Having problems with RFM69HW in Raspberry Pi
frapell last edited by
Hello everyone, I've been using OpenHab for a while now, and I created a bunch of Arduino devices using MySensors to control some lights around the house.
I am using a PI Model 3B v1.2 with an RFM69HW wired as described in https://www.mysensors.org/build/raspberry#wiring
I am pulling version 2.3.2 from https://github.com/mysensors/MySensors/releases/tag/2.3.2 and compiling with these flags
./configure --my-transport=rfm69 --my-is-rfm69hw --my-rfm69-frequency=915 --my-gateway=mqtt --my-controller-ip-address=127.0.0.1 --my-mqtt-publish-topic-prefix=mysensors-out --my-mqtt-subscribe-topic-prefix=mysensors-in --my-mqtt-client-id=my_sensors_gw --my-mqtt-user=openhabian --my-mqtt-password=mqtt
Then, for the sensors code, I am using the
#define MY_RFM69_NEW_DRIVERas described in the documentation.
This has been working perfectly so far, and I decided to stop using
openhabianas the OS in the raspberry, and wanted to switch to the default
Raspberry Pi OSand use docker to be able to switch openhab versions more easily... And this is where the problems started. I tried compiling the mysgw and while it does compile and run, I am not able to communicate properly between the sensors and the GW. Here's the log when I start mysgw:
pi@openhab:~/MySensors $ sudo bin/mysgw Jun 06 15:36:20 INFO Starting gateway... Jun 06 15:36:20 INFO Protocol version - 2.3.2 Jun 06 15:36:20 DEBUG MCO:BGN:INIT GW,CP=RPNGL---,FQ=NA,REL=255,VER=2.3.2 Jun 06 15:36:20 DEBUG TSF:LRT:OK Jun 06 15:36:20 DEBUG TSM:INIT Jun 06 15:36:20 DEBUG TSF:WUR:MS=0 Jun 06 15:36:20 DEBUG TSM:INIT:TSP OK Jun 06 15:36:20 DEBUG TSM:INIT:GW MODE Jun 06 15:36:20 DEBUG TSM:READY:ID=0,PAR=0,DIS=0 Jun 06 15:36:20 DEBUG MCO:REG:NOT NEEDED Jun 06 15:36:20 DEBUG MCO:BGN:STP Jun 06 15:36:20 DEBUG MCO:BGN:INIT OK,TSP=1 Jun 06 15:36:20 DEBUG GWT:RMQ:CONNECTING... Jun 06 15:36:20 DEBUG connected to 127.0.0.1 Jun 06 15:36:20 DEBUG GWT:RMQ:OK Jun 06 15:36:20 DEBUG GWT:TPS:TOPIC=mysensors-out/0/255/0/0/18,MSG SENT Jun 06 15:36:20 DEBUG TSM:READY:NWD REQ Jun 06 15:36:22 DEBUG ?TSF:MSG:SEND,0-0-255-255,s=255,c=3,t=20,pt=0,l=0,sg=0,ft=0,st=OK:
While the log appears to be correct and the gw ready to communicate, when a sensor tries to speak to it:
__ __ ____ | \/ |_ _/ ___| ___ _ __ ___ ___ _ __ ___ | |\/| | | | \___ \ / _ \ `_ \/ __|/ _ \| `__/ __| | | | | |_| |___| | __/ | | \__ \ _ | | \__ \ |_| |_|\__, |____/ \___|_| |_|___/\___/|_| |___/ |___/ 2.3.2 16 MCO:BGN:INIT NODE,CP=RPNNA---,FQ=8,REL=255,VER=2.3.2 28 TSM:INIT 28 TSF:WUR:MS=0 32 TSM:INIT:TSP OK 34 TSM:INIT:STATID=220 36 TSF:SID:OK,ID=220 38 TSM:FPAR 45 ?TSF:MSG:SEND,220-220-255-255,s=255,c=3,t=7,pt=0,l=0,sg=0,ft=0,st=OK: 2054 !TSM:FPAR:NO REPLY 2056 TSM:FPAR 2062 ?TSF:MSG:SEND,220-220-255-255,s=255,c=3,t=7,pt=0,l=0,sg=0,ft=0,st=OK: 4071 !TSM:FPAR:NO REPLY 4073 TSM:FPAR 4079 ?TSF:MSG:SEND,220-220-255-255,s=255,c=3,t=7,pt=0,l=0,sg=0,ft=0,st=OK: 6088 !TSM:FPAR:NO REPLY 6090 TSM:FPAR 6096 ?TSF:MSG:SEND,220-220-255-255,s=255,c=3,t=7,pt=0,l=0,sg=0,ft=0,st=OK: 8108 !TSM:FPAR:FAIL 8110 TSM:FAIL:CNT=1 8112 TSM:FAIL:DIS 8114 TSF:TDI:TSL
Any hint on what could it be going on? before I switched from openhabian to raspberry os, everything was working fine, so frequencies and configuration should be ok... I configured openhabian more than a year ago, almost about the time 2.3.2 came out, and that's when I last compiled mysgw, so I suspect I may not have documented some last minute change before it worked fine... I am noticing in https://www.mysensors.org/apidocs/group__RaspberryPiGateway.html that there are
--my-rfm69-cs-pinI am not using, not sure if they are needed when the radio is connected in the suggested way, however I tried recompiling setting
24for the cs-pin and
22for the irq, but then when I run mysgw I see the exact same log... I am not sure what else to try, so asking here for suggestions?
toigo last edited by
does the network id (MY_RFM69_NETWORKID) used on the node and the gateway match? Also other communication parameters like MY_RFM69_MODEM_CONFIGURATION, for example.
If, for example, your node has the following parameters...
#define MY_RFM69_NETWORKID 123 #define MY_RFM69_MODEM_CONFIGURATION RFM69_FSK_BR55_5_FD50
... you should pass the same parameters to the configure statement:
Also check if encryption settings match, if encryption is enabled.
Constantin Petra last edited by
I am having the same issue with Raspberry PI zero W, I get an awful range (less than 2 meters) with the default build values. It seems the default power setting for RFM69HCW are 5dB. Also, for RPI Zero W it seems the 3.3V pin supplies only 50mA and I have also added an extra 3.3V regulator (should not be the case for RPI3+).
I have now compiled the gateway using the following and got a better range indoors:
./configure --my-transport=rfm69 --my-rfm69-frequency=915 --my-is-rfm69hcw --my-gateway=mqtt --my-controller-ip-address=192.168.1.41 --my-mqtt-publish-topic-prefix=mysensors-out --my-mqtt-subscribe-topic-prefix=mysensors-in --my-mqtt-client-id=mygateway1 --extra-cxxflags="-DMY_RFM69_MAX_POWER_LEVEL_DBM=20 -DMY_RFM69_TX_POWER_DBM=20 -DMY_DEBUG_VERBOSE_RFM69"
Look for "LEVEL" in the logs to check that the power level is the correct one. I don't know how mysensors handles the power range (expected to see it increasing it by itself no answers, but I could not get it working otherwise).
Maybe it helps.