NodeMCU ESP-12 PIR Sensor Publish to MQTT Broker on PI over Wifi

• Ok, I've read and read and cannot find a suitable example that will dumb it down enough for me to comprehend so here I am. 🙂

I currently have OpenHab and my MQTT Broker running on a RPi-3. I also have multiple RPi-3s in closets around the house / land connected to SainSmart 16 Channel relays to turn on and off various lights. All this is working great. Now I wanted to add PIR sensors to some rooms so if a kid forgets to turn off their lights the PIR can via MQTT to the same relays. Also I have a tremendous wifi and switched network backend all done via Ubiquitys Unifi Switches and various Ubiquity wifi devices, enough to cover my whole 10 acres.

Because I do a lot with drones I was limited in my ability to utilize most all frequencies, even 433mhz range on any devices. Since I have a great wifi setup it made the most sense for me to use NodeMCUs with Wifi. I'm using the HC-SR501 PIR sensor connected VSS-3.3v, GND-GND, OUT-D0 but am clueless on how to configure it. I was able using the following sketch, from this site, to get the NodeMCU on the wifi-network but am clueless on how to setup the void loop. My current MQTT clients are RPi-3s running sensorReporter but this is greek to me. LOL Does anyone know of a good example I can use to make this work? I sure appreciate it.

// Enable debug prints to serial monitor
    #define MY_DEBUG

// Use a bit lower baudrate for serial prints on ESP8266 than default in MyConfig.h
    #define MY_BAUD_RATE 9600

// Enables and select radio type (if attached)
    //#define MY_RADIO_NRF24
    //#define MY_RADIO_RFM69

#define MY_GATEWAY_MQTT_CLIENT
    #define MY_GATEWAY_ESP8266

// Set this node's subscribe and publish topic prefix
    #define MY_MQTT_PUBLISH_TOPIC_PREFIX "sensors/laundry/main"
    #define MY_MQTT_SUBSCRIBE_TOPIC_PREFIX "sensors/landry/main"

// Set MQTT client id
    #define MY_MQTT_CLIENT_ID "sensors_laundry"

// Enable these if your MQTT broker requires usenrame/password
    #define MY_MQTT_USER "*********"
    #define MY_MQTT_PASSWORD "************"

// Set WIFI SSID and password
    #define MY_ESP8266_SSID "Batcave"
    #define MY_ESP8266_PASSWORD "***********"

// Set the hostname for the WiFi Client. This is the hostname
    // it will pass to the DHCP server if not static.
    // #define MY_ESP8266_HOSTNAME "sensors-laundry"

// Enable MY_IP_ADDRESS here if you want a static ip address (no DHCP)
    #define MY_IP_ADDRESS 10,0,0,51

// If using static ip you need to define Gateway and Subnet address as well
    #define MY_IP_GATEWAY_ADDRESS 10,0,0,1
    #define MY_IP_SUBNET_ADDRESS 255,255,255,0

// MQTT broker ip address.
    #define MY_CONTROLLER_IP_ADDRESS 10, 0, 0, 11

// The MQTT broker port to to open
    #define MY_PORT 1883

/*
    // Enable inclusion mode
    #define MY_INCLUSION_MODE_FEATURE
    // Enable Inclusion mode button on gateway
    #define MY_INCLUSION_BUTTON_FEATURE
    // Set inclusion mode duration (in seconds)
    #define MY_INCLUSION_MODE_DURATION 60
    // Digital pin used for inclusion mode button
    #define MY_INCLUSION_MODE_BUTTON_PIN  3

// Set blinking period
    #define MY_DEFAULT_LED_BLINK_PERIOD 300

// Flash leds on rx/tx/err
    #define MY_DEFAULT_ERR_LED_PIN 16  // Error led pin
    #define MY_DEFAULT_RX_LED_PIN  16  // Receive led pin
    #define MY_DEFAULT_TX_LED_PIN  16  // the PCB, on board LED
    */

#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>
    #include <MySensors.h>

void setup()
    {

}

void presentation()
    {
    	// Present locally attached sensors here
    }

void loop()
    {

}```

• Mod

@dwbro1 welcome to the MySensors community, great to have you here!

The sketch at https://www.mysensors.org/build/motion should have all the code you need. However, the hc-sr501 requires 5V to work properly (it does all sort of strange things if it does not get enough voltage) so you'll need a step-up or a 5V power supply.

• Mod

If you search around there should be a mod for the pir sensor to make it run on 3,3v if you are up for the challenge 😀

• @gohan I had let that slip my mind. Getting 5v to the PIR sensor is not a big deal that part I can handle.

It's the sketch that scares the hell out of me. LOL.

I looked over the motion sketch linked and still not any clearer. Yes I see the basics of reading the pin but it is setup to publish to a gateway not directly to the broker as a client via my wifi. 😞

What I need in the end which I know complicates the code greatly is:

1. Sensor does not detect movement for x number of minutes then it sends "OFF" to that lights topic.
    2. Sensor detects movement and sends "ON" message to lights topic then starts to monitor for non-movement as above in number 1 (eventually, I'd like to add a light sensor and not have it come on when light levels too high).

• Mod

Don't worry about it, it's one of the easiest sketches since it's a simple digital pin 😁

• @gohan "one of the easiest sketches" doesn't make me feel any better. hahahaha.. I sure appreciate any help. I have burned many brain cells getting this far with the Pi and sensorReporter the thought of plowing into another 6 month learning curve just turns me off right now and wife is starting to bitch at my half finished project. LOL

• Mod

I looked over the motion sketch linked and still not any clearer. Yes I see the basics of reading the pin but it is setup to publish to a gateway not directly to the broker as a client via my wifi. 😞

Yes it will publish to the gateway. As per your sketch above you have configured the gateway to publish to mqtt. That's it. No more work to be done 🙂

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics