Beginner totally lost during installation of serial gateway

• Hello guys,

I'm totally lost during the installation process and I really hope you can guide me the way.

Honestly, I read several installation guides and several tutorials but none of them seem to work - maybe I'm doing something very "common" stuff wrong, because I'm not a Linux guy.

I first followed the instructions to build 2 Arduinos with nRF radio chips.
    One will be my gateway, one will be my "sensor" guy.

The gateway is attached via USB-cable directly to my Raspi, hosting Openhab2.
    The communication between Sensor-Arduino and Gateway seem to work, at least I get stable output from the Arduino-Com-Console.

What I want to do now is to "introduce" my Gateway to openhab2 - and I'm completely lost now 😞
    I tried the guide "https://forum.mysensors.org/topic/1194/tutorial-openhab-with-serial-gateway", added the item to my sitemap and it states "-", so no data available.
    I tried to check the logs of openhab2 but they seem to be not updated for one month (even after several restarts) - my other items I control with Openhab2 are working (Z-Wave-Stick controlled).

So the first step I fail at is
    "Start up openHAB with "/opt/openhab/start.sh". You should see something like:
    2015-04-02 20:05:30.731 [INFO ] [runtime.busevents ] - Arduino state updated to 0;0;3;0;14;Gateway startup complete."

What do I have to do exactly after I connected the Arduino gateway via USB?

BR,
    kreisch

@julian-kröhl oh, you have found a really old thread. 😄
    I suggest you to go with the binding or with the MQTT gateway.

• @timo
    Thanks, I will go on with the mqtt bridge but to be honest, the Entry for a beginner is huge - and I am from it sector, so no complete noob, only regarding to Linux 😉

• @julian-kröhl Firstly, are you familiar with OpenHab? If not, I'd suggest you pick a different controller, like Domoticz. OpenHab is much more advanced and more difficult to set-up for a beginner. Secondly, you have to do it step by step:

1. Setup a controller
    2. Connect the GW to the controller and make sure the controller is recognising it. - this is the step you have to concentrate right now.
    3. Only now start your sensor and make sure the sensor is talking to the GW.

• Follow this one and aks questions back: https://forum.mysensors.org/topic/6694/openhab-2-2-mysensors-serial-gateway-how-to-install.

This is the one I have used and more or less it works. I have intermitent disconnections, but I am not fully sure if it is due to a bad radio link...

After following the full tutorial of the link above, I noticed I was not being able to connect. I would suggest you skip the part about downloading MySensors.git. This will install an alternative driver that I found not needed.

It is important to give OpenHab access permissions to the binding:

cd /usr/share/openhab2/addons/
    sudo wget http://www.oberfoell.com/openhab2/org.openhab.binding.mysensors-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
    sudo chown openhab:openhab org.openhab.binding.mysensors-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

And to the USB connection:

sudo usermod -a -G dialout openhab
    sudo usermod -a -G tty openhab

In my configuration, I have a thing named "gw1" (this name you can change to whatever you like) defined for the gateway:

Bridge mysensors:bridge-ser:gw1 [ serialPort="/dev/ttyUSB0", sendDelay=200, startupCheckEnabled=false, networkSanCheckEnabled=false ] {
      // define things connected to that bridge here

}

As you can see, I am using directly ttyUSB0 to communicate to the serial gateway. You can check the right port by using the Arduino IDE in the Raspberry Pi and the serial monitor.

• https://forum.mysensors.org/topic/6694/openhab-2-2-mysensors-serial-gateway-how-to-install

No need to have a 2nd arduino connected through usb. Just attach a nrf chip directly to your pi

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics