What an interesting thread this became. Over some time/years ago I tried to start with MySensors. Unfortunately I failed miserably because I tried it to combine with starting with Openhab, and connect mysensors by mqtt.
The Openhab route combined with Mysensors is still the route I want to go: combine the open architecture of Openhab to connect different vendor approaches added with the flexible way of MySensors.
To be complete: My background is a bachelor in Physics. So the basic programming and electronics may not be the real problem, although I am certainly not claiming to know everything.
To end up this post: in the next couple of weeks/months I have spare time to invest in the project. When I combine this with the things the topic starter ave addressed I have the following to offer to the Mysensors community:
“I am offering to write and give feedback of the guides and information found in the forum, to document at what point I am stuck with the given information. I hope the community can and will do something with this feedback. So long as I am not going to be completely stuck, I can and will be writing the feedback.”
Off coarse I need to know if the community is waiting for such an approach before I start to write.
My thoughts of devices to use in the network:
- mqtt gateway: wired based on cloned arduine with hat ethernet
- mqtt gateway based on wifi based esp8266 nodemcu board
- radio network: base the nrf24 version
- radio network: based on rfm69 for secure transmission (opening doors with nrf24 does not feel safe)
- repeaters as needed or extra gateways (3 story concrete house)
- sensors and actuators: starting with wallpowered, later adding battery powered
So, how does this approach sound to you all?