First node: nothing work

• Hi everybody;

This is my first post, and my first attempt to build some mysensors gateway and temperature node.

First of all, this is what I use:

• arduino nano
    • NRF24L01 with antenna
    • 1.4 library

I have successfully created the serial usb gateway. When I start it, I can see on the debug output that the controller is online and ready to receive some date.

Unfortunately, the sensor never works. I have the "feeling" he can't correctly initialize: nothing on the debug output. The "bad" seems to be : gw.begin(). I follow the source code and it seems he can't send the first broadcast message and it seems to "wait" indefinitely.
    To give more information, I can successfully load and start the controller sketch on the second device: so it seems not broken. I can successfully read a temperature from a one wire device. But, even the first exemple from mysensors.org don't work. What is really wired too is I can upload a new sketch to this arduino: the serial ouput seems always "full": I can only upload it when the arduino start.

Do you have some idea please ?

• Admin

What does the debug output say in the Serial Monitor of the sensor?

• Nothing....

• Admin

What baudrate did you set?

http://www.mysensors.org/build/debug

It seems to work nicely using gateway sketchup with correctly debug information...

• Admin

Weird, try switching power supply/usb cable. You should get some output even if radio init fails.

• I already try that without success.

Using same cable with same arduino works like a charm for the gateway.

Do you get any output on serial monitor on node side?

• No, nothing.

• Try to clear the EEPROM first, then re-upload your sketch.

• I have already clear the EEPROM many times. No changes.

I have activate the DEBUG mode on the RF24_config.h file:

#define FAILURE_HANDLING
      #define SERIAL_DEBUG

I can now see some debug informations:

send: 255-255-255-255 s=255,c=3,

And nothing more. Some kind of "failed broadcast" ?
    Maybe, the gateway seems to never respond to this first broadcast; the gateway never receive it anyway.

• Admin

Looks like it is dying in the middle of serial log output.

What happens if you try the same sketch on the working "serial-gateway"-Arduino you were talking about in the first post? You might have some faulty hardware there..

• Is the NRF24 connected to externel 3.3V power or to the 3.3V from the Nano? The NRF24 antenna version has a higher power consumption as the version without antenna.

• Same thing append if I try the serial sketch on the working "serial-gateway". If I try the gateway sktech on the "bad" arduino, the gateway seems to start.

The NRF24 is connected to the 3.3V out from the Arduino nano. I will try to use and external power supply; or maybe, I will buy the NRF24 without antena. Thanks for that suggestion.

• The NRF24 antenna version is:
      -- working current in transmit mode is 115mA
      -- working current in receiver mode is 45mA

For the NRF24 non antenna version i did'nt find any details of power consum. (only 1uA on Power down mode)

Arduino Nano:

• The total current from all the IO pins together is 200 mA max.
    • The 3.3V output is capable of supplying 150 mA.
      -- Note - Any power drawn from the 3.3V rail has to go through the 5V rail. Therefore, if you have a 100 mA device on the 3.3V output, you need to also count it against the 5V total current.

The 5V output is much powerful on the Arduino nano. U can try to use a 5V to 3.3V stepdown regulator like AMS1117

• Here are the specifications from the NRF24 without antenna

http://www.nordicsemi.com/eng/Products/2.4GHz-RF/nRF24L01#Specification

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics