Sensebender Micro...no GW?

• Does anyone have a working example or pointers on how I would go about laying down a simple sketch with nRF24 support, static addressing is fine and a single OneWire temp sensor? I bought a couple of Sensebenders because I really liked the idea of a batt operated, basic board with nRF24 support/sockets but I don't need a controller and my platform of choice (Particle Photon) is not a supported GW in mysensor so I'd rather just get something together that works and move on. If not, anyone in the US can have the things. I will say I am seriously disappointed in this forum as I have reached out on two other occasions without so much as "can't be done" or anything....

Hi Lucas, I did see your earlier posts, but in it you asked about connecting to a Photon with which I have no experience so I did not reply. You're likely treading brand new ground with that, so that's likely why no one else responded. MySensors consists of 3 main components: a Controller (typically a Home Automation platform); a Gateway which translates commands between the controller and sensors; and one or more Sensors. If you'd like to use the Photon to perform the function of both the gateway and the controller, then you'll likely need to write your own code to do so. Alternately, you could use something like the MysController which is a free software app that gives you basic controller functionality. You would still need an Arduino with NRF radio as a gateway to talk to the sensors.

Cheers
    Al

• So the sensebender can't be put to work without the full mysensor setup?

@Lucas-Figg Technically the Sensebender is just an Arduino with integrated temp/humidity sensors and could be used without the MySensors ecosystem. It has additional IO pins so more sensors could be hooked up to it and likely a different radio module as well.

Cheers
    Al

• Which I am fine with...I have a working nRF radio on my Photon so I was hoping I could strip all the mysensor stuff out (which is impressive but not going to work for me for now) and just treat the sensebender like Arduino micro or something. I am more familiar with particle stuff and haven't done anything in pure play arduino but willing to learn, just need a bit of help and I will do the work. Not asking for anyone to do it for me.

@Lucas-Figg Should be possible with the basic NRF libraries: https://github.com/maniacbug/RF24

Cheers
    Al

• Sounds good, thanks.

• Hello @Lucas-Figg
    I am also keen on the idea of running a mysensor network without a full blown controller, so I am using an ESP8266 as a gateway to the cloud, but also as a controler, and as a sensor. It should be possible to do the same on the Spark/Particle but I suggest that you just buy a 5$ ESP8266 NodeMCU since it's ported allready as a gateway, and you can easilly add your favourite IoT cloud based platform.

For more details, look here:
    http://forum.mysensors.org/topic/1973/esp8266-as-wifi-gateway-controller-node

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics