Improved Ethernet-gateway

• Plugin Developer

I did improve stability of ethernet-gateway in respect to reconnect:

https://github.com/ntruchsess/MySensors/blob/ethernet_gw/libraries/MySensors/examples/EthernetGateway/EthernetGateway.ino#L125

Issue with relying on server.available() + server.write() is that it allows to connect with multiple clients. That might be fine with other protocols, but doesn't make a lot of sense as the gateway is by design connected to a single controller only. It also has issues when (re-)connecting more than 4 times in a row without doing a proper shutdown of previous connections as both WIZ5100 and UIPEthernet support only a limited (4) connections in parallel and TCP-timeouts are quite long so the gateway wouldn't notice not being connected to a valid remote-socket any more if you e.g. do a hard power down and reboot of your controller.

The change I made makes sure that whenever the controller reconnects any previous connection is properly removed by calling client.stop().

Works using Arduino-IDE 1.0.6/1.5.7 (or later) as it makes use of operator== in EthernetClient (a change I added this to EthernetClient some month ago for this very purpose...)

• @ntruchsess Good job, I had to do this to WIZ5200 too, although it has bigger buffers/supports more client connections. Same situation for Iboard PRO (with onboard NET, I think 5100)

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics