Intermittent issue

• Hey guys

First a bit of background, I've been getting into my sensors slowly over the past few months, i dont have great deal of time to code and build sensors. Up until now I've been successfully running a serial gateway on an uno connected to a server running domoticz plus two remote temperature nodes. These have been running perfectly.
    I've recently been working on a new project to build a dimmer based on the rotary dimmer sketch. The dimmer unit performs perfectly locally, i.e controller via the rotary knob. However control via domoticz has been a little sketchy.
    One way communication from the dimmer node to Domoticz seems to work well, i.e. when i turn the rotary knob on the dimmer, domoticz displays the dimmer level and on/off state accordingly. However controlling the dimmer from Domoticz is very sketchy, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt and i get an error from domoticz saying it couldnt send the command.

I've performed some debugging by accessing the serial console on the gateway and the dimmer node and noticed that i was getting st=fails on both devices. Both nodes have been decoupled and seem to have stable power supplies.

The following is a screengrab of the serial consoles, the gateway on the left, dimmer on the right. This shows me turning the rotary knob. As you can see, sometimes it works, and sometimes i get st=fail.

Any ideas people?!

Regards

Josh

0_1457557989646_screengrab.jpg

• Hardware Contributor

Hi @joshdinsdale

st:fail and domoticz "could not send command" is the same thing: ack is not recieved back.
    it means the receiving node or gateway has problems sending ack back to the sending node.

Its probably a hardware issue (power and/or range). Try adding a capacitor (http://www.mysensors.org/build/connect_radio#connecting-a-decoupling-capacitor) to the receiving radio, change powersource, move receiver/sender closer to eachother or build a repeater. If you think its a software issue you can try to clear the eeprom (http://www.mysensors.org/build/debug#clearing-eeprom) and reupload your sketch.

What kind of radio do you use on the gateway? PA/LNA version?
    Temp nodes are very low power and not much noise but when you start working with dimmer lever its a new dimension...

• hi @sundberg84 thanks for the reply

Firstly, all myNRF24L01+ have a capacitor installed. The gateway is just a standard NRF24L01+ no pa/lna version, I guess i could put a pa/lna radio on it? The distance is already pretty close (within about a 5m radius). I guess i need to check the quality of my NRF24L01+'s in case they are nasty clones? Another factor is that my WiFi access-point is directly next to my mysensors gateway (its all in my server cupboard). I imagine this could be causing interference?

• Hardware Contributor

@joshdinsdale About the wifi, i have the wifi-router and gateway 30cm from eachother without problems.
    I would try another power supply and see what happens.

• @sundberg84 I have tried a number of power suppliers which dont seem to make a noticeable difference. I have just ordered a pa/lna nrf to use on my gateway, so when it arrives i will see if that makes a difference. Has anyone got any tips for testing performance of nrf modules to help determine if they are fakes/clones and if that might be affecting performance? I buy them from ebay, but try and use UK only sellers but i guess thats no guarantee that they are good modules!

• Hardware Contributor

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics