EnergyMeterPulseSensor reporting incorrect power draw?

• Hi,

I'm using the unmodified code from EnergyMeterPulseSensor.ino (as my power meeter uses 1000 imp / kWh) with a Nano v3 (clone) and a LM393 Light Sensor. The Nano is powered via the USB-port from a 230 V wall plug, the radio is on the Nano's 3v3 pin, and the light sensor on the 5v pin. I'm using a Vera Edge UI7 as controller and having a Nano V3 (clone) as a serial gateway.

The issue I'm having is that the reported current wattage as well as the cumulative kWh is way of. I'm currently drawing 150 W +/- 5 W but the sensor is showing 615 watts current draw and within an hour the kWh has risen to almost 60 kWh as you can see below:

powerDraw.png

What could be the cause for this? Should I calibrate the sensor or something? Any suggestions at all are welcome! 🙂

Thanks,
    Tim

@twosh Are you able to measure the pulse output from the light sensor to see if you the right pulse rate comes in?

• @AWI said:

@twosh Are you able to measure the pulse output from the light sensor to see if you the right pulse rate comes in?

Thanks for the fast reply! I'm sorry, but I'm not sure how I would do that?

@twosh with a volt meter or by sending the pulse to serial print and looking at the serial output.

• @AWI Ok! I'll dig out my volt meter and try. I guess I'll measure between the digital out and ground?

@twosh sounds fine if you mean the digital out of the light sensor (or in of the Arduino) 😃

• Alright - as usual, the code and hardware is fine -> stupid user error! 😛

@AWI The pulses were indeed not reported as expected - thanks for putting me on the right track! The LM393 is directional and I had to bend it toward the power meter's light - I had it basically 90 degrees off (as it came in the mail). That done the values are absolutely perfect.

Big thanks to @AWI !

@twosh Glad it helped.. .I only learn the hard way myself

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics