Updating multiple LCD's from central computer

• I'm after some advice as to where to start (or hoping something already exists). I have a potential project for a family member that requires tags on cages. A geeky solution had been mentioned to setup some sort of LCD system to display cage information so I thought of MySensors.

Basically there would be up to 30 LCD's in the building that would require information displayed for each cage to be updated by a central machine (ideally Windows based but could be separate system or web based).

I already have a LCD setup at home which one arduino updates the remote LCD (based on the LCD example on the forums) but this seems to be a bit more involved to setup. Would one of the gateways support this sort of setup?

Thanks in advance and I'll keep this updated as I make progress.

• Admin

You could create your own dedicated controler, using c# (Or whatever language you prefer).

Use the serial gateway, to communicate with the network, from the computer.

Only detail is powering the devices.. You might need to have external power to the display units (battery would be drained too quick, if using standard 16x2 character LCD's off ebay)

(Actually it sounds like an interesting and fun project..)

• Contest Winner

@Kezza

If you use a controller like VERA, you can easily push data out to all of the nodes with a little lua (c like language) in recurring scenes. Any PC can easily send data to vera to pass on...

• Hi had a similar idea but not had enough time to build. I ended up in the stage of evaluating, but maybe it will help you.
    As Kezza told you, the problem is the power supply of that devices.
    If the devices aren't battery powered, a cheap solution is to use 16x2 LCD displays. If battery powered is a must you have to use low power displays. You can use ePaper/eInk displays which are quite exensive compared to those cheap 2x16 LCDs. Another interesing display technology is, SHARP memory lcd. These are special LCD with very low power consumption. e.g. the SmartWatch Pebble is using it.
    If ePaper/eInk or SHARP memory lcd, all of them are expensive and hard to get in low quantities. So if fixed power supply is possible i'd prefere this option because of costs.

• Admin

@BulldogLowell said:

@Kezza

If you use a controller like VERA, you can easily push data out to all of the nodes with a little lua (c like language) in recurring scenes. Any PC can easily send data to vera to pass on...

I think that pushing a vera into the loop, will make things more complicated, if all you need is to update the displays. Then you need to program the vera (lua), and make a GUI on the pc. At least if all you need is updating the displays. If you want to put in some automation rules, sensor data collection etc. into the loop, then yes.. Vera or something like that would probably fit.

One starting point could be to look at http://forum.mysensors.org/topic/643/serial-terminal for inspiration 🙂

/ Thomas

• Thanks for all the messages, I'd like to avoid having to buy something like vera if possible. I think trying to build something might be the best option although my skills aren't too great so might take a bit.

For power, the cages are 2 high with a strip of wood between them, my aim is to put LCD's on that strip and run a power wire along the length.

I think it will be around 3 text boxes to fill in which will update the LCD, all will have same format. Thanks for the link tbowmo, I think that could be just what I need to get started 🙂

• @tbowmo said:

You could create your own dedicated controler, using c# (Or whatever language you prefer).

Use the serial gateway, to communicate with the network, from the computer.

Only detail is powering the devices.. You might need to have external power to the display units (battery would be drained too quick, if using standard 16x2 character LCD's off ebay)

(Actually it sounds like an interesting and fun project..)

Do you have or know of any c# examples?

• Admin

@Kezza said:

Do you have or know of any c# examples?

No, but it shouldn't take that much time to cook something up.. Protocol description is available, and is relatively simple.

I'm on linux for home projects.. So no c# there.. (And I can't use the work computer, with win8 / c# installed, for home projects)

/ Thomas

• Hi have a look at nodered http://nodered.org. Easy to setup work flows and can run on any platform.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics