bluetooth instead of wifi

• Hi everyone !

I wonder if someone has already make his project using bluetooth instead of wifi. (because wifi is not the most safe for humans... sleeping etc)

What about the price between bluetooth/wifi transceiver ?

What about the code ?

Would it be more judicious using bluetooth ?

What do you think about this ?

Thank you for your replies.

• because wifi is not the most safe for humans... sleeping etc

what are you talking about???
    are you the ones that say wifi boils water on a cup?

mysensors library works on nrf24l01+ modules, Not wifi. its a kind of Bluetooth already... anyway Bluetooth is 2.4ghz like wi-fi, but Bluetooth consumes less power (Theoricly)

@magicguigui Neutral: bluetooth uses the same frequency carrier as wifi and similar modulation. The eventual consequences would we similar. I don't know of a Bluetooth implementation but guess it would be possible.

• Hi and thank you for replying.

My bad, I though bluetooth was more safe than wifi but you are right, the both are in the same frequency range.

So my question becomes: are there some new technologies using safety wireless protocol ?

Another question, in all your project, do the sensors' data be always sent to the gateway (so always wifi activated) ? or do you create something to activate the wifi only 1 time by hour or something like that ?

• Admin

@magicguigui said:

Another question, in all your project, do the sensors' data be always sent to the gateway (so always wifi activated) ? or do you create something to activate the wifi only 1 time by hour or something like that ?

No sure what you mean by "activated". Is that the same as listening? Then yes.. the gateway and repeaters is listening.

The sensors send a uSec burst of data when transmitting whenever you decide to send. Could be once an hour or every second. All up to your needs.

• Mod

Most sensors report only once per hour or so. Sending takes less than 10 milliseconds, so if you send once per hour the radio (not wifi, as @Tmaster mentioned before) is off more than 99.9997% of the time.

If you could clarify what safety problems you are worried about, we might be able to give a better answer.

• This is a interesting discussion, despite there are no proves that wi-fi its not safe... wifi routers uses so low power that in 20 m and a wall,signal is gone.
    Myself already serched about problems on wifi ,before have wi-fi and use wireless arduinos(nrf24..) ,but know i think its senseless.

before of all you shoud read how this "world" works. because compare nrf24l01 card with wifi is like compare a bicycle with a car...
    on temperature sensor for example ,each command activate the card for milisenconds and sleep again during 10 minutes (in my case).
    i guess put your head in to the sun makes more dammage and get more radiation thant this.... 🙂

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics