Powering LED strip lighting

• Looking to run a few sections of LED strip accent lighting around my bar and home theater. I want to tie a few strands together, hide wiring, and power them from a hidden outlet as a permanent install.

What do you guys suggest in terms of wiring to connect between the strips? Roughly 20 feet of routing between one strip and 8 feet the other.

I plan to tie it to a MySensors relay and turn on/off via my Vera. Probably set to a scene, and tied to zwave led dimmer/switch.

These are the strips. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L74ROFC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How much current does these strips draw?
    I read it is 12 Volts but what counts for wiring is the current...

• I have read a couple of different draws for these strips, and current(ly) do not know for sure.

I have seen posted from 0.08 watts per LED, to 0.2 watts per LED.

eBay kits are sold with 5m strands, 300 LEDs, with 5A/12V power supplies though, making the draw 60W, or 0.2w/LED...

0.2 Watt per LED seems reasonable, so 60 Watt or 5A @ 12 V per strip.

If you want to have not too much voltage drop over the 20/8 feet you should use a cable that has low resistance, only 1 Ohm gives 5 Volts voltage drop...

Maybe better to run 110/230 Volts to the strip and have the power supply there.

• @daulagari Indeed it appears they may be optimal to keeping the lights equal(or similar) brightness. I was hoping to use just one dc converter, perhaps Ill just have to bite it and install a few, all MySensors connected of course.

Thanks.

• Admin

for a standard 220V appliance cord with 0.75mm2 (square mm) you have a resistance of 1 ohm for each 43m

for 20 feet (6.1 meters), the resistance is 0.142 ohm, with 5A load, you have a drop of 0.7V..

for 8 feet (2.5m) the resistance is 0.06ohm, again with 5A load, you have a drop of 0.3V

So only 0.4V in difference...

/ Thomas

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics