Vera Edge

• Anyone using the Vera Edge? Comments? +/-?

• I'm using a vera edge with an ethernet gateway and it works fine. Took a little fiddling to get it working initially, but I now have my doorbell, several doors, and an LED strip all connected via mysensors and interacting with my zwave devices. For example, I have it set so that when the doorbell is rung, the LED strip (mounted above the door in our office) flashes a rainbow of colors since we can't always hear the doorbell. That's a mysensors node detecting the doorbell, telling the Vera that it's been tripped, and then the Vera triggers a scene that makes the mysensors LED strip flash.

• Hey,

I'm using Vera Edge with Serial Gateway.

Is not bad, well let me explain you first. I'm developer, I like very much the flexibility of OpenHAB for example. Vera provided me the best option for zWave devices (which I don't have yet ... but).I have Environmental Sensors (Temp, Hum, Light, Movement) all over the house and for now is working ok.

I feel there're things where Vera is not were I'd like to see it but maybe because I still need to learn more on it.

Visual integration is not one of my favourite things I have to say, but well, trying to get use to it 🙂

• I'm using Vera Edge. Have never gotten a serial gateway to work (all kinds of USB port issues)....

I've had an Ethernet gateway working fairly well. The gateway locks up every once in a while (every few weeks), but seems to be an GW issue and not really related to the Vera. When it works, it works pretty well.

It did take me a while to get it to this stability point, with lots of troubleshooting with the right vera files, etc, so feel free to ping me for learnings 🙂

• hey @stevebus,

I see in your signature you are posting data from your environment to Azure ... can you please share how are you doing that? I was planning investigate this and include PowerBI to 'dashborize' some results 🙂

• Is anyone else having serial gateway issues, this concerns me.

• @Dave-Dan - I actually haven't finished the Azure integration yet :-). I was working on it, but had some distracting other stuff come up. Essentially the short version of how I plan to do it is to is write an app, probably a Windows Universal app to run on a Raspberry PI that leverages the Vera APIs as described here -> http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/UI_Simple. The app will basically do a long poll waiting on events to happen on Vera, capture them, convert them to a canonical JSON format, and post them to Azure IoTHub. From there, I'll probably leverage Azure Steam Analytics for real time alerting, data aggregation, etc, but also to push the data to a PowerBI dashboard. That's my plan, anyway :-). Just gotta find time to write it. I've started the code that calls the APIs, but just haven't finished...

@csa02221862 - I've asked a few times and have yet to find anyone who has a serial gateway working on the Vera Edge with UI7 specifically (other Vera devices, and UI versions, yes, but not the Edge/UI7 combination). I gave up, even after working with Vera support to make it work, and use an Ethernet gateway. Doesn't mean it can't be done, just wasn't worth the investment after I finally got my Ethernet gateway to be pseudo-stable.

• @csa02221862
    I have Vera Edge working with serial Gateway.
    Mainly reading 4 temperature/humidity nodes and turning on and of my bathroom ventilation.
    Mode Nodes to come in near future 😉

The setup seams find to me

• Thanks @clio75 - that's good to hear. Are you using the Serial GW sketch pretty much unchanged and the UI7 branch of the files? I assume you had to open a ticket with Vera to get the USB port enabled on the Edge? I did that, and was in the process of trying to get the serial GW working, when a Vera update turned right around and disabled my USB port again...

• I'm using the Serial GW with no change from the web site. Didn't have to call Vera Support for anything. Happy to share version numbers, etc. if you want ( and if you tell me where to find them :P) but sounds little odd you have poblems and I don't.

I'm starting to think I should be thinking about moving to Ethernet GW ...

• Admin

It probably depends on the FTDI chip on the nano. Vera only has support for genuine (or clones presenting themselves as one).

• thanks guys - good discussion.

@hek - is there a reliable way to tell if the FTDI chip is genuine? I believe I bought it from the link on the mysensors site, but it's possible I didn't. Are those known to be genuine? if so, maybe I'll rebuy and retry. I'd rather have a serial GW if I can get it working.

@Dave-Dan - it seems that a long of the Vera Edge devices (mine included) come with the USB port disabled (because apparently MCV has had trouble making them work). It's a big topic on the MCV forums. I had to engage Vera support to even get my port enabled the first time I tried a serial GW. (it's disabled again right now, after the latest FW update... sigh...)

• Admin

@stevebus said:

Are those known to be genuine?

I can't guarantee anything.. The sellers change their sources from time to time. Suggest you search for "Nano FTDI genuine" on ebay/aliexpress.. If they aren't when they arrive just open a dispute with the seller.

Or buy a genuine Nano 🙂

Or build an ESP8266 gateway...

• Thanks Hek - the ESP8266 gateway was already on the list to investigate... so much cool stuff to do, so little time 🙂

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics