💬 Motion Sensor

• Is it possible to break both interrupt pins on a board? cus with or without a pir, the serial monitor keeps getting spammed.

• Hi to everyone,
    it's possible to connect more than one PIR Sensor to the same board ?
    In case if it's possible, there's a limit on that number ?

Thank you for your help

• Mod

@Mercury69 do you want to know which pir fired, or just combine them all?

• @Yveaux
    Hi Yveaux, I want to know if it's possible to connect more than one PIR sensor at the same node and if there's a limit on the number.

I mean the possibility to have only 1 node with connected more PIR sensor in order to avoid the moltiplication of the assembly composed by arduino+radio+PIR+power supply.

I imagine (but I'm not sure) if I connect more PIR sensor to the same PIN3 on arduino node I will obtain a "network" of PIR Sensor reacting as a single element to a possible presence, without the possibility to differentiate the area interested by the alarm.

If I can differentiate the PIN where I can connect the PIR sensor, maybe I can get information from each single area of detection controlled by the PIR sensor.

Thank you for your attention.

• @Mercury69 PIR is based on interrupts, which wake-up processor from sleep mode, Arduinos based on ATMEGA328 have only two these pins, pin 2 and 3.

You can use 2 PIRs with detection which was fired, if you need more than two PIRs you can connect each PIR to any digital input of arduino and common signal OR-ing from all PIRs to generate interrupt to pin 2 or 3. Then if you wake-up by interrupt you can software test all of digital inputs and resolve which PIR was fired.

• Mod

@xlibor said:

ANDed

Better ORed, or all your sensors have to trigger at the same time to wake up the Arduino ;-)

For the rest @xlibor is right: OR-ing PIR triggers into a single wake-up signal can be as simple as using a diode per PIR and a resistor:

alt text

Ref: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/diodes/diode-applications

• Do you have an example sketch of connecting two PIRs to one Arduino? Would really need that in my setup.

• @Patrik-Söderström said:

Do you have an example sketch of connecting two PIRs to one Arduino? Would really need that in my setup.

And so do I. Have tried to accomplish this as my first mysensors project, but coming up short... :-(

• Hi all

I have build a node with this setup.
    It is an Arduino Pro Mini with a SR501 and a RFL01. Arduino and sensor converted to 3.3V.
    Motion is detected like it should, no trouble.

But everytime my arduino hits this :

// Sleep until interrupt comes in on motion sensor. Send update every two minute.
        sleep(digitalPinToInterrupt(DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR), CHANGE, SLEEP_TIME);

the node returns a "high"... meaning there's motion (where there is not actually)
    So my notification board gets a new entry every two minutes...

Is this normal beahaviour ? (Hope not!!! ;) )

• Hi ben999
    I don't know what your sketch looks like but in my implementation I catch the movement in a boolean variable called tripped which I use to set the message sent to the controller.

// Read digital motion value
    boolean tripped = digitalRead(DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR) == HIGH; 
    send(msgm.set(tripped?"1":"0"));  // Send tripped value to gw

Then I do some other stuff based on tripped being true or false.
    Before the node goes to sleep I reset tripped. Otherwise I will get the old value back next time the node wakes up after SLEEP_TIME regardless if there is movement or not.

// Sleep until interrupt comes in on motion sensor but send update every minute. 
      tripped = false;  //reset tripped
      sleep(INTERRUPT,CHANGE, SLEEP_TIME);

It goes without saying that SLEEP_TIME will have to be longer than the reset time of the sensor itself. My sensor element resets in about 20 seconds, which puts a lower limit to SLEEP_TIME.

• So my notification board gets a new entry every two minutes...

The SLEEP_TIME define tells your board to wake up every two minutes regardless of whether there is an interrupt. If you want longer, increase this value. I think you can also set it to 0 to only wake on interrupts.

• @bgunnarb
    Thank you very much for your message
    I added tripped = false; to my sketch but that didn't change the general behaviour : sensor still give false trigger when coming out of sleep period...

@Graham
    Thank you very much for your message as well

I might not have described my problem precisely enough :
    Motion sensor will be used as part of an house alarm
    I have set up a very simple rule for now (home.rules) stating that

when sensor changed from CLOSED to OPEN
       then sendBroadcastNotification(to me)

This works fine and node comes out of sleep when motion triggers the interrupt. All fine.

Trouble is when we get to the end of the sleeptime... node comes out of sleep and i get a "tripped" that sends me a notification (or later on will set the siren on!!!)

@Graham 's idea is pretty good: keep node asleep forever until interrupt kicks in...
    But nodes do have temperature, humidity and battery statuses to share...

I tried to load the basic sketch (ignoring temp, hum and batt) but node still behaves the same... :(

Does it not do the same at yours ?

#define MY_RADIO_NRF24

#include <MySensors.h>

unsigned long SLEEP_TIME = 120000; 
    #define DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR 3
    #define CHILD_ID 1

MyMessage msg(CHILD_ID, V_TRIPPED);

void setup()
    {
        pinMode(DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR, INPUT); 
    }

void presentation()
    {
        sendSketchInfo("Motion Sensor", "1.0");
        present(CHILD_ID, S_MOTION);
    }

void loop()
    {
        bool tripped = digitalRead(DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR) == HIGH;
        send(msg.set(tripped?"1":"0")); 
    }

Thanks a lot for your help

• @ben999 The sketch you have will report the state of the pin every 2 minutes as well as when interrupted by motion.

If the SR501 is still within its timeout after the last motion detected, the pin will still be high. Eventually, (the maximum length of time is about 10 minutes) the pin should go low. If it doesn't, there is a fault with the SR501.

The timeout can be adjusted by one of the dials (see http://henrysbench.capnfatz.com/henrys-bench/arduino-sensors-and-input/arduino-hc-sr501-motion-sensor-tutorial/#Time_Delay_Adjustment). I'm not sure what the shortest period is, but it is probably less than two minutes, which would send 0 in the next message.

You would, however, get another interrupt if more motion occurred before the two minutes are up.

• @Graham Thank you for your reply

SR501 seem to work fine on two fronts:

• the arduino IDE serial monitor shows the SR501 going ON then OFF after 5s (as per dial)
    • same serial monitor shows that sensor gets motion when it occurs...

I'll have a go with another node just to be sure

Thanks again for your help (both of you :) )

• If I wanted to add two PIRs to one sensor-node would this sketch work?

/**
     * The MySensors Arduino library handles the wireless radio link and protocol
     * between your home built sensors/actuators and HA controller of choice.
     * The sensors forms a self healing radio network with optional repeaters. Each
     * repeater and gateway builds a routing tables in EEPROM which keeps track of the
     * network topology allowing messages to be routed to nodes.
     * Created by Henrik Ekblad <henrik.ekblad@mysensors.org>
     * Copyright (C) 2013-2015 Sensnology AB
     * Full contributor list: https://github.com/mysensors/Arduino/graphs/contributors
     * Documentation: http://www.mysensors.org
     * Support Forum: http://forum.mysensors.org
     * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
     * modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
     * version 2 as published by the Free Software Foundation.
     * REVISION HISTORY
     * Version 1.0 - Henrik Ekblad
     * DESCRIPTION
     * Motion Sensor example using HC-SR501
     * http://www.mysensors.org/build/motion
     */

// Enable debug prints
    // #define MY_DEBUG

// Enable and select radio type attached
    #define MY_RADIO_NRF24
    //#define MY_RADIO_RFM69

#include <MySensors.h>

unsigned long SLEEP_TIME = 120000; // Sleep time between reports (in milliseconds)
    #define DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR_1 2
    #define DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR_2 3  // The digital input you attached your motion sensor.  (Only 2 and 3 generates interrupt!)
    #define CHILD_ID_1 1   // Id of the sensor child
    #define CHILD_ID_2 2   // Id of the sensor child

// Initialize motion message
    MyMessage msg(CHILD_ID_1, V_TRIPPED);

void setup()
    {
        pinMode(DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR_1, INPUT);      // sets the motion sensor digital pin as input
        pinMode(DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR_2, INPUT);      // sets the motion sensor digital pin as input
    }

void presentation()
    {
        // Send the sketch version information to the gateway and Controller
        sendSketchInfo("Motion Sensor_Dual", "1.0");

// Register all sensors to gw (they will be created as child devices)
        present(CHILD_ID_1, S_MOTION);
        present(CHILD_ID_2, S_MOTION);
    }

void loop()
    {
        bool tripped_1 = digitalRead(DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR_1) == HIGH;
        bool tripped_2 = digitalRead(DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR_2) == HIGH;

Serial.println(tripped_1 || tripped_2);
        if(tripped_1){
        send(msg.set(tripped_1?"1":"0"));  // Send tripped value to gw
        }
        if(tripped_2){
        send(msg.set(tripped_2?"1":"0"));  // Send tripped value to gw
        }
        // Sleep until interrupt comes in on motion sensor. Send update every two minute.
        sleep(digitalPinToInterrupt(DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR_1 || DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR_1), CHANGE, SLEEP_TIME);
    }

I know PIN 2 is supposed to be connected to the radio but I read somewhere that it is not used.

• @ben999 Did you get your sensor sorted? I have the same issue with the sensor reporting tripped after going out of sleep, same goes for wait. Putting the exact same logic in a sketch without MYS and I have no issues... going crazy soon

• Does anyone know why my sensor only reacts when I move my hand just in front of it. From a distance it does not work. Has tested with different HC-SR501 PIR and adjusted also and various radio but all gave the same result.

/**
     * The MySensors Arduino library handles the wireless radio link and protocol
     * between your home built sensors/actuators and HA controller of choice.
     * The sensors forms a self healing radio network with optional repeaters. Each
     * repeater and gateway builds a routing tables in EEPROM which keeps track of the
     * network topology allowing messages to be routed to nodes.
     * Created by Henrik Ekblad <henrik.ekblad@mysensors.org>
     * Copyright (C) 2013-2015 Sensnology AB
     * Full contributor list: https://github.com/mysensors/Arduino/graphs/contributors
     * Documentation: http://www.mysensors.org
     * Support Forum: http://forum.mysensors.org
     * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
     * modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
     * version 2 as published by the Free Software Foundation.
     * REVISION HISTORY
     * Version 1.0 - Henrik Ekblad
     * DESCRIPTION
     * Motion Sensor example using HC-SR501 
     * http://www.mysensors.org/build/motion
     */

// Enable debug prints
    // #define MY_DEBUG

// Enable and select radio type attached
    #define MY_RADIO_NRF24
    //#define MY_RADIO_RFM69

#include <SPI.h>
    #include <MySensors.h>

unsigned long SLEEP_TIME = 120000; // Sleep time between reports (in milliseconds)
    #define DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR 3   // The digital input you attached your motion sensor.  (Only 2 and 3 generates interrupt!)
    #define CHILD_ID 1   // Id of the sensor child

// Initialize motion message
    MyMessage msg(CHILD_ID, V_TRIPPED);

void setup()  
    {  
      pinMode(DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR, INPUT);      // sets the motion sensor digital pin as input
    }

void presentation()  {
      // Send the sketch version information to the gateway and Controller
      sendSketchInfo("Motion Sensor", "1.0");

// Register all sensors to gw (they will be created as child devices)
      present(CHILD_ID, S_MOTION);
    }

void loop()     
    {     
      boolean tripped = digitalRead(DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR) == HIGH; 

Serial.println(tripped);
      send(msg.set(tripped?"1":"0"));  // Send tripped value to gw 

}

• Mod

@miro
    have you tried to power he sensor with external 5v instead of 5v pin from arduino?

• Hi all,

The motion sensor project is my first using Arduino and MySensors! I've managed to get the Gateway all up and running and the motion sensor to communicate with it (using the standard ino file from the project page), but I seem to have a couple of issues:

• Despite the default sleep time it seems to be communicating with the Gateway constantly.
    • Permanently displayed as in an 'On' state in Domoticz.

I've tried adjusting the sensitivity and time but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I don't know which bit is supposed to contain the values which I can decipher with the serial protocol guide so apologies if the answer is staring me in the face!

Gateway received
    0;255;3;0;9;TSF:MSG:READ,1-1-0,s=1,c=1,t=16,pt=0,l=1,sg=0:1
    1;1;1;0;16;1

Node sent
    1383086 TSF:MSG:SEND,1-1-0-0,s=1,c=1,t=16,pt=0,l=1,sg=0,ft=0,st=OK:0
    1383106 MCO:SLP:MS=120000,SMS=0,I1=1,M1=1,I2=255,M2=255
    1383120 MCO:SLP:TPD
    1383127 MCO:SLP:WUP=1

Any help would be appreciated :)

• Mod

try to use a 10uF or bigger capacitor on the 5v and GND, I had issues with mine triggering randomly and after using a stable 5v supply it got back to normal: in fact later on when I added the capacitor to help the NRF24 radio it also stabilized the 5V for the sensor and it is now working fine.
    Did you try to use just a sleep(2000) without the interrupt? Just to check if it is going to sleep correctly

Looks like your connection to MySensors Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.