Help to send string as payload

• I am pretty new to programming and Arduino. I have made a temp sensor, and all are OK, but I need to send the value to the controller as a string, or a char. How can I convert the float to a string.

I have tried with :

char charVal[6];
    dtostrf(temperature,6,1,charVal);
    send (msg.setSensor(i).set(charVal));

It converts right, but when I got the readings in the controller I got 20, if the temp actually are 23.

Please help

@Christian-Rogne Hi and welcome.
    You should not be bothered with these conversions as MySensors takes care for you. Look at the "setters" on the API page (scroll far down)

• Maybe normally not. The Vera Controller reads the value nicely whatever which type this is. But the Vera are connected to a Control4 controller, this wants the value to be a string or int. I have managed the value to be an int, but then I do not have any decimals. So it would be nice if I could have it to be a string

• Admin

Are you sure you send a correct value? Did you try printing the char-buffer before sending it?

dtostrf should be the correct function to use.

• I have tried different things, the thing I have changed, is the type of value who would be send from the sensor.
    The default :
    send(msg.setSensor(i).set(temperature,1));

gives me the following error in Control 4 :

number 1
    string UPDATE
    parent 26
    room 1
    subcategory 0
    [string "Lua Code"]:120: bad argument #1 to 'SetVariable' (strValue should be a string) (ReceivedFromProxy)
    altid 5;0
    id 40
    temperature 23.5

I tried to add the lines :

char charVal[6]; //temporarily holds data from vals
    dtostrf(temperature,6,1,charVal);

and changed the send to :

send(msg.setSensor(i).set(charVal));

But the same happens

If I cast the temperature to int I got the it, but without decimals

If I try with :

String  string = "24,8";