Homeassistant problem? Error decoding message from gateway, probably received bad byte.

• Setup:

• Pi 2
    • Serial Gateway: Pro Mini
    • Sensor Node: Pro Mini
    • MySensors v1.5
    • homeassistant 0.8.0

Everything seemed to be working fine. Node talking to Serial Gateway, posting message to HA. But when I upgraded homeassistant to 0.8.0, I started having issues. NODE and Gateway no longer talked.

I get this error now --> Error decoding message from gateway, probably received bad byte. when I bootup HA.

Does anyone know if HA works with Mysensor v1.5?

This is probably a HA issue.

• Plugin Developer

Yes it works, but there is an issue with pyserial used by pymysensors which is the interface to mysensors in home assistant. I've reported this problem to pyserial and pymysensors. There's a fix in the master branch of pyserial at github but no bugfix release as of yet that I know of. The problem was introduced in pyserial 2.6 though so you can downgrade to pyserial 2.5 after installing/upgrading home assistant.

Now I only get this problem first time I start home assistant once in a while, and a restart of home assistant solves it.

• I just upgrade pyserial to 2.7.

Looks like my problem disappeared. No longer getting Error decoding...bad byte issue.

THANKS!

• I have the same issue using the following configuration:
    MySensors 1.4 & 1.5 built with Arduino Nano 328.
    Home-Assistant v.0.9.1
    Python 3.4
    PySerial 2.7
    PC: Linux Mint 17.2 & 17.3
    I have wrote also on HomeAssistant forum and waiting for some ideas to bypass this situation.
    Any idea to solve it is very welcome... Thank you

• Plugin Developer

@Mihai

Do you get the log output "Error decoding message from gateway, probably received bad byte"?

Have you tried restarting home assistant?

If you have tried that multiple times without success, try downgrading pyserial to 2.5.

pip3 install pyserial==2.5

Do you have persistence for mysensors sensors set to true in your home assistant config? Otherwise you need to restart your nodes after each restart of home assistant.

• Thank you for advices, I was trying but no success after several days, so I left the ideea of using the Serial Gateway and moved to the MQTT Gateway + Home Assistant, I made it to work! I have published my work at https://github.com/Mihai258/HomeAssistant-MySensors-MQTT , I hope it will help other people to quickly implement their own projects and save their time.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics