Arduino Nano and NRF24L01+PA+LNA

• Hi all,

For my gateway Im using a Nano that has 3.3v outputs, along with a NRF24L01+PA+LNA radio (from the mysensors store)
    Is there any problem powering this radio from the 3.3v output? I've read a few threads that seem to indicate that the output may not be strong enough for the lone range radio?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

• My experience is that it will work if you change myconfig.h to low power setting for the radio.

However, for best results I would suggest using a different power source and a LE33 or other regulator to provide significant power for the antenna. The nano only outputs 40mA.

There are a lot of threads that address this question if you dig. I am fairly new here but I use a 5 volt 2 amp power supply when I use the nano with the NRF24L01+PA+LNA. I wire the nano directly off the power supply and use a regular between the power supply and the radio.

• Thank you for the reply. I'll set the power to low to begin with.

I'll look at using a LE33 should I need to ramp up the power.
    Whats the difference between the LE33CZ-TR and LE33CZ-AP ?

http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/LE33CZ-TR/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtf0BNRzfLjAkbI2X3L15yL

http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/LE33CZ-AP/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtf0BNRzfLjAqR3cjPjTiVD

Cheers

The AMS1117 might be a better choice for the NRF24L01+PA+LNA
    use LE33 for the standard NRF2401+

The gateway is the most important part of the network so worth doing well

https://www.mysensors.org/store/#regulators

• I'm not sure the difference in those two but check out the store page:

https://www.mysensors.org/store/#regulators

The LE33 does work with the NRF24L01+PA+LNA but I think the XC6206P332MR would be even better. The LE33 has a maximum output of 100 mA and the XC6206P332MR has a maximum output of 250mA.

• Thanks will order some, good to keep then at hand 🙂

Cheers

• @Boots33 i could not make the NRF2401+ work with the le33 i moved to lm117 or 662k and it works, just wasn't enough juice...

I have had the standard NRF24L01+ working with an LE33 without problems but the NRF24L01+PA+LNA uses a lot more power and really needs a bigger regulator. the AMS1117 has plenty of headroom and is very cheap, so is a good choice. Have a look at the scope readings about half way down in this thread

• @Boots33 said:

AMS1117

I have nodes running off the LE33 and NRF24L01+PA+LNA shielded that are running on "HIGH" power. I have not had any problems with them although in theory they should not work.

I'm glad you cited the AMS1117. I will give them a try. It looks like they have a max output of 800mA. Is that correct?

@Ironbar I am sure the LE33 will work with a NRF24L01+PA+LNA as well, in fact I have done so on the bench too. The problem lies in that you are using a 100mA regulator to supply a device that has the potential to draw more than 100mA.

The NRF24L01+PA+LNA only draws the extra current for a short burst when transmitting so a node may work OK.

With the gateway which will be doing a lot more work as the number of nodes increases you may find you will have problems.

As I said the gateway is the key component for the whole network so it is in your best interest to have it perform at its highest level.

I think the AMS1117 datasheet lists them as 1A devices. I also think you would want to have it securely bolted to a block of ice if you were to try and get that out of it 🙂

• @Boots33 said:

NRF24L01+PA+LNA

Boots33, I completely agree. I have recently decided to rebuild my gateway and I am very pleased this thread came up so I can use the AMS1117. Any idea what the NRF24L01+PA+LNA has the potential to draw? I have looked through the data sheets but I have not came up with a definitive answer.

Although my mysensors network works very well, I am always looking for a way to improve it. I learn something new almost every day from this forum so thanks for your input.

Yes it is hard to find a data sheet on, most suppliers seem to quote around 115mA but I would allow a bit more just in case.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics