Synthetic Sensors

• Hardware Contributor

@korttoma - cool! I wonder how solid they are - say if you move your blender to somewhere else and then creates a new "pattern". Well, really cool anyway!

• This is certainly very good approach for SOME kind of problems, but surely not all as they claim ... measuring water usage with that ? if there are only on/off states then maybe yes but not for a tap with regulation.

• Hardware Contributor

That's very interesting, but I suspect it's still at the "Kickstarter video" stage at the moment, with things like graph and events added in post production to the computer screen.

I see no way the accelerometer on the board that seem to have a flimsy plug would be triggered (especially on 3 axis as seen on the screen) when you use the faucet over one meter away ? Same for kitchen doors opening, if they don't squeak and you're at the other side of the kitchen. There's no way the 8x8 grideye sensor can know which boiler is on from 3 meters away. Etc etc.

But I'll read the paper tomorrow, hoping I'm wrong as it's really cool 😄

• Mod

It will be all down to signal processing. Smartbands can detect movements but they can interpret them in order to understand what we are doing. These new multi sensors maybe they could really detect all those things but they would need to be trained. Think about this: Mercedes is now sending out to dealerships 3 modified dlink wifi routers that are plugged on wall sockets near the entrance of the dealership and will monitor how customers are moving around; they use both WiFi and Bluetooth on mobile phones to triangulate the position but they required me to do some initial calibration before they could start collecting data.

• Hardware Contributor

@gohan said in Synthetic Sensors:
    Mercedes is now sending out to dealerships 3 modified dlink wifi routers that are plugged on wall sockets near the entrance of the dealership and will monitor how customers are moving around; they use both WiFi and Bluetooth on mobile phones to triangulate the position.

This isnt so new 🙂 I work as a storemanager for a retail chain and we have been trying this for atleast a couple of years. You can get all kind of statistics like how long people stay in one area, and how they move (ie which area is most important). With this you can add cameras for counting and other image processing. This is what we use.

• Mod

I am not saying it is new technology, I just wanted to point out that the system need some training or tuning before it can work; unless they sample beforehand all blenders, coffe grinders, stoves and so on.

• There are someting "fishy" here 🙂 accelerometers detecting motion when connected to the wall? are the coffee machine shaking walls? and what about motion detectors if you leave water running ... hehe.
    but something can be used. microphone will detect machines and motors when a good software behind can recognize that noise,but for measure waste of water or power you can have a one power meter or water meter from mysensors projects for the entire house 😛
    that amg8833 is an ir sensor.. for me its good to detect fire or a over heated machine or motor . useful if applied on a co2 or fire alarm sensor or even on burglar alarm. but only the ir sensors cost more than 20euros .imagine total cost of that board

• Mod

Of course it is not shaking the wall, but vibrations can be detected quite far away

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics