Gateway and Nodes with just ESP8266 (wireless network of sensors - wifi)

• I have a dream/wish 🙂 and I don't know if its already possible here with Mysensors. To have entire network wireless so Gateway and Sensor Nodes (like ESPEasy or Souliss). Since these esp's are so cheap (for example look at Wemos D1 Mini which has a built in usb-serial chip for ease of use) it makes sense to used them for deployment inside the house where one has power supply available (since esp without sleeping is a bit power hungry).

There are also some commercially available esp platforms emerging (like Sonoff and Slampher) and a rgb controller on aliexpress, also a rgblightbulb from vsfscan or something if forgot the name.

Is it already possible or is it planned? Hek?

• Admin

You can have multiple ESP gateways (with sensors attached to the gateway). Most controllers supports a multi gateway setup.

What you can't do right now is to have all ESP gateways terminate in one "super" gateway that relays messages to a controller. Probably possible but I haven't thought much about it. It's more of a ethernet-to-ethernet thing.

• Would each gateway then respond to the controller via wifi? Maybe with mqtt protocol if controller wouldn't have support for mysensors protocol?

@hek , have you seen this https://github.com/ESP8266nu/ESPEasyMySensors

And if you implement a "super"-gateway that one would gather information from all of the others?

• Can I please get some more feedback? Or else I'm never gonna start to use this hehe :D...Since my stuff is exclusivly currently based on esp8266 🙂

• Admin

No, I wasn't aware of the ESPEasyMySensors PoC. Nice.

And if you implement a "super"-gateway that one would gather information from all of the others?

Haven't really thought it through enough to say if it is realistic or worth the trouble. I mean data can flow directly from a ESP node to the controller. Why bother implementing another failure source by routing them through a single gateway. Unless you mean taking advantage of the Ad-hoc network features of WiFi to get more distance/coverage out of it.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics