P2P long range communication - RFM95 with mysensors

• I would like to ask you regarding P2P LoRa modul - RFM95 or some other. I need to create P2P communication between far points (in first case about 400 meters in urban area, NRF24l01+ was not sufficient as there are trees and buildings between these points; in second case about 10 km far in unoccupied area). So I was thinking to do it with RFM95 module and arduino. I see there is many modules on the ebay. Would you have any advice which one to select? It need to operate in EU so 868 MHz. + What library then to use. I plan to use it with 2AA batteries.

Thank you in advance for your help.

@boylucky Ra-01. Remarkably inexpensive, and yet shielded. It's 433Mhz, but that's also fine with the EU AFAIK.

• ok, thanks. I will try it. Would you have some more info regarding the possible libraries and how does it work with mysensors experiences?

By the way I already found some more comments on your page:
    https://www.openhardware.io/view/395/LoRa-Ra-01-ATmega328P-Node

@boylucky I used to use RadioHead, but I've read that now mysensors supports it.

@boylucky It looks straightforward: https://github.com/mysensors/MySensors/blob/development/examples/MotionSensor/MotionSensor.ino
    Just enable it thus:

// Enable and select radio type attached
    //#define MY_RADIO_NRF24
    //#define MY_RADIO_NRF5_ESB
    //#define MY_RADIO_RFM69
    #define MY_RADIO_RFM95

• Ok, great. Thanks.

• @neverdie - by the way. Would be there some easy solution for RFM95 as a gateway? I mean following. There would be gateway or maybe better to say forwarder which would take data from NRF24 and will resend them via RFM95 to another RFM95 which would be connected to the gateway. Is there some direct way in mysensors? If not what about to have 2 nodes which would be connected via serial communication (RX and TX pins). One node would have NRF24 and second one would have RFM95. Node with NRF24 would be set as serial gateway. Then node with RFM95 would be only a simple sketch where serial communication received will be send via RFM95 as P2P communication to the gateway with RFM95 which will be then connected to internet via Wiznet 5100 for example.

Reason why I would like to have it is the fact that the garden is without the external power source and I need to reduce it as much as possible. Then it is also far for the NRF24 to reach directly the gateway. I also want to reduce the cost of the network so I want to use mostly NRF24 as cheaper alternative.

@boylucky I don't foresee any difficulties doing that, except maybe efficiently powering a gateway from batteries. If you can do solar in the garden, then maybe that's your answer.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics