 tty18 tty49 vcs2
    hwrng ram14 tty19 tty5 vcs3
    i2c-1 ram15 tty2 tty50 vcs4
    input ram2 tty20 tty51 vcs5
    kmsg ram3 tty21 tty52 vcs6
    log ram4 tty22 tty53 vcsa
    loop0 ram5 tty23 tty54 vcsa1
    loop1 ram6 tty24 tty55 vcsa2
    loop2 ram7 tty25 tty56 vcsa3
    loop3 ram8 tty26 tty57 vcsa4
    loop4 ram9 tty27 tty58 vcsa5
    loop5 random tty28 tty59 vcsa6
    loop6 raw tty29 tty6 vhci
    loop7 root tty3 tty60 watchdog
    loop-control serial tty30 tty61 watchdog0
    MAKEDEV shm tty31 tty62 xconsole
    mapper snd tty32 tty63 zero
    mem sndstat tty33 tty7
    memory_bandwidth spidev0.0 tty34 tty8
    mmcblk0 spidev0.1 tty35 tty9

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ps -ef | grep my

root 2079 1 1 18:40 ? 00:02:49 /usr/local/bin/mysgw -b
    pi 4214 4181 0 21:25 pts/2 00:00:00 grep --color=auto my

• @Oli : the port name is actually ttyMySensorsGateway, you have to correct the definition of the gateway on Domoticz to use it....

Luiz

• @jacikaas : on MYSController go to Settings -> Gateway -> TCP/IP and add the IP address of the Gateway and use port 5003. It works even if the gateway is feeding data to Domoticz, so you can monitor your sensors in "raw" mode.

Cheers,

Luiz

• @luizrrocha as You can see, on the picture above, I've wrote that ttyUSBMySensors.... is from my previous backup copy. On the same pictures You can also see that I can choose only from three serial ports: USB0, USB20 and AMA0. Thera are no ttyMySensorsGateway despite that it is present after ls /dev.
    And that's the problem, I dont know how to make it present in the serial ports popup menu.

• @Oli : why not remove the old definition to avoid any trash information and restarting Domoticz to make shure it rereads the port info before creating the new entry ?

And I do not understand why if you are running domoticz and the gateway on the same Pi, why not use a ethernet gateway and set 127.0.0.1 and port 5003 on the Domoticz gateway entry. I did that and never had to worry about USB ports at all.

• @luizrrocha

@luizrrocha said:

@Oli : why not remove the old definition to avoid any trash information and restarting Domoticz to make shure it rereads the port info before creating the new entry ?

Of course I did that, I started from the scratch... but when it did not work I try to restore my backup... but it did not work also...

@luizrrocha said:

And I do not understand why if you are running domoticz and the gateway on the same Pi, why not use a ethernet gateway and set 127.0.0.1 and port 5003 on the Domoticz gateway entry. I did that and never had to worry about USB ports at all.

simple... I have no free LAN on my rotuer... there is more, I also have raZberry daughter board (Z-Wave) connected to same Raspberry Pi GPIO port. And till today everything works perfect until... "Better is the enemy of the good" 😉

• OK I found the solution (thanks to @luizrrocha). I change

./configure --my-gateway=serial --my-serial-is-pty --my-serial-pty=/dev/ttyMySensorsGateway
    to
    ./configure --my-gateway=serial --my-serial-is-pty --my-serial-pty=/dev/ttyUSBMySensorsGateway and now its working.

Question is, It's only workaround (in my case) or there is bug in the installation guide?

• @Oli : if both the gateway and Domoticz run on the same Raspi, there is no physical network involved, hence the 127.0.0.1 dummy local address is used by Domoticz to talk to the gateway on the same machine, just using port 5003... and since you use localhost (127.0.0.1, a virtual network) there is no need to create a virtual USB port which is what you did...

• @luizrrocha interesting... step by step instruction?

• @Oli: delete the Makefile.inc file on mysensors folder
    ./configure --my-gateway=ethernet
    make
    sudo ./bin/mysgw -b
    go to domoticz and create a new MySensors Gateway with LAN, inform 127.0.0.1 as the address and 5003 as the port...

that should do the trick.

• @Oli luizrocha's configuration seems interesting, but just in case your still wanting the serial, from above, has worked for me in the past, but I have since switched to OH2:

@ysinh said:

A tiny hint for the users of domoticz :
    ./configure --my-gateway=serial --my-serial-is-pty --my-serial-pty=/dev/ttyUSB20
    make
    sudo ./examples_linux/mysGateway -d

🙂 i hope this helps
    then in the hardware setup
    MySensors Gateway USB
    serial port: /dev/ttyUSB20

• I am also not get it to work in Domoticz tried the USB serial and ethernet way.

It's a testing pi. Where i didn't connected the radio. Because it's still in the Nano. Could that be the issue? I guess not.

• @marceloaqno, @jirm, @aand

Hi!,

I started a new topic for Mysensors Gateway on OrangePI (OPI), Here

Hope this is okay,

Kind regards,

Tag

• The Pi MQTT Gateway with IRQ connected may handle better the messages into a loaded network than Ethernet MQTT Gateway where IRQ is not used? (with NRF24)
    Also I would like to know if I can use the other pins of RPi to connect some digital sensors directly there.

• @Oli
    Stupid question... Did you mount the radio? Because I thought I would like to test if it works. (without radio) but that doesn't work.

Mounted a radio and ethernet gateway is working.

• @Mihai

Maybe i'm wrong but IRQ is used on all gateways if you read above :
    """
    Improving throughput for nrf24
    There is another method were the interrupt pin from the nrf24 modules is used to inform when a new message arrives and it's immediately added to a queue for further processing
    """
    for the second part yes you can use other pins on RPi ... i have RF module NRF24L01 for gateway and DHT11 on RPi.

• @luizrrocha said:

Ditto, @Robinek70 !

Thank you, Marcelo Aquino, for your fantastic work .

I have Domoticz, Cacti, Heyu and MySensors Gateway running in a 30 dollars RASPBERRY PI 2, all without a glitch, all talking to each other and hopefully soon will also have Alexa for RASPBERRY PI running there also.

If in doubt, by a RASPBERRY PI and thank people who develop and support it for free instead of complaining all the time.

'nuff said.

Luiz Roberto

Can you please give me the instructions for Domoticz setup?

I have a node with DHT11 sensor and I can see mygsw service is getting messages. How do I connect Domoticz with mysensors ?

I have been following openhab until today and I'm switching to Domoticz now.

• Hello, @musthafa .

For installation I used the tutorial at http://www.domoticz.com/wiki/Installing_and_running_Domoticz_on_a_Raspberry_PI. It looks like they changed the tutorial that I used to just a single curl command to install it, although there are complaints about it not working alright. You'll have to try it as I cannot reinstall mine.

Setting up MySensors Gateway is also covered in the wiki : http://www.domoticz.com/wiki/MySensors, very easy. I recommend you go thru the wiki pages as I did, they are a treasure of information, as the manual on www.domoticz.com is outdated though useful.

Good luck.

Luiz

• @luizrrocha said:
    Thank you!

Hello, @musthafa .

For installation I used the tutorial at http://www.domoticz.com/wiki/Installing_and_running_Domoticz_on_a_Raspberry_PI. It looks like they changed the tutorial that I used to just a single curl command to install it, although there are complaints about it not working alright. You'll have to try it as I cannot reinstall mine.

Domoticz Installation was straight forward as per their wiki.

Setting up MySensors Gateway is also covered in the wiki : http://www.domoticz.com/wiki/MySensors, very easy. I recommend you go thru the wiki pages as I did, they are a treasure of information, as the manual on www.domoticz.com is outdated though useful.

Good luck.

Luiz

MySensors I tried Ethernet didn't work. Virtual Serial Port worked for me. However I have 1 light (LED Test at PIN 4 of Node) & a DHT sensor. Domoticz only lists the DHT sensor. It doesn't show me the light child.

• @musthafa : look on the MySensors forum for the MYSController, install it and you can monitor the messages going to the gateway.

Most likely your declaration of the LED output pin on the MySensors arduino is not correct. I still did not use arduinos as actuators with MySensors so I will probably not be of much help here.

Cheers,

Luiz

• @luizrrocha said:

@musthafa : look on the MySensors forum for the MYSController, install it and you can monitor the messages going to the gateway.

Most likely your declaration of the LED output pin on the MySensors arduino is not correct. I still did not use arduinos as actuators with MySensors so I will probably not be of much help here.

Cheers,

Luiz

In OpenHAB it worked as a dimmer. Later on OpenHAB was stuck and my mobile app was frozen. Then I start discovering Domoticz. If it can be discovered in OH2 why not in Domoticz ?

• @eyesoft
    Thank you for the answer, I am happy to get a confirmation about sensors works on a Pi Gateway. Since at least one of my sensor is analogue, I still have to add an Arduino board to the gateway, I plan to connect it via USB.
    I have tested and get very good results with Home Assistant controller running on a Pi where I add sensors directly on Pi and to an Arduino (USB to Pi).
    The Ethernet Gateway do not use IRQ: https://www.mysensors.org/build/ethernet_gateway
    Nor the nodes: https://www.mysensors.org/build/connect_radio Even if the wire is connected at Arduino pin 2, is mentioned: Note: The IRQ is currently not used by the MySensors library so it can be left un-connected
    If you know how to connect and manage this IRQ on Arduino sketch, please let me know.
    I have built this some time ago and works without the IRQ connected. Now I have updated the MySensors to 2.1.0 , IRQ is still unconnected and works the same. As far as I see, it is used for the Pi Gateway. I plan to migrate to this configuration of Pi Gateway, but I would like to get more info before change my working system:

• this IRQ improve the reliability? (sometimes I have encountered problems due the load of NRF24 network with many messages)
    • I would like to set retain=true for the MQTT Gateway, this will improve the reliability.
      I already addressed the last question somwhere else, still waiting for more info if somebody know.
      Thank you

• After installing a Raspberry Gateway, is this output OK, or have I forgotten something?

mysgw: Starting gateway...
    mysgw: Protocol version - 2.2.0-beta
    mysgw: MCO:BGN:INIT GW,CP=RNNG---,VER=2.2.0-beta
    mysgw: TSF:LRT:OK
    mysgw: TSM:INIT
    mysgw: TSF:WUR:MS=0
    mysgw: TSM:INIT:TSP OK
    mysgw: TSM:INIT:GW MODE
    mysgw: TSM:READY:ID=0,PAR=0,DIS=0
    mysgw: MCO:REG:NOT NEEDED
    mysgw: MCO:BGN:STP
    mysgw: MCO:BGN:INIT OK,TSP=1

I configured with (should be a serial gateway with a controller on the same machine):

./configure --soc=BCM2835 --my-gateway=serial --my-serial-is-pty --my-serial-pty=/dev/ttyMySensorGateway --my-serial-groupname=dialout --my-debug=enable

• Has there been any progress on the RFM69 version? Looking at the repository, it looks like some of the code is there. I did find this RFM69 driver for the Pi that has a LowPowerLabs interface. Would this help in moving forward?

https://github.com/dconstructing/rfm69

thanks for all the work on this - a great community moving things forward.

• @Mihai
    you can attach analogue sensor to ESP2866 with espeasy firmware ... more info here : http://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/index.php/ESPEasy ... i'm using one ESP8266-12E and i have good results and Uptime: 74209 minutes (usb powered).
    i'm using IRQ on NRF24L01 connected to my Rpi, but i don't have many sensor with nrf+arduino (only 2) and i had no problems ... i don't if IRQ improve the reliability and i never play with irq fron nrf on arduino.
    regarding retain=true have a look here : http://www.hivemq.com/blog/mqtt-essentials-part-8-retained-messages
    for more reliability on mqtt i think you can use qos=1 ( The broker/client will deliver the message at least once, with confirmation required.), but all depends on your set-up .. not all messages need special attention.

• Code Contributor

@Mihai I have not done any extensive testing with IRQ functionality in RPi, I plan to do it in the future, so for now you will have to test it for yourself.

@Madhias Yes, this is the expected output, the gateway is now waiting for messages to arrive.

@pjeran Yes, there is a work in progress with many improvements: https://github.com/mysensors/MySensors/pull/722

• Is it possible to use the second ISP on my raspberypi 3 to connect NRF24L01+ and what will be the wiring diagram, also what have to change in mygsw library

• I have created a patch to enable the use of the RFM69 with a RaspberryPi gateway without the use of an Arduino gateway board.

It has only been tested with my configuration, but it seems to work well for me.

Pull request is here with configuration instructions:
    https://github.com/mysensors/MySensors/pull/728

Note that it currently requires using some pin other than CS0/CS1 for the chip-select

• @PhracturedBlue

Thanks for the link and the work, I will give this a shot.

Paul

• This post is deleted!

• @eyesoft
    As far as I understand, MySensors relay on PubSubClient for MQTT and it does not allow to publish messages with QOS=1 or 2, only 0.
    Retain is different that QOS, it offers the possibility to recover the state for a device that loose connection for a while (e.g. after a restart). I find it very usefull. For example I have to restart the controller. When come back I got all states to their real values if retain=true. Otherwise they goes to the default, usually 0.
    I have now 6 nodes, each with several sensors and relays.

• please help 😞
    every time after reboot i have to run this code

sudo ./bin/mysgw -d

so built a virtual usb but after reboot ....
    0_1484136446585_kkddk.jpg

how put this code in startup ? 😞 please help thank you

• Code Contributor

@Reza

From the Building a Raspberry Pi Gateway article:

If you wish to install:

sudo make install

The last command will provide instructions for your system on how to start the gateway on every boot.

• @marceloaqno
    i do it but after reboot serial lost again 😞
    just with command work again

sudo ./bin/mysgw -d

• @marceloaqno
    i'm sorry
    after sudo make install i must run this lines:

sudo systemctl enable mysgw.service
     sudo systemctl start mysgw.service

sorry thank you

• @marceloaqno can you build a rs485 gateway on raspberry pi ?

• @Mihai yes you are right

• This data that I get when I run ./mysgw --d , where is it stored and how can I get it to push it on cloud? Please help.

• @Shantanu-Mhapankar

Data is not stored... to store the data and do something usefull with it (or not) you need a controller. I use mycontroller, and from this software you can "push" data to an external server.
    I use my controller, but i am sure that other controller software also has this feature.

• @Tag , The controller must be using something to get the data right? How can we do it directly without using the controller?

• @hek It looks like development is the default branch in the repository. I was following the build instructions and couldn't figure out why I kept getting "connection refused". Just typing up a troubleshooting post when I saw my log said 2.2.0-beta. Sure enough when I grabbed master(2.1.0) instead it ran fine. Should probably add a checkout in the instructions.

• Mod

@pete1450 could you clarify which instructions should be updated?

The instructions at https://www.mysensors.org/about/arduino recommend using the Arduino IDE Board manager, which will get the latest stable version.

Edit: Now I see. The link in the first post in this thread. It doesn't mention the master branch because up until Dec 25th the development branch was required. But now that 2.1 has been released the instructions should indeed use the stable version. I've updated the instructions. Thanks for noticing!

• @Shantanu-Mhapankar

This is also new for me since i do not send data into any cloud... but i can imagine that you can use MQTT. (see https://www.mysensors.org/build/mqtt_gateway for more details) is important that the receiving side supports MQTT. in this case google is your friend 😉

if you do a ./configure --help you will find you can build the mysensors gateway with MQTT support

./configure --help 
        --my-gateway=[ethernet|serial|mqtt]
                                    Gateway type, set to none to disable gateway feature. [ethernet]
        --my-node-id=<ID>           Disable gateway feature and run as a node with given id.
        --my-controller-url-address=<URL>
                                    Controller or MQTT broker url.
        --my-controller-ip-address=<IP>
                                    Controller or MQTT broker ip.
        --my-port=<PORT>            The port to keep open on gateway mode.
                                    If gateway is set to mqtt, it sets the broker port.

• ran sudo ./bin/mysgw -d
    I keep getting mysgw: accept: Bad File Descriptor.
    Any possible cause ?

• Mod

I am trying to get the raspi ethernet gateway running but on both my pi 3 (also running openHAB) and the pi B (pretty basic install).

Unfortunately I get the same error on both.

Any ideas what could be going on here?

I am running the latest gateway and the latest raspbian.

mysgw: Protocol version - 2.1.0
    mysgw: MCO:BGN:INIT GW,CP=RNNG---,VER=2.1.0
    mysgw: connect: Connection refused
    mysgw: failed to connect
    mysgw: Eth: connect

• @marceltrapman

I am using a Rasp Pi 3 as well.
    I can't even proceed further in the tutorial cause of this error cause nothing works after it.

• Code Contributor

@marceltrapman @LaMB95
    Could you post the complete ./configure command used to configure the gateway?

• Mod

@marceloaqno Sure, forgot it 🙂

sudo ./configure \
        --my-gateway=ethernet \
        --my-controller-ip-address=192.168.1.xx \
        --my-port=5003 \
        --my-transport=nrf24

• Code Contributor

@marceltrapman Are you sure it's not a problem with your controller?
    Have you tried connecting to your controller using telnet?

telnet 192.168.1.x 5003

• @marceloaqno !0_1484503346236_Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 10.01.01 PM.png
    0_1484503640735_Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 10.06.53 PM.png
    Is this what you meant?

• Mod

@marceloaqno not sure no.

So, I downloaded telnet on the same raspi that I want to use as the gateway and the issue seems to be that port 5003 is not available.

Funny but how do I solve this.
    It can't be an issue with the firewall because it allows all traffic on the internal network.

• Mod

@marceloaqno and the same from the controller to the gateway gives the same error on that port 😞

• Code Contributor

@Reza Yes, you can use rs485 in the RPi.

./configure --my-transport=rs485 --my-rs485-serial-port=<YOUR_SERIAL_PORT>

For more options, run:

./configure -h

• Code Contributor

@LaMB95 No, I meant the options you used when you ran ./configure

• Code Contributor

@tiana
    "The Broadcom SoC has three independant SPI interfaces, however only one of these is brought out to the GPIO connector, and that one SPI interface has 2 Chip enable lines."
    More info here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=22608

• Mod

@marceloaqno from the docs I assume it is the gateway that has to open up port 5003 but I guess it does not because it can't connect to the ethernet (for some reason) or am I wrong?

• @marceloaqno
    i means that without arduino and usb port, similar to raspberry gateway ( raspberry +nrf24)
    i means connect rs485 module to GPIO raspberry pi 🙂 with domoticz

• @marceloaqno 0_1484505404805_Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 10.36.17 PM.png

I m sorry I m new to using a raspberry pi and its for a project.
    But if this is not what you asked for could you be a little more specific :$1_1484506047866_Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 10.46.49 PM.png 0_1484506047866_Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 10.46.35 PM.png

• use sudo 😉

• Mod

Oh and one other thing, when I set the gateway up for MQTT it works.

• Code Contributor

@marceltrapman

If you use the --my-controller-ip-address= option, the gateway will act as a client and attempt to conect to the supplied ip and port. If you want the gateway to open port 5003, omit this option.

• Code Contributor

@Reza You could connect the rs485 to the RPi UART and use the option --my-rs485-serial-port=/dev/ttyAMA0, but you need to turning off the UART functioning as a serial console.

Or, to make things easier:
    rs485 <==> TTL/USB <==> RPi

• @marceloaqno
    i am beginner and i can not turning off the UART functioning. . . also on some board usb port after power off/on lost and i should disconnect/connect cable... i test your steps serial gateway with raspberry and GPIO with virtual usb serial . and i see this problem solve and after power off/on gateway is connect .
    i suggest that you add this commands to page of rs485 gateway step by step and update this .
    (https://www.mysensors.org/build/rs485)

I thank you for hard working and trying

• @Reza

if you want use rpi /dev/ttyAMA0 for rs485 gateway -

1. remove string "console=serial0,115200" from /boot/cmdline.txt
    2. add strings "enable_uart=1" and "dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt" to /boot/config.txt (only on rpi3)
    3. reboot raspi

• Mod

@marceloaqno nice, working now 👍

Thank you...

• @b0rmann
    thank you friend , but i am sorry i am very beginner in raspberry pi . because i use vera before and with raspberry and orange pi i use recently. so i need a full steps for a rs485 gateway(wiring and commands . . .) i dont know what is ttyAMA0 ! i use a serial gateway with usb port with raspberrypi 3 but i have some problem , but with a raspberrypi gateway and use a virtual serial port (ttyUSB020) all of my problem resolve. but i have problem with wireless. so i want have a wiring network. i want a full steps for setup a rs485 module with raspberrypi 3(wiring and steps for install...) thank you for help

• Do I read that correctly, does this gateway also gives a ethernet link to a serial-only controller? How do I have to configure ip and port? In the build section I see no option to set them.

• @LaMB95 said:

@ericvdb

0_1484579303843_Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 7.08.05 PM.png

Okay what could be the problem? :3

• Code Contributor

@Reza There are many guides on the web teaching how to connect and use rs485 with the RPi. I recommend you start with them and when you are sure it is working, you add MySensors to the equation.

• @marceloaqno said:

There are many guides on the web teaching how to connect and use rs485 with the RPi. I recommend you start with them and when you are sure it is working, you add MySensors to the equation.

ok thank you 😞

• @Anduril
    you will get all the build options for the mysgw with the command

./configure -help

Here you can configure all options like serial and ethernet

• just cloned and read the --help, but still I don't know how to use.
    To make it a litte less abstract: I have a ethernet gateway (ESP8266) running at 192.168.38.19 with port 5003 to connect to. I want to have this accessible by a serial-only controller on the raspberry.

I tried to do this config and make afterwards, but starting gave only FAILs...

./configure --my-gateway=ethernet --my-controller-ip-address=192.168.38.19 --my-serial-is-pty --my-serial-pty=/dev/ttyMySensorsGateway

~/MySensors$ sudo ./bin/mysgw -d
    mysgw: !TSM:INIT:TSP FAIL
    mysgw: TSM:FAIL:CNT=1
    mysgw: TSM:FAIL:PDT
    mysgw: TSM:FAIL:RE-INIT
    mysgw: TSM:FAIL:CNT=2
    mysgw: TSM:FAIL:CNT=3
    mysgw: TSM:FAIL:CNT=4

I think my config is wrong and it tries to connect to a nrf24 at the rpi. So what's the correct config for my case?

Thanks in advance.

• Mod

@Anduril
    Why are you using an esp8266 as a serial gateway? Wouldn't it be easier to use a normal UNO?

• I'm using a ESP8266 as ethernet gateway and want to have this connected as virtuall serial port to my raspberry pi so my controller can connect to that.

• I using RPi2 and NRF24 for this. I followed the instructions, to clone the repo, and then added config
    ./configure --my-gateway=mqtt --my-controller-ip-address=127.0.0.1 --my-mqtt-publish-topic-prefix=mysensors-out --my-mqtt-subscribe-topic-prefix=mysensors-in --my-mqtt-client-id=mygateway1 --my-transport=nrf24

make

when i run with sudo ./bin/mysgw -d, it is failing to connect to MQTT. Can you please help?

mysgw: Attempting MQTT connection...

• Mod

@Anduril

Have you aver considered Using the GatewayESP8266MQTTClient? What controller are you trying to connect?

• I use pimatic which does not have a native compatibility to ethernet or mqtt. Thats why my question came up on how to configure it to do this...

Building a Raspberry Pi Gateway:

If you are running a controller on the Raspberry Pi that doesn't support communication with the gateway through ethernet, you can use a virtual serial port:
    ./configure --my-gateway=serial --my-serial-is-pty --my-serial-pty=/dev/ttyMySensorsGateway

• Mod

@Anduril you might be able to use nodered or socat to convert the tcp connection to a serial port.
    https://linux.die.net/man/1/socat
    https://nodered.org/

• that's what I tried in the past and am using now (socat), but it does not reconnect and has some other drawbacks. Reading of an officially supported way sounded interesting

• @lakshmc Make sure you don't have the daemon running already

If not, I'm getting the same problem on the 2.1.1 that was just released. 2.1.0 was working "fine"(besides my suspecting a bug that doesn't let any inclusion happen, hence I tried the new version). Time to go back to the serial gateway right into the vera.

• Code Contributor

@pete1450 @lakshmc
    Make sure you are not using an old version of mosquitto (or any other broker you're using):

$ mosquitto -h
    mosquitto version 1.4.10 (build date 2016-09-20 11:02:07-0600)

It's working fine with the 2.1.1 release:

[alarm@pi3 mysgw]$ sudo ./bin/mysgw -d
    mysgw: Protocol version - 2.1.1
    mysgw: MCO:BGN:INIT GW,CP=RNNG---,VER=2.1.1
    mysgw: connected to 127.0.0.1
    mysgw: MQTT connected
    mysgw: Sending message on topic: mysensors-out/0/255/0/0/18
    mysgw: TSF:MSG:READ,2-2-0,s=1,c=1,t=17,pt=7,l=5,sg=0:108.12
    mysgw: TSF:MSG:ACK REQ
    mysgw: TSF:MSG:SEND,0-0-2-2,s=1,c=1,t=17,pt=7,l=5,sg=0,ft=0,st=OK:108.12
    mysgw: Sending message on topic: mysensors-out/2/1/1/0/17
    mysgw: TSF:MSG:READ,2-2-0,s=2,c=1,t=17,pt=7,l=5,sg=0:48.31
    mysgw: TSF:MSG:SEND,0-0-2-2,s=2,c=1,t=17,pt=7,l=5,sg=0,ft=0,st=OK:48.31
    mysgw: Sending message on topic: mysensors-out/2/2/1/0/17
    mysgw: TSF:MSG:READ,2-2-0,s=3,c=1,t=17,pt=7,l=5,sg=0:362.86
    mysgw: TSF:MSG:SEND,0-0-2-2,s=3,c=1,t=17,pt=7,l=5,sg=0,ft=0,st=OK:362.86
    mysgw: Sending message on topic: mysensors-out/2/3/1/0/17

• @marceloaqno I should have specified, I'm getting the connection errors with the ethernet gateway.

• Code Contributor

@pete1450 Could you send the debug log with the connection errors?

• @marceloaqno After installing broker and gateway fresh, seems to be working. Thanks for your help.

• @marceloaqno
    Ran as root and made sure I didn't have mysgw already running:

rm -r MySensors/
    git clone https://github.com/mysensors/MySensors.git --branch master
    cd MySensors/
    ./configure --my-controller-ip-address=192.168.1.136 --my-port=5003 --my-rf24-irq-pin=15
    make

root@raspberrypi:~/downloads/MySensors# ./bin/mysgw -d
    mysgw: Protocol version - 2.1.1
    mysgw: MCO:BGN:INIT GW,CP=RNNG--Q,VER=2.1.1

• every few days mysgw randomly dies 😞

Jan 19 06:40:01 pi mysgw[17960]: TSF:MSG:READ,5-5-0,s=255,c=3,t=21,pt=1,l=1,sg=0:0
    Jan 19 06:40:01 pi mysgw[17960]: Sending message on topic: mysensors/out/1/5/255/3/0/21
    Jan 19 06:40:01 pi mysgw[17960]: TSF:MSG:READ,0-5-255,s=255,c=3,t=20,pt=0,l=0,sg=0:
    Jan 19 06:40:01 pi mysgw[17960]: TSF:MSG:BC
    Jan 19 06:40:01 pi systemd[1]: mysgw.service: main process exited, code=killed, status=11/SEGV
    Jan 19 06:40:01 pi systemd[1]: Unit mysgw.service entered failed state.

• Code Contributor

@pete1450 If you use the --my-controller-ip-address= option, the gateway will act as a client and attempt to conect to the supplied ip and port. If you want the gateway to open port 5003, omit this option.

• @marceloaqno what is the correct configure option to make this gatway connect to an ethernet gateway and let a serial-only-controller connect to it. I suppose to use the pty option, but didn't got this working. As said above, socat and nodered are no option.

• @marceloaqno Well that fixed the connection issue. Now I'm just back to square one where pressing start doesn't do anything. Why do I not need to specify my controllers ip? That is the ip for my veralite. Whats the use case for that option.

• Code Contributor

@b0rmann Could you provide the following information?

• Your RPi model and which linux distribution you are using.
    • gcc version
    • The version and options you used to build the gateway (./configure --option)
    • The number of nodes on your network that sends messages to the gateway.
    • The broker you are using for MQTT and its version

• Code Contributor

@Anduril Sorry, the gateway does not support what you're trying to do.

• Code Contributor

@pete1450
    I can't help you with this, I've never used the Vera controller. You need to search in the Vera settings where you set this option. If Vera supports being a server and opening a port for the gateway to connect, then you use the --my-controller-ip-address option.

• Does anyone know if the Raspberry implementation have a UserPassword option for ./configure MQTT

• @Michael-Curtis Nevermind, I fixed it.... you ned to add :

--my-mqtt-password=<PASS>   MQTT password
    --my-mqtt-client-id=<ID>    MQTT client id.

Under "cat"

And for the actual options under "opt do"

--my-mqtt-user=*)
        CPPFLAGS="-DMY_MQTT_USER=\\\"${optarg}\\\" $CPPFLAGS"
        ;;
    --my-mqtt-password=*)
        CPPFLAGS="-DMY_MQTT_PASSWORD=\\\"${optarg}\\\" $CPPFLAGS"
        ;;

then just add those option flags to the ./configure and run make

• what means "5VReg -> 3.3V" in raspberry? can connect directly to 3.3V or if requied connecto to 5V with regulator to obtain 3.3v?

• Hi 🙂 Does anybody know how to use MY_SIGNING_NODE_WHITELISTING in gateway raspbery pi? Where I must create/edit white list with my nodes?

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics