Is this enough to get me started?

• So I've never ever been much into electronics before, however I do have a fair amount of programming experience. I've been looking to buy a couple of humidity sensors for my house, that is until I stumpled upon this site and started reading. Now I realize that I can probably build them myself, and have some fun while doing so πŸ™‚

I've read all the getting started guides and watched a couple of videos, however I'm still not really sure exactly what I need to buy to build my sensors. As my first project I would like to build 2 battery powered humidity/temp sensors.

This is what I think I need:

For the sensors

• 2x Sensebender Micro (seems like a good fit with build in temp/humidity sensors)
    • 2x NRF24L01 (Looks like minimum to buy is 10?)
    • 2x 3V AA Battery holder
    • 1x FTDI USB to TTL Serial Adapter

Gateway (based on petewill's video)

• 1x Arduino Nano Compatible
    • 1x NRF24L01
    • 1x 4.7 uf capacitor

Controller

• 1x Rasberry PI 2, probably with OpenHab

I guess I need some cables as well (no idea how to solder...)
    Female - Female Dupont jumper cables.

Can someone please tell me if this is it, or did am I missing something in my list?
    Also, is Rasberry PI 2 with OpenHab a reasonable choice?

• Admin

Yep, that should get you started.

@Daniel-Lindberg don't rush into choosing a controller - play with them (it is hard without sensors). What I am actually saying - you need to find the controller that match your needs and there is sometimes a gap between reality and web sites, so keep an open mind and don't get fixated. Other than that.... I would suggest the nrf with external antenna for the GW and some enclosures.... and cables!!!!

I would suggest you buy from itead their iBoard for your gateway - since you are buying from there anyway.
    http://imall.itead.cc/im120410001.html

Its pretty easy to get going as an Ethernet gateway - you do need to make some temporary changes to deploy the sketch, but I think its well worth it and a very robust tidy solution....NO WIRES needed!! πŸ˜‰

Grab a http://imall.itead.cc/im120525005.html to program it with..

As Moshe said...no need to rush into the controller, but what you are thinking with the RPi2 and OpenHab is a sound decision - very powerful and cheap to do.
    I have Vera, but I forsee my future on OpenHab.

• @Daniel-Lindberg If you go with the Sensebender, you will have to solder on the radio and power.

• @Dwalt said:

@Daniel-Lindberg If you go with the Sensebender, you will have to solder on the radio and power.

Oh... I don't wanna go there. So what would I replace the sensebenders with, given I need a humidity/temp sensor and battery power? Arduino Pro Mini 3,3V and a DHT11/22? Do I need an step up/down regulator as well?

• Looking at the shop, the battery holders have the description .
    "3V AA Battery holder
    For powering 3.3V Arduino. Requires a step-up converter"
    The only step up converter I find in the shop says

"DC-DC Step Up Boost Module
    Input 1-3V , 5V Output. Use this if you need to power 5V sensors from a 3.3V Arduino Pro Mini". Is this what I need for the battery holder? (it doesnt sound like it, but it's all I can find)

EDIT: Perhaps this is what I need? http://www.aliexpress.com/item/8-pcs-Ultra-small-DC-DC-0-8-3-3V-to-DC-3-3V-Step-UP/32268496143.html

• Hardware Contributor

I read that the same as you and couldn't figure it out. So I bought 5V mini's for now and figured I'd need to do research before trying some battery powered sensors. I'm glad it wasn't just me that couldn't understand those docs. I found this board which sounds similar and explicitly states it's useful for powering a mini from batteries:
    https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10967

• Admin

@Daniel-Lindberg said:

DHT11

I think the DHT11/22 can run from the 3v3 rail.

Hmm.. There used to be two step-up modules in the "store" earlier (3v3 and 5v). I will have a look at it.

EDIT: This step-up module was listed:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/291352631612?rmvSB=true

But the 0.8->3v3 is missing.. Will fix.

• Admin

@Daniel-Lindberg said:

@Dwalt said:

@Daniel-Lindberg If you go with the Sensebender, you will have to solder on the radio and power.

Oh... I don't wanna go there. So what would I replace the sensebenders with, given I need a humidity/temp sensor and battery power? Arduino Pro Mini 3,3V and a DHT11/22? Do I need an step up/down regulator as well?

With dht11/22 and arduino micro/nano you actually end up with more soldering. Also dht11/22 requires 3.3v (if I remember right) which means you have to throw an step up converter into the picture as well.

Think that the sensebender is the simplest to get going.

• Oh well, I placed my order yesterday evening. Have a friend who can help with soldering. Bought some mini pro 3v3, which should be enough to power the dht22?

@Daniel-Lindberg go wire wrap! Its the future! πŸ˜„

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics