What do you use for burn bootloader on 3v boards?

• I've used Arduino as ISP before with Nano as programmer. In fact I have several nodes in my house with the MYS bootloader burned like this. But surprisingly, yesterday I was trying to do it again and I couldn't do anything to success it. I always got a variable incorrect signature detections, like xffffff, x000fff and x000000.
    I thought the problem was bad wiring, but it wasn't. As the target was a 3v board and the Nano was 5v, I made a level conversion circuit in a breadboard, including the cap between rst and gnd. Fail.
    I then burned another 3v Pro mini with the ArduinoIsp sketch and tried with direct connections without success. (this time the ide doesn't sync to the FTDI port of the programmer)
    This can't be that difficult. What do you guys do for that? I've tried searching programmers but they are 5v all of them.
    At this time I don't know what are my issues. Or if they are caused by big recent updates to W10.

• How do You connect the programmer to the board ? Do you power the board from the programmer or from separate power supply/battery ? Do you have any 5v non tolerant devices on board ?

• Mod

I used an arduino uno to program the bootloader on a 3.3v pro mini. I used 5v on vcc and I had power led and voltage regulator removed.

• @rozpruwacz Thank you for your help. I just realized the cause of the issue and just now saw your reply.
    I power the set through the usb port from the Nano. And the pro minis where brand new, so that was very strange.

The problem is that my wife has 4 new kitties. Yup, that's it.
    An hour ago I started a meditation session, vulcan style. Then I recalled those past days having to replace some wires being bitten. So I got my BF...lens and took a look to the wires, they were all Ok, but the cap I use on reset took a small but fatal bites. as I replaced it the board begin to send back signals to the programmer. Also those new Minis I bought seem not being so quality ones. The blink sketch they have creates coms interference that I have to burn a blank sketch first.

Damn, this was driving me crazy. But they are so lovely... hehehe

• But you can still chime in with your favorite programming rigs, and pictures 😉

• @sergio-rius I generally I use modified usb-asp programmer (like this one https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/3-3V-5V-USB-ISP-USB-ASP-Programmer-Downloader-Cable-for-Atmel-AVR-ATMega-51-TE141/32699660766.html) that is modified to work entirely on 3.3v (5V from usb into 3.3v LDO). All stuff I use can be powered from 3.3v so this is good for me. When programming the board I always power it from the programmer, so for battery powered nodes I remove the battery, for mains powered nodes I just do not connect them to power. So basically it boils down to have 3.3v programmer.
    I don't know why those programmers that are sold as 3.3v or 5v are actually all 5v with additional 3.3V output power pin ... This does not make sense because the SPI signals are still 5v ...

• @rozpruwacz said in What do you use for burn bootloader on 3v boards?:

I don't know why those programmers that are sold as 3.3v or 5v are actually all 5v with additional 3.3V output power pin ... This does not make sense because the SPI signals are still 5v ...

China suppliers rule by the cheapest. They lean on the fact that the chips on the pro minis are all the same. So that 3v3 ones can handle 5v power.
    Other components may not but they don't bother. They center in one possible application and start the machine until it burns to ground.

• @sergio-rius maybe, but in this particular case all that is needed is to take VCC for the atmega from the onboard LDO instead of directly from the USB port 🙂

• Mod

I remember there is a limit to the voltage difference between the vcc and the signal pins,or am I wrong?

• I would like to say yes, as I'm currently programming a 3v3 Arduino pro mini board like this. But I'm having some problems.
    I would like someone to give me a hand on this.
    I'm trying to get a rgbwdimmer programmed with the MysBootloader and the operating sketch. But I can only do one or another. If I burn the bootloader first, the board seems to do nothing on start. Even it doesn't react to reset. And I can't load a sketch.
    Then I have to burn back the Pro Mini 3v3 8Mhz bootloader with the IDE and then accepts the sketch and works. If I burn back the mysbootloader, goes back to the previous situation.
    I'm using the IDE and avrdudess with Arduino as ISP and for loading the sketch a simple USB to TTL.

Also, should be possible to load the compiled sketch+bootloader through avrdude, but when I do, the board also freezes on power.

Can anyone tell me what I'm misunderstanding?
    @tekka Does the mysbootloader relies on the standard pinout for the nrf?

• Admin

@sergio-rius By default CE=9, CSN=10

• @tekka But it's mandatory, like this for the FOTA to work?

Well, obviously yes, if it's incorporated to the code. So I suppose that I would have to compile my own version.
    It's there any description for the fuses being different than the stock ones?

• Admin

@sergio-rius see the correct fuse settings in the included boards.txt file

• @tekka
    My pin settings for the radio are:

#define MY_RF24_CE_PIN 4 //<-- NOTE!!! changed, the default is 9
    #define MY_RF24_CS_PIN 10 // default is 10

What should I change in BL code for making it to work?

Fuses yes, I also have them wrong. I read them from a brand new board and they are

Low Fuse      0xFF
      High Fuse     0xDA
      Extended Fuse 0×05
      LB            0x3F

And mines are:

Low Fuse      0xE2
      High Fuse     0xD2
      Extended Fuse 0×06
      LB            0x0F

What I'm trying to learn is whay mysbl ones are also different from the stock ones.

• Admin

@sergio-rius Is there a particular reason why you are using pin 4 for CE - if you can change it back to CE=9 w/o much effort I'd go for that before trying to recompile mysbootloader. The fuses also define the bootloader section size: If the stock bootloader is optiboot the BL section size will be 512 bytes - mysbootloader uses 2048 bytes, hence different fuse settings. More on AVR fuses here: http://www.engbedded.com/fusecalc/

• @tekka I'm using the RGBW Controller by LastSamurai, and it rearranges the pins. So I can't change anything there.
    Yes, I'm already on that page comparing the two settings and the size was the only one thing left to discover. Thank you.

I suppose I'll have to drop mysbootloader for all those nodes 😭

• Admin

@sergio-rius Today is (if it works) your lucky day 😉

MYSBootloader_1_3_0rc1_8Mhz_CE4_CSN10.hex

• @tekka WOOOOOOWWWW! THANNKYUUU!!!! 👌

• Just a flash question, I suppose I must clone the 8Mhz RC settings for fuses... but even being a pro mini board with an external xtal?

• Admin

@sergio-rius Yes, if I find time I'll compile a 16Mhz version

• @tekka I have some news.
    After burning this version, the board doesn't accept loading a sketch through FTDI.

Sketch uses 7666 bytes (24%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.
    Global variables use 348 bytes (16%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1700 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
    C:\Users\sergio\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino9/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\sergio\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino9/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM8 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\sergio\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_767496/DimmableLEDActuator.ino.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jan 17 2017 at 12:00:53
             Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
             Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\sergio\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino9/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM8
             Using Programmer              : arduino
             Overriding Baud Rate          : 57600
    avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xaf
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xaf
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xaf
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xaf
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xaf
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xaf
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xaf
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xaf
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xaf
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xaf

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

But it shows a new "Booting" node in MYSController and seems FW can be uploaded, but at an absord slow speed.

May this speed be a problem of mine with the rPI gateway. The part of the service that handles radio hangs in periodically and I have to SSH into the rPi and restart the service. During this, MYSC talks with the service but nothing is sent or received.

10 minutes already passed and it's still writing the 30B sketch.

• Playing with another node I realized that burning bl+sketch through avrdude gives a node with MYSBL that boots asking for sketch but immediately goes on with the sketch. So far is a good solution. 👍

The firsts still uploading the 30B sketch 😳
    Are you sure that it's normal?

Edit: It has been uploading (i think several times) for the last 50mins and now is stuck in "Booting: 50.1 (BL1.3)"

• About the issue of my gateway I talked before. I found that the problem must be induced by domoticz.
    As I was tired of reseting the GW during those tests (and not being able to open my door garaje), I built a new esp gateway. I ran a 2.4Ghz scanner that covers all the channels and decided for a clean 100+ channel.
    The gateway passed the tests and I connected it to domoticz.
    I re-configured two nodes for working with it, but they weren't registering. I then realized that my rPi gw was in it's "halt" status... but also the wifi one.
    So I've restarted Domoticz and bingo, the nodes started registering on the wifi gw.
    Seems that my Domoticz installation may be sending something that makes gw freeze. I thought that could be my mains consumption counter as it was a big number, but I resetted to zero two days ago for this sake.
    If devels want to make me dump logs or anything I'll be putting my installation on quarantine.

It's halted again. When that occurs this is the only registered on MYSC:
    0_1523551176133_Frozen.png

• Mod

How did you build the gateway? What are the arduino boards versions are you using?

• @gohan What do you mean? The rPi or the Esp?
    For the rPi I first used a NRF24 pa lna getting power from the 5v line with a voltage regulator (ams1117 based)
    Then I thought could be problems with this radio or supply and ditched it for a normal NRF24. With identical behavior. Sometimes works for a week or a couple of them or I have to restart the whole Pi several times a day only for being able to go out of home.
    When I first implemented the rPiGw worked for weeks. Then the problem appeared. then vanished and was working for months until some point that became worse.
    I even thought that my wifi hotspot could be dying and changed it for a unify-pro (nice gadget)
    I live in a house far from others, so wifi interference seems not an issue.

I run the Pi from a readonly sd for boot partition and then uses an usb drive for the system+controller. logs on tmpfs.

I was fastly implementing it in my home, but as this problems arose, I only have the power monitor node, the garaje door node and a doorbell that is offline because suspiciously started to eat batteries two months ago.

I'm in Domoticz beta.

For the esp gw it's just a nodemcu board on a breadboard paired to a normal nrf24.

Edit: Ups! mysensors versions are all 2.2.0. The arduinos are all 3v3 8mhz boards and one 5v (power)

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics