Issues running node on Arduino Micro/Leonardo

• I spent weeks troubleshooting an arduino micro w/ RF24, it would seem after uploading the sketch, everything works. Then after 30 seconds, the node attempts to find parent, the gateway replies, but it's NACK and the node receives no data. it would stay in the find parent state, no matter what I do, until I give up and try again the following day where it would work briefly again.

I did the usual troubleshooting steps, clear EEPROM, add a capacitor, check for power issues. Got a new batch of radios in, same thing. Because I'm new with this and was not having any success, I was going to throw in the towel and give up. I decided to try an Uno clone, and it worked flawlessly!

Is there known issues when running RF24's on a Micro/Leonardo?

• Mod

@bean72 maybe the 3.3V regulator on the Micro is noisy? Nrf24 is very sensitive to noise.

You could try the Micro but use an external power supply for the nrf24.

• It's looking like a noise issue, I ran the RF24 directly off the 3.3v on the Uno (Which I know is stable), and I was getting successful communication. Would a larger capacitor help in this case, is there a maximum size I can use?

• Mod

@bean72 we do 't have conclusive data on that unfortunately.

In some cases, 4.7uF is good, sometimes 47uF is better. Some people use a combination of small and larger.

• @mfalkvidd I tried 100uF just now as a 47uF did not work for me, I seem to be getting a more stable connection. I’ll let it run for 24 hours and see how it goes, but it’s looking promising. Thanks!

• @mfalkvidd 100uF is looking to be the sweet spot for me. I was still getting some NACKs at first, but after moving the Micro further away from the gateway, it's got a more stable connection. Thank you for your help.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics