Wifi Gateway on Arduino

• Hi, all. Since it's my first topic in this forum, let me say a couple of general word on myself and my project.
    I started to work in Information Technology in 1969 and I designed and build my first domotic project back in 1993, based on a PS/ mod.30 without HDD as a controller, plus handmade nodes based n 8052. Dinosaurs were still around.
    A month ago I started my current project using Domoticz on Raspberry Pi3, RFlink for 433 devices.
    Up to now there were two additional RPi still running Domoticz as slave and collecting inputs and actuators.
    A few days ago I saw accidentally Mysensors, went through all the documentation and decided for a new design of the project using Arduino and Mysensors as Gateway/Sensor
    Now, straight to the problem, I'm almost sure that while reading the documentation in these days I saw a clear example where the Arduino gateway had a WiFi connection to communicate with the controller.
    Today, while preparing my shopping list, I tried to find again that info... and it seems disappeared.
    All I find about Wifi points to ESP8266 acting also as sensor collector.. no Arduino.
    Am I missing something? Can't believe that I'm the only one willing to build a WiFi Gateway... must be the blindness of the novice.
    Thanks for reading till here... hope to get some answers..
    Giacomo

• Mod

Welcome to the MySensors community @gbuico
    The "version" of esp8266 used by most people here is arduino-compatible. I know some people use the esp8266 as a shield, but I've never understood why.

The example wifi gateway is based on esp8266. I think it is the second most popular gateway so you are not alone. I have two 🙂

• @mfalkvidd , thanks for your answer which is really good news. If your mention on using esp8266 as a shield means that someone is buying a shield with esp8266 to plug directly on Arduino, this is exactly what I had in mind since I'm terrible with soldering.
    Having said so, I found that shield and I'd love to share it here just to get advices but I don't know which is the right way to show it without breaking the rules of the forum (advertising).
    Could you please advise me on how I can share what I found?
    Thanks for your time

• Mod

@gbuico thanks for being considerate.

If you explain why you like it and mention that you're not affiliated with the company (or are open with how you are affiliated, in case you are), posting links is perfectly fine. The important thing is that we all contribute to make the community even better.

• Mod

@gbuico said in Wifi Gateway on Arduino:

I'm terrible with soldering

You could start off with the "NodeMcu Lua development board" which is in the shopping list of the wifi gateway. It is Arduino compatible so you can just program it using the Arduino IDE.
    You only have to add a radio module (e.g. nRF24L01+, using jumper wires) to it and you're good to go. No soldering required.

A popular, bit smaller, alternative to the NodeMcu Lua board is the Wemos D1 mini. They all work with MySensors!

• Thanks to both.
    @Yveaux, if I understand well your suggestion is to use ONLY the NodeMcu board and using Arduino just for the programming.
    Having no practical experience with NodeMcu I just think of it as something not powerfull enough to do its job, then I realize that in some areas of the house I'll just need to monitor 2-3 magnetic switches... and you seem to say that this works fine for you.
    Should you confirm, may I ask you to confirm that these units are exactly what I need?
    https://www.amazon.fr/AZ-Delivery-NodeMCU-ESP8266-développement-development/dp/B074Q2WM1Y/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1514286274&sr=8-5&keywords=ESP8266%2BCH340&th=1
    Unfortunately I can't buy in the suggested shops, even if they are cheaper, because they have a delivery time which is not compatible with my crazy movements between locations.
    If not, whatever alternative with a quick delivery time in France would be appreciated... as I have no relation with the shop pf the link 🙂
    @mfalkvidd, going back on a shield that can fit directly on Arduino, what I found is this article:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/ROKOO-ESP8266-ESP-12E-Wireless-Converter/dp/B0768GRGV2
    I understand that this shield is mounted directly on Arduino adding WiFi but leaving to Arduino the task of managing sensors... Am I wrong?

To both, in my project I'm not planning to use the radio connection, so all the sensors will be connected directly to gateways.
    Thanks for being so kind

• Mod

Having no practical experience with NodeMcu I just think of it as something not powerfull enough to do its job, then I realize that in some areas of the house I'll just need to monitor 2-3 magnetic switches... and you seem to say that this works fine for you

The NodeMCU board contains a regular esp8266, which has more than enough oomph to handle the wifi connection, some sensors and the mySensors stack! Don't worry!

I had a quick look and the link you've posted seems to sell the regular NodeMCU boards.

• @yveaux said in Wifi Gateway on Arduino:

Having no practical experience with NodeMcu I just think of it as something not powerfull enough to do its job, then I realize that in some areas of the house I'll just need to monitor 2-3 magnetic switches... and you seem to say that this works fine for you

The NodeMCU board contains a regular esp8266, which has more than enough oomph to handle the wifi connection, some sensors and the mySensors stack! Don't worry!

I had a quick look and the link you've posted seems to sell the regular NodeMCU boards.

@Yveaux , I received my modules today at lunch time and a couple of hours later the NodeMCU is up and connected to WiFi, so I think it's proper to acknowledge that your step-by-step guide is extremely precise.
    If I can contribute, the main issue I had to face has been a TSP initialization failure caused by the attempt to open the radio module which is not there in my setup.
    Surely my fault but I went straight to define SSID and password ad indicated... but I didn't read carefully the other setup parameters...
    Bottom line... thank you... now going to add the sensor logic and integrate everything in Domoticz

• @gbuico Sorry, but I'm getting crazy trying to put together the right code for the local sensor directly connected to NodeMCU GPIO (pin 0, id D3)
    I did my best to merge the NodeMCU specific commands with the Door/Window/Switch sample in MySensors documentation
    So far I came out with the attached sensor definition.
    Could you please let me know if this is the right way to define my contact?
    Also... could you please confirm that the "debouncer" code applies to NodeMCU as well... and this allows me to connact the magnetic contact wires directly to D3 and ground without a capacitor in parallel?

Thanks in advance

#include <Bounce2.h>

#define CHILD_ID 0
    #define D3 0  // NodeMCU I/O pin for reed switch

Bounce debouncer = Bounce(); 
    int oldValue=-1;

void setup()  
    {  
      // Setup reed switch with pull-up
      pinMode(D3,INPUT_PULLUP);

// After setting up reed switch, setup debouncer
      debouncer.attach(BUTTON_PIN);
      debouncer.interval(5);
    }

void presentation() {
      present(CHILD_ID, S_DOOR);  
    }

//  Check if digital input has changed and send in new value
    void loop() 
    {
      debouncer.update();
      int value = debouncer.read();

if (value != oldValue) {
         // Send in the new value
         send(msg.set(value==HIGH ? 1 : 0));
         oldValue = value;
      }
    }```

• Mod

@gbuico yep, that looks good. Does it compile?

• Mod

@gbuico Your sketch doesn't look complete; e.g. BUTTON_PIN isn't defined anywhere.
    Furthermore, the NodeMCU board in Arduino has a Dn define for each pin which you can use to reference from your code:

static const uint8_t D0   = 16;
    static const uint8_t D1   = 5;
    static const uint8_t D2   = 4;
    static const uint8_t D3   = 0;
    static const uint8_t D4   = 2;
    static const uint8_t D5   = 14;
    static const uint8_t D6   = 12;
    static const uint8_t D7   = 13;
    static const uint8_t D8   = 15;
    static const uint8_t D9   = 3;
    static const uint8_t D10  = 1;

It's better to use these instead of rolling your own.

These are defined in c:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\2.3.0\variants\nodemcu\pins_arduino.h (on Windows).

• Here I am again.
    I worked the whole afternoon on this sketch to include your suggestions and correct the compile errors.
    Everything seems to be fine except one residual compile error that I don't seem to be able to solve:

1GatewayESP8266t:171: error: 'msg' was not declared in this scope
    exit status 1
    'msg' was not declared in this scope

The whole current sketch can be found at the end of this post.
    Can you kindly help to understand what I'm doing wrong?
    As an alternative @Yveaux , since you mentioned that you have several NodeMCU like mine (gateway+onboard contact sensors) would you mind sharing the setch of one of them so that I can learn by sample?

Thanks a lot for your help... here is the sketch

/**
     * The MySensors Arduino library handles the wireless radio link and protocol
     * between your home built sensors/actuators and HA controller of choice.
     * The sensors forms a self healing radio network with optional repeaters. Each
     * repeater and gateway builds a routing tables in EEPROM which keeps track of the
     * network topology allowing messages to be routed to nodes.
     * Created by Henrik Ekblad <henrik.ekblad@mysensors.org>
     * Copyright (C) 2013-2015 Sensnology AB
     * Full contributor list: https://github.com/mysensors/Arduino/graphs/contributors
     * Documentation: http://www.mysensors.org
     * Support Forum: http://forum.mysensors.org
     * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
     * modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
     * version 2 as published by the Free Software Foundation.
     * REVISION HISTORY
     * Version 1.0 - Henrik EKblad
     * Contribution by a-lurker and Anticimex,
     * Contribution by Norbert Truchsess <norbert.truchsess@t-online.de>
     * Contribution by Ivo Pullens (ESP8266 support)
     * DESCRIPTION
     * The EthernetGateway sends data received from sensors to the WiFi link.
     * The gateway also accepts input on ethernet interface, which is then sent out to the radio network.
     * VERA CONFIGURATION:
     * Enter "ip-number:port" in the ip-field of the Arduino GW device. This will temporarily override any serial configuration for the Vera plugin.
     * E.g. If you want to use the defualt values in this sketch enter: 192.168.178.66:5003
     * LED purposes:
     * - To use the feature, uncomment any of the MY_DEFAULT_xx_LED_PINs in your sketch, only the LEDs that is defined is used.
     * - RX (green) - blink fast on radio message recieved. In inclusion mode will blink fast only on presentation recieved
     * - TX (yellow) - blink fast on radio message transmitted. In inclusion mode will blink slowly
     * - ERR (red) - fast blink on error during transmission error or recieve crc error
     * See http://www.mysensors.org/build/esp8266_gateway for wiring instructions.
     * nRF24L01+  ESP8266
     * VCC        VCC
     * CE         GPIO4
     * CSN/CS     GPIO15
     * SCK        GPIO14
     * MISO       GPIO12
     * MOSI       GPIO13
     * GND        GND
     * Not all ESP8266 modules have all pins available on their external interface.
     * This code has been tested on an ESP-12 module.
     * The ESP8266 requires a certain pin configuration to download code, and another one to run code:
     * - Connect REST (reset) via 10K pullup resistor to VCC, and via switch to GND ('reset switch')
     * - Connect GPIO15 via 10K pulldown resistor to GND
     * - Connect CH_PD via 10K resistor to VCC
     * - Connect GPIO2 via 10K resistor to VCC
     * - Connect GPIO0 via 10K resistor to VCC, and via switch to GND ('bootload switch')
      * Inclusion mode button:
     * - Connect GPIO5 via switch to GND ('inclusion switch')
     * Hardware SHA204 signing is currently not supported!
     * Make sure to fill in your ssid and WiFi password below for ssid & pass.
     */

// Enable debug prints to serial monitor
    #define MY_DEBUG

// Use a bit lower baudrate for serial prints on ESP8266 than default in MyConfig.h
    #define MY_BAUD_RATE 9600

// Enables and select radio type (if attached)
    //#define MY_RADIO_NRF24
    //#define MY_RADIO_RFM69

#define MY_GATEWAY_ESP8266

#define MY_ESP8266_SSID "*********"
    #define MY_ESP8266_PASSWORD "**********"

// Enable UDP communication
    //#define MY_USE_UDP

// Set the hostname for the WiFi Client. This is the hostname
    // it will pass to the DHCP server if not static.
    #define MY_ESP8266_HOSTNAME "sensor-gateway1"

// Enable MY_IP_ADDRESS here if you want a static ip address (no DHCP)
    // #define MY_IP_ADDRESS 192,168,1,7

// If using static ip you need to define Gateway and Subnet address as well
    // #define MY_IP_GATEWAY_ADDRESS 192,168,1,1
    // #define MY_IP_SUBNET_ADDRESS 255,255,255,0

// The port to keep open on node server mode
    #define MY_PORT 5003

// How many clients should be able to connect to this gateway (default 1)
    #define MY_GATEWAY_MAX_CLIENTS 2

// Controller ip address. Enables client mode (default is "server" mode).
    // Also enable this if MY_USE_UDP is used and you want sensor data sent somewhere.
    //#define MY_CONTROLLER_IP_ADDRESS 192, 168, 178, 68

// Enable inclusion mode
    #define MY_INCLUSION_MODE_FEATURE

// Enable Inclusion mode button on gateway
    // #define MY_INCLUSION_BUTTON_FEATURE
    // Set inclusion mode duration (in seconds)
    #define MY_INCLUSION_MODE_DURATION 60
    // Digital pin used for inclusion mode button
    #define MY_INCLUSION_MODE_BUTTON_PIN  3

// Set blinking period
    // #define MY_DEFAULT_LED_BLINK_PERIOD 300

// Flash leds on rx/tx/err
    // Led pins used if blinking feature is enabled above
    #define MY_DEFAULT_ERR_LED_PIN 16  // Error led pin
    #define MY_DEFAULT_RX_LED_PIN  16  // Receive led pin
    #define MY_DEFAULT_TX_LED_PIN  16  // the PCB, on board LED

#if defined(MY_USE_UDP)
    #include <WiFiUdp.h>
    #endif

#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>

// Start of the sensor specific code
    #include <SPI.h>
    #include <MySensors.h>
    #include <pins_arduino.h>
    #include <Bounce2.h>
    #define CHILD_ID 0
    int oldValue=-1;

void setup()
    {
      pinMode(D3,INPUT_PULLUP);

debouncer.attach(D3);
      debouncer.interval(5);
    }

void presentation()
    {
    	// Present locally attached sensors here
    }

void loop() 
    {
      debouncer.update();
      // Get the update value

if (value != oldValue)
    	{
         // Send in the new value
         oldValue = value;
    	}
    }```

• Mod

@gbuico You have to declare msg like in this example: https://github.com/mysensors/MySensors/blob/development/examples/BinarySwitchSleepSensor/BinarySwitchSleepSensor.ino#L69

MyMessage msg(PRIMARY_CHILD_ID, V_TRIPPED);

I have a number of NudeMCU boards indeed, but none are actually deployed as MySensors nodes/gateways at the moment...

• Don't be scared 🙂 , this time I'm not here to ask for help but to contribute.
    The good news is that with all the hints received, yesterday I've been able to compile and upload the sketch to NodeMCU.
    One year later (today 🙂 ) I defined the NodeMCU in Domoticz,searched for sensors and everything is now properly working.
    My next step now is to add a second sensor to the same NodeMCU but, should I face problems, I think I should start another topic to avoid confusion.
    Bottom line... thank you for the help provided and here is the final working sketch that I hope will help someone else

/**
     * The MySensors Arduino library handles the wireless radio link and protocol
     * between your home built sensors/actuators and HA controller of choice.
     * The sensors forms a self healing radio network with optional repeaters. Each
     * repeater and gateway builds a routing tables in EEPROM which keeps track of the
     * network topology allowing messages to be routed to nodes.
     * Created by Henrik Ekblad <henrik.ekblad@mysensors.org>
     * Copyright (C) 2013-2015 Sensnology AB
     * Full contributor list: https://github.com/mysensors/Arduino/graphs/contributors
     * Documentation: http://www.mysensors.org
     * Support Forum: http://forum.mysensors.org
     * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
     * modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
     * version 2 as published by the Free Software Foundation.
     * REVISION HISTORY
     * Version 1.0 - Henrik EKblad
     * Contribution by a-lurker and Anticimex,
     * Contribution by Norbert Truchsess <norbert.truchsess@t-online.de>
     * Contribution by Ivo Pullens (ESP8266 support)
     * DESCRIPTION
     * The EthernetGateway sends data received from sensors to the WiFi link.
     * The gateway also accepts input on ethernet interface, which is then sent out to the radio network.
     * VERA CONFIGURATION:
     * Enter "ip-number:port" in the ip-field of the Arduino GW device. This will temporarily override any serial configuration for the Vera plugin.
     * E.g. If you want to use the defualt values in this sketch enter: 192.168.178.66:5003
     * LED purposes:
     * - To use the feature, uncomment any of the MY_DEFAULT_xx_LED_PINs in your sketch, only the LEDs that is defined is used.
     * - RX (green) - blink fast on radio message recieved. In inclusion mode will blink fast only on presentation recieved
     * - TX (yellow) - blink fast on radio message transmitted. In inclusion mode will blink slowly
     * - ERR (red) - fast blink on error during transmission error or recieve crc error
     * See http://www.mysensors.org/build/esp8266_gateway for wiring instructions.
     * nRF24L01+  ESP8266
     * VCC        VCC
     * CE         GPIO4
     * CSN/CS     GPIO15
     * SCK        GPIO14
     * MISO       GPIO12
     * MOSI       GPIO13
     * GND        GND
     * Not all ESP8266 modules have all pins available on their external interface.
     * This code has been tested on an ESP-12 module.
     * The ESP8266 requires a certain pin configuration to download code, and another one to run code:
     * - Connect REST (reset) via 10K pullup resistor to VCC, and via switch to GND ('reset switch')
     * - Connect GPIO15 via 10K pulldown resistor to GND
     * - Connect CH_PD via 10K resistor to VCC
     * - Connect GPIO2 via 10K resistor to VCC
     * - Connect GPIO0 via 10K resistor to VCC, and via switch to GND ('bootload switch')
      * Inclusion mode button:
     * - Connect GPIO5 via switch to GND ('inclusion switch')
     * Hardware SHA204 signing is currently not supported!
     * Make sure to fill in your ssid and WiFi password below for ssid & pass.
     */

// Enable debug prints to serial monitor
    #define MY_DEBUG

// Use a bit lower baudrate for serial prints on ESP8266 than default in MyConfig.h
    #define MY_BAUD_RATE 9600

// Enables and select radio type (if attached)
    //#define MY_RADIO_NRF24
    //#define MY_RADIO_RFM69

#define MY_GATEWAY_ESP8266

#define MY_ESP8266_SSID "*********"
    #define MY_ESP8266_PASSWORD "**********"

// Enable UDP communication
    //#define MY_USE_UDP

// Set the hostname for the WiFi Client. This is the hostname
    // it will pass to the DHCP server if not static.
    #define MY_ESP8266_HOSTNAME "sensor-gateway1"

// Enable MY_IP_ADDRESS here if you want a static ip address (no DHCP)
    // #define MY_IP_ADDRESS 192,168,1,7

// If using static ip you need to define Gateway and Subnet address as well
    // #define MY_IP_GATEWAY_ADDRESS 192,168,1,1
    // #define MY_IP_SUBNET_ADDRESS 255,255,255,0

// The port to keep open on node server mode
    #define MY_PORT 5003

// How many clients should be able to connect to this gateway (default 1)
    #define MY_GATEWAY_MAX_CLIENTS 2

// Controller ip address. Enables client mode (default is "server" mode).
    // Also enable this if MY_USE_UDP is used and you want sensor data sent somewhere.
    //#define MY_CONTROLLER_IP_ADDRESS 192, 168, 178, 68

// Enable inclusion mode
    #define MY_INCLUSION_MODE_FEATURE

// Enable Inclusion mode button on gateway
    // #define MY_INCLUSION_BUTTON_FEATURE
    // Set inclusion mode duration (in seconds)
    #define MY_INCLUSION_MODE_DURATION 60
    // Digital pin used for inclusion mode button
    #define MY_INCLUSION_MODE_BUTTON_PIN  3

// Set blinking period
    // #define MY_DEFAULT_LED_BLINK_PERIOD 300

// Flash leds on rx/tx/err
    // Led pins used if blinking feature is enabled above
    #define MY_DEFAULT_ERR_LED_PIN 16  // Error led pin
    #define MY_DEFAULT_RX_LED_PIN  16  // Receive led pin
    #define MY_DEFAULT_TX_LED_PIN  16  // the PCB, on board LED

#if defined(MY_USE_UDP)
    #include <WiFiUdp.h>
    #endif

#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>

// Start of the sensor specific code
    #include <SPI.h>
    #include <MySensors.h>
    #include <pins_arduino.h>
    #include <Bounce2.h>
    #define CHILD_ID 0
    int oldValue=-1;
    MyMessage msg(CHILD_ID, V_TRIPPED);
    void setup()
    {
      pinMode(D0,INPUT_PULLUP);

debouncer.attach(D0);
      debouncer.interval(5);
    }

void presentation()
    {
    	// Present locally attached sensors here
    }

void loop() 
    {
      debouncer.update();
      // Get the update value

if (value != oldValue)
    	{
         // Send in the new value
         oldValue = value;
    	}
    }```

• Just a quick additional information.
    While deeply testing the full functionality, I realized that if the NodeMCU goes out of main
    power AND the magnetic contact connected to D3 (GPIO 0) is closed, the loaded configuration is lost. I found out that usage of GPIO 0, 2, 15 is deprecated because these pin have a meaning during reboot.
    For this reason I moved my switch to D0 (GPIO 16) and modified accordingly the sketch of my previous post.
    Sorry

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics