Gateway with LCD

• Mod

I am creating my final cases for the Gateway and a few Repeaters.

Instead of leds to show what is happening I would like to use an lcd.

I was thinking of 'replacing' the three status leds from the sample sketch with symbols on the lcd. But the minimum would be to show when it is operational and show when there is an error.

I know how to deal with the hardware side of things.
    What I need is a couple of pointers/suggestions what I would need to do to intercept status messages and relay them to the display.

• Contest Winner

@marceltrapman said:

What I need is a couple of pointers/suggestions what I would need to do to intercept status messages and relay them to the display.

cool idea

Interesting that someone else recently brought this up to me...

What about starting with echoing the serial output of the gateway to your LCD display? Try to get the MySensors message to display.

Flashing the LCD's LED backlight could indicate trouble....
    Displaying in text that it is in pairing mode...

It's a nice project to pursue.

• Mod

Echoing (to begin with) is exactly what I was aiming at @BulldogLowell but doesn't that mean that I have to hack into the libs?

Or is there a way to capture the serial output message?

Once I have that I think it won't be too difficult 🙂

• Contest Winner

@marceltrapman

Not sure if you can fit this all in to your gateway but in the library files, there are only a few places with Serial.print output.

Screen Shot 2015-06-06 at 11.22.24 AM.png

so maybe take your current library and make a copy (for copying back over once you have messed about with your library files), then you can try to get Liquidcrystal library into your gateway sketch and try to compile.

Then add in the lcd.print commands in the MySensors libs one by one and recompile

maybe...

• Mod

That sounds like a good approach.

My case will be ready in a couple of minutes but I fear that I am going to be asked to be more social around the same time so today the project strands.

Tomorrow, yes tomorrow I am going to give this a go 🙂

Thanks @BulldogLowell for looking this up. It gave me the time to install my 2nd FABtotum 3D printer...

• Contest Winner

@marceltrapman said:

FABtotum 3D printer

I'm thinking about buying a 3D printer, but was leaning towards FlashForge. It seems like the consumer's dollar is voting strongly for the Flashforge...

Any chance you could provide some comments on your FABtotum (other than you must like it if you bought a 2nd)?

• Mod

@BulldogLowell I can't comment on the FlashForge. I am a true beginner without any knowledge other than my own experience with the FABtotum. If I were you I would work my way through these pages: https://www.3dhubs.com/best-3d-printer-guide...

About my Factotums: The first one I bought was from a disappointed user without much patience. I was really lucky since it cost me 150 Euro incl. shipment.
    The second one was the one I pre-ordered.

The reason I have them is because they can do 3D printing, 2.5/3D Milling and 3D scanning. The quality of the print is ok but I don't have the knowledge (and/or patience) yet to improve. I am about to take my first steps into Milling now that my 2nd printer is there (pcb's yeah). Scanning does not work much yet and should become better over time.

The FAB is a really new product from a really new company. They do their best, the printer is of decent quality but I am also sure that a v2.0 will be much better.
    Having said that: I am truly happy and the first printer already did about two hundred hours of printing over a couple of weekends.
    And for this money there is no comparable machine yet 🙂

• Contest Winner

@marceltrapman

thanks for the information, I too like the milling capability, that seems like a great way to make PCBs!!!

Keep us up to speed on your progress. This China printing is not working for me. 😬

P.S. If you want I'll give you €175 for your old one... a tidy profit! 😆

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics