RFM69 moteino serial gateway freezes

After finally getting my sensible indication to work quite reliably, I'm experiencing problems with my serial gate on the dev branch as of some weeks ago. It works fine for several days, but at some point it stops responding. Restarting the serial connection is not sufficient, I have to physically unplug it to get it to respond again. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the board or software related? Has anyone else experienced similar issues? I'm using a moteino USB board with the RFM69HW radio.

It seems like my sensors are quite stable, they have not crashed for several weeks of operation.

• Admin

I do not know what happened to the other guy, but for my problems everything was related to the radio not receiving packets correctly when waking from sleep as I described in the thread. After resolving that issue, and switching to a frequency (from 868 to 869) outside of the allowed band because of radio noise my network became quite stable.

I did not post any more to the thread since I had already described my solution that worked :-). I think the problem I'm seeing now is not related to the same thing. My current theory is maybe that my USB cable was too long (15 m) so that the device did not receive enough power. I have moved closer to the computer to see if stability improves.

• Admin

15 m usb cable! Yeah, that would give some power drop.

• Mod

Yes, that is 3x the maximum length allowed by the specification.

@mfalkvidd The cable had some kind of repeater on it, and my rfxtrx433 has worked perfectly all the time, even with the MS gateway connected, so I thought the MS gateway should work also ☺

• Mod

The cable probably has a built-in 1 port USB hub then (actually two hubs if it is according to the specs since the maximum cable length between two usb hubs also is 5m). However, the cable will probably not be able to provide full power unless the cable also has a separate power supply.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics