W5100 gateway not connecting to network

• Howdy,

I'm trying to set up a new ethernet gateway with the W5100 shield and cannot get on my network. The compile works and the serial monitor shows the following:

0;0;3;0;9;gateway started, id=0, parent=0, distance=0

Here's the setup function from EthernetGateway.ino. After perusing the forum and reading about various network-related issues, it looks like gw.begin is missing a key piece. No?

void setup()  
    { 
      Ethernet.begin(mac, myIp);

// give the Ethernet interface a second to initialize
      delay(1000);

setupGateway(INCLUSION_MODE_PIN, INCLUSION_MODE_TIME, output);

// Add interrupt for inclusion button to pin
      PCintPort::attachInterrupt(pinInclusion, startInclusionInterrupt, RISING);

// Initialize gateway at maximum PA level, channel 70 and callback for write operations 
      gw.begin(incomingMessage, 0, true, 0);

// start listening for clients
      server.begin();
    }

Thanks

• I just tried the dev release to be able to use DHCP and define a static lease on my router, but that doesn't get me connected either.

With an IP defined in GatewayW5100.ino I get a response showing an IP of 0.0.0.0:

#define MY_IP_ADDRESS 10,10,10,231   // If this is disabled, DHCP is used to retrieve address
    // Renewal period if using DHCP
    //#define MY_IP_RENEWAL_INTERVAL 60000
    // The port to keep open on node server mode / or port to contact in client mode
    #define MY_PORT 5003     

0;255;3;0;9;Starting gateway (RNNGA-, 2.0.0-beta)
    0;255;3;0;9;Radio init successful.
    IP: 0.0.0.0
    0;255;3;0;9;Init complete, id=0, parent=0, distance=0

With the IP not defined, I get no IP info, similar to the results with the 1.5 release:

//#define MY_IP_ADDRESS 10,10,10,231   // If this is disabled, DHCP is used to retrieve address
    // Renewal period if using DHCP
    #define MY_IP_RENEWAL_INTERVAL 60000
    // The port to keep open on node server mode / or port to contact in client mode
    #define MY_PORT 5003   

0;255;3;0;9;Starting gateway (RNNGA-, 2.0.0-beta)
    0;255;3;0;9;Radio init successful.

I'd be happy with either option working. Any ideas on what to try next?

Thanks

• Hardware Contributor

Hello @houtomate ! I had the same problem! Lost a lot of days wondering and testing solutions! At this point I'm starting to believe my W5100 is defective! I ordered a new one to test it out! Waiting for it to arrive!

• I was originally using a Vilros UNO and a "MEGA compatible" W5100 shield. I switched to a Vilros shield and got "avrdude: stk500_recv (): programmer is not responding" errors when trying to upload.

I then tried a Sunfounder UNO + "MEGA compatible" shield and bingo, problem solved!

DHCP is getting an address, but not the one I set in a static lease on my router, but that's okay. At least I can move forward!

In my troubleshooting I ran across this post that describes a fix on the HanRun boards that involves jumping two 100 ohm resistors between RJ45 pins 1-2 and 3-6. I didn't have any 100 ohm resistors on hand so I didn't try it...

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=351477.msg2662072#msg2662072

• Hardware Contributor

Hello, I teste this solution out and it worked 🙂 My W5100 is now working! Use as reference the post https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=351477.msg2662072#msg2662072

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics