[SOLVED] Error building ESP32 node: multiple definition of `app_main'

• I am trying to build a simple MySensors node based on an ESP32 board (WEMOS LOLIN32). When compiling/linking I get this error:

/var/folders/kp/0pvgxrnd3jn33s22hqwphrw00000gn/T/arduino_cache_624989/core/core_efeb97a62522d93e012a29bee7d9532f.a(main.cpp.o): In function `app_main':
    /Users/willem/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp32/hardware/esp32/1.0.1/cores/esp32/main.cpp:30: multiple definition of `app_main'
    sketch/test1.ino.cpp.o:/Users/willem/Documents/Arduino/libraries/MySensors/hal/architecture/ESP32/MyMainESP32.cpp:44: first defined here
    collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Can someone explain this error?
    BTW: I can successfully build other sketches for this board; it's just when I #include mysensors.h when things go wrong. I get the same results building on Arduino or PlatformIO.
    It's this simple test sketch that I'm trying to build:

#define MY_DEBUG
    #define MY_RADIO_RF24
    #define MY_NODE_ID 42

#include <SPI.h>
    #include <MySensors.h>

#define CHILD_ID 3
    #define BUTTON_PIN 12

MyMessage msg(CHILD_ID, V_TRIPPED);

void setup() {
        pinMode(BUTTON_PIN, INPUT);
        digitalWrite(BUTTON_PIN, HIGH);
    }

void presentation() {
        present(CHILD_ID, S_DOOR);
    }

void loop() {
        static int oldValue = 0;
        int value = digitalRead(BUTTON_PIN);

if (value != oldValue) {
            send(msg.set(value == HIGH ? 1 : 0));
            oldValue = value;
        }
        wait(200);
    }

• Hardware Contributor

Hi.

Do you use MySensors master branch??
    If so, try to use the development branch, it should work.

Side note:

• you don't need to add spi.h
    • I'm not sure if you can use esp as a node in MySensors. As nodes, if I'm not wrong, people use esp as gateways+sensors connected (when you need), but not as nodes.
      I never tried esp as mysensors nodes; in that case I usually use direct mqtt or http api. I get it why using them as simple mcus for nodes, but I prefer better lowpower mcus for nodes.. so I can't tell you more on this point.
    • for a simple esp32 gw sketch you can take a look in your Arduino IDE/Examples/MySensors, and of course in MyConfig.h for others defines.

I hope this helps.

• You can also try to use esp32 board definition v1.0.0. I guess you are now using 1.0.1

• I am using the latest stable version (2.3.1).
    I want to use the ESP32 board because I am building a rather huge sketch (lots of UI and data RAM requirements) and I also need a WiFi connection. I did not know that the ESP32 support in MySensors is only meant to build gateways.
    I have also tried building the ESP32 Gateway example, but this produces the same error.
    (BTW: I have successfully built the ESP8266 + MQTT gateway).

• @electrik : downgrading the board definition to 1.0.0 worked. I can now build the ESP32 gateway.
    However, I'm not quite there yet, because I get an endless series of "Brownout detector" messages:

Brownout detector was triggered

ets Jun  8 2016 00:22:57

rst:0xc (SW_CPU_RESET),boot:0x13 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
    configsip: 0, SPIWP:0xee
    clk_drv:0x00,q_drv:0x00,d_drv:0x00,cs0_drv:0x00,hd_drv:0x00,wp_drv:0x00
    mode:DIO, clock div:1
    load:0x3fff0018,len:4
    load:0x3fff001c,len:808
    load:0x40078000,len:6084
    load:0x40080000,len:6696
    entry 0x400802e4
    17 MCO:BGN:INIT GW,CP=RNNGF---,REL=255,VER=2.3.1
    21 TSF:LRT:OK
    23 TSM:INIT
    24 TSF:WUR:MS=0
    30 TSM:INIT:TSP OK
    32 TSM:INIT:GW MODE
    34 TSM:READY:ID=0,PAR=0,DIS=0
    39 MCO:REG:NOT NEEDED

Brownout detector was triggered

• My simple sketch is now working fine. So it appears that you can use the ESP32 support in MySensors to build non-gateway nodes too.
    (For the moment, I am not going to investigate the "Brownout" problem in the ESP32 gateway example any further, because I have a perfectly working ESP8266 MQTT gateway...)
    Thank you both for your help!

• One more update:
    Because I mostly use PlatformIO as my IDE and I don't know how to downgrade board versions there,
    as @scalz suggested, I tried the development version of MySensors.
    I am happy to report that this also solves the problem.

Users

Topics