Looking for tips on mounting thermal fuses.

• I have had some trouble with thermal fuses like these when building some of my in wall light switch/scene controllers. I need to be SUPER CAREFUL when soldering these as the heat from the soldering iron can cause them to blow.
    0_1495252647546_upload-b0f6efaf-c217-47f0-a162-cbf410145339
    The ones I have are 73°C fuses that I am using for added protection with my HLK-PM01 power modules. Just working on one controller yesterday, I blew 3 of them just trying to get them soldered to the board. GOOD THING I had extras and was able to get the board going, but now I am out. Does anyone have any good suggestions for mounting/using these?

• @dbemowsk this also happened to me. Those fuses are very hard to solder without damaging them. I tried to use alligator clips to act as heat brakes but with no success.
    I finally managed to solder them using a third hand and dipping the body in cold water like in this
    this video

So in the end it is the fist component I solder on my board. Not very convenient :(

• I just ordered 20 more for my parts bin. You can kind of see in this picture, I soldered the one in and blew it, so I just cut the leads leaving them stubbed off so I could solder the new one to those leads rather than try to remove and re-mount it to the board.
    0_1495260820556_upload-8d6324d5-a97a-4021-a42d-73c3eb23199f

• Mod

@dbemowsk Bit lame, but you could mount them in a screw terminal block.

• Mod

Gripping it with nose pliers between the fuse itself and where you are soldering should absorb a lot of the heat, especially id you make sure the pliers are cold when you start soldering. Nose pliers can absorb much more heat than alligator clips.

But I like Yveaux's idea to not solder at all. How about soldering female header pins and just stick the thermal fuse in?

• I just wrap it with wet toilet paper, works every time.

• @mfalkvidd I am just guessing here because I have not actually tried it, but I am guessing that the holes would be too small on the female header. In order to get it to fit in the proto-board that I use, I have to drill the hole slightly larger which is why I think that, but it never hurts to try. Making the holes larger on the PCB is one of the main reasons why when these have blown on me I have cut the leads and left them in the board. I was afraid that the pads on the board would lift if I did because making the holes larger I am sure took away the thru-hole plating.

• @dpressle I was thinking more last night and thought about putting an ice cube in a bag and holding it on there while I solder it.

@dpressle said in Looking for tips on mounting thermal fuses.:

I just wrap it with wet toilet paper, works every time.

Haha that's a funny way to do it, but the concept is good thank you for the idea
    I didn't have problem before but as a precaution I'll use with a small sponge for soldering iron, it will hold more water, be less messy and resist to heat.

• @Nca78 said in Looking for tips on mounting thermal fuses.:

I'll use with a small sponge for soldering iron, it will hold more water, be less messy and resist to heat.

Another good idea. Thanks.

• Hardware Contributor

Am i the only one that struggles my as off with 4 pairs of pliers on these little annoying things?

• Hardware Contributor

My only precaution is to raise(!) the soldering iron temperature. It allows a fast action with less propagating heat. It sounds foolish, but I actually like it and rarely fail.

• @m26872 I will definitely have to try this. Something I hadn't thought of, but makes sense.

• Hardware Contributor

@m26872 - I do this too, hotter the iron is the better for me. Hotter and quicker wins the race.

Looks like your connection to MySensors Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.