Disclaimer: This is a proof-of-concept. It doesn't work. Things will change, and will break. In fact, I'm sure many things are broken right now. It would be pretty stupid to use this for anything important. I'm just putting this in the public to gauge interest. You have been warned.
If you are like me, you want to put approximately half a million MySensors nodes around the house. You've probably already built the first few nodes, so it feels like you are most of the way there. You love the soldering and the building. However, the coding isn't exactly fun. It requires reading through docs, then trying and failing, and rinse and repeat until you get it right.
This tool doesn't solve that problem yet, but it aims to. It aims to provide a simple browser-based UI for configuring your network, and then generating the firmware for the node automatically, using whatever's the best-practice for writing the firmware. This tool writes your code for you!
- You don't have to write code! This web page does it for you!
- Security built in by default.
- Uses the awesome NodeManager by @user2684 under the hood.
- The web-page, once loaded, works completely offline. You do not need an Internet connection to use this tool! (Try it!)
- No sign up, no registration. In fact, there's no server, or no central database. Your data doesn't even leave your browser.
- There's no server, so there's no network communication and everything's local, so it's blazing fast!
- That bears repeating: The firmware is generated inside your browser, without using any cloud that will rain down on you. Isn't it awesome what browsers can do these days?
- Needs a pretty modern browser. Tested on Chrome and Firefox. Untested on IE.
- Doesn't work on mobile devices (yet). Might work in Chrome/Android, but it's untested. Other browsers would need a server-side component to get them to behave.
- I have Google Analytics on the site, just to gawk at some graphs. All GA data is anonymous.
- Well, it looks ugly.
- The code it generates hasn't been tested. This is just a proof of concept. DO NOT depend on this.
- The code, especially the security bits, require review. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've done it wrong.
- They say, 'if you aren't ashamed of it, you've released too late'. I'm definitely releasing too early.
With that summary out of the way, I'd love it if you could poke around and let me know what you think. You don't need to download or install anything - it's just a web page - so just click the link above. I'm trying to gauge interest in the community for this, to decide if it's worth pursuing.
Would you like me to spend time on making this better?
The icon to download firmware is on the top-right of the page, and you can see it on the pages for either the nodes you create, or on the page for the gateway. You can create nodes by selecting your network in the left hand side navigation, and clicking on the
+ icon at the top right of the page.
The firmware is downloaded as a zip, which contains a SecurityPersonalizer with your security settings, and the main sketch which runs on your node. Currently, the firmware might not even compile.
Hope this gives an idea of what I have in mind, even if it doesn't actually work.
All manner of suggestions and feedback is welcome.