Where to start setting up MySensor without Vera controller

• Hi where do I begin if I don't have and Vera controller? What will the steps be to build a system that don't use the Vera controller. The documentation in how the build the sensors is great but to start integrating it into a home automation system I don't see how to go about do this. Where do the sendor get it address from is it from the controller or the gateway?

@Francois-Wessels Without some sort of controller, the sensor nodes will just keep sitting there, asking for auto addressing over and over again. At least that is what mine do when connected to a serial gateway to the Raspberry. You can of course set the nodes id manually, but that could get tedious after a while if you have tons of sensors and have to keep all the sketches separate even if they are of the same type.

What sort of hardware do you have, if any? A PC? Mac? Raspberry? Or are you looking for hardware as well? My experience so far is that the Raspberry is a tad slow and not your first choice if you can help it.

Some people here have started using the MQTT (ethernet) gateway or various MQTT scripts that communicate with either the serial or ethernet gateway. The problem here is that there is no real good controller software that uses MQTT. Except for maybe OpenHAB, but that is just too slow imo on something like a Raspberry. Took me 4 minutes to start on the Pi and 25s on an i7. And Domoticz for instance lacks a proper MQTT implementation.

I'm basically in the same position and I've gotten nowhere. I have high hopes for PIDOME though.

Here is a list of the software controllers I've found so far that will run on the Raspberry.

• @bjornhallberg Currently I am using the Pi but I will upgrade this to and Cubieboard or some other SOC board once the sensors is work without the Vera controller. If I have OpenHAB running will this give the sensor the address? How do you do that?

@Fwessels OpenHAB does currently not deal with assigning node IDs. I guess it is possible using the serial binding as I have seen described in another thread, but I don't think anyone has implemented it yet.

I have just finished porting one of the mqtt scripts to work with a serial connection as well as the existing socket interface, and am currently thinking of extending this (assuming that the author thinks it's a good idea) to assign node IDs. I think this should be relatively easy to implement, in which case that Perl script will be all you need between MySensors, a mqtt broker and openhab.

By the way, I'm running openhab on a five-year-year-old Intel platform running ubuntu server. It starts up in 10 to 15 seconds and is a more than powerful enough platform to handle every conceivable home automation need I can think of. And it was free since it was just lying around doing nothing. Okay, there is some noise and higher than necessary power consumption, but in a big house in Norway that is not a problem 🙂

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics