Small RS485 network - questions.

• Hi Guys, I'm really new in MySensors topics so I decided to write new post with questions.

I want to create small network using RS485. I know that I have to prepare gateway (for me: Arduino Mega) and 3 nodes (any other Arduino). In the future I will connect gateway to the Hassio system (as the controller).

For now I want to connect nodes with gateway to exchange informations between them. It means, for example that I want to measure something on node1 and send it to the node3. And of course I want to send data to the gateway to keep it in the controller (hassio in the future).

Questions:

1. Will my network work without controller (only gateway + nodes)?
    2. It is possible to send something from first node to the other one?
    3. If I connect network to the controller it will be possible to set any parameters from this controller?
    4. What can I do first?

Thank You in advance.

• @szymo092 said in Small RS485 network - questions.:

1. Will my network work without controller (only gateway + nodes)?

No. (As always in software: it is possible, but you'd need additional coding...) So basically: MySensors should always be connected to a controller.

1. It is possible to send something from first node to the other one?

Yes. You have to add destination info when sending to another node.
    (for code examples on both - not using a controller and node-to-node communication, see the two sketches in https://github.com/rejoe2/SkiStopwatch).

1. If I connect network to the controller it will be possible to set any parameters from this controller?

For sure; this requires some receive() functionality - just the same as node-to-node messages, so see mentionned examples or one of the MySensors-counter-build examples.

1. What can I do first?

Make sure, only two of the RS485 Modules have the 120Ohms resistor and get your controller up and running 😁 .

• Thank You for Your answers. I will try to build network. So maybe I have to send informations from node1 to controller, but also to node3 using setDestination function. For now I have to start but I'm sure that it isn't end of questions.
    Thank You very much.

• Actually I have to disagree with @rejoe2 about:

Will my network work without controller (only gateway + nodes)?

With an Ethernet gateway it is entirely possible.

One more thing. If you are interested in building RS485 network, maybe you should have a look at my project. Earlier today I created a post about it on this forum. Here it is 🙂

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics