MySensors Communication

• Hello guys,
    I am new in MySensors devices communicating with Controllers.
    So a question raised for me which hope you guys can clear that for me.

I see the sketches for MySensor (Devices) uses Arduino boards without WIFI module and then uses Radiolink (ex. NLF24L01) to communicate through WiFi/wireless.

My question is that, do we still need to use Radio link for devises which they already have WIFI ?
    For instance NodeMCU and Wemos Di mini for example have the WIFI ESP8266 on board.
    Can we use that for sending the messages to controller or we have to use another WiFi radio like NLF24L01 to communicate with controllers?

Many thanks,

• Mod

Hi @sghazagh, welcome to the MySensors community!

What you are looking for is what MySensors calls an esp8266 gateway with local sensors. See https://www.mysensors.org/build/esp8266_gateway and https://forum.mysensors.org/topic/5104/newbie-question/

• Hi,
    Thank you for your reply.
    I had seen that page before but I thought it is saying that I need to connect a Radio to NodeMCU.

Now that you mentioned the possibility and the link, I just have realized that the color showing on NodeMCU in fact try to show the identical Radio GPIOs on NodeMCU and it's not about connecting those two together.Am I correct?

So it make sense now!

The page is a little bit confusing. For newbies like me it some sort telling that you need to connect the GPIOs on NodeMCU identified by colors, to the Radio Module!

Just please confirm if I got your point correctly then I will try to use my NodeMCU/Wemos D1 mini device to see if I can set it up as a Gateway.

Once again, many thanks for your reply.

• Mod

@sghazagh good point. You can connect a radio, but it is not required. We should clarify that on the page, or create a separate page for "standalone" esp nodes. I'll look into that.

• I think I was wrong!
    I saw the post you gave and I also see this error:

0;255;3;0;9;TSM:PDT
    0;255;3;0;9;TSM:INIT
    0;255;3;0;9;!TSM:RADIO:FAIL
    0;255;3;0;9;!TSM:FAILURE
    0;255;3;0;9;TSM:PDT

So the Radio is required even if the NodeMCU itself has ESP8266 on board. Correct?

• Mod

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics