Repeater vs st=Fail

• hello team,

Just an easy question. We have this Sensor<-> Repeater<-> GW
    On my sensor, If I receive a "st=Fail"
    Does it mean that issue is between Device <-> Repeater (then the first hop)?
    Or issue is that message has not been received by the Gateway, I mean packet can be drop either between "Sensor<-> Repeater" or "Repeater<-> GW"???

thanks 🙂

• Hardware Contributor

Is st=Fail the only issue you're having? Could you send us some info of the serial monitor?

• Thanks for your reply.
    In fact, I'm use to work with Mysensor, I have many sensor.
    In my case, it globally works. My concern here, is that I made a PCB Shield for my weather station.
    My weather station is on my roof, I'm looking to place the repeater at the right place to avoid the maximum of loss. SO I made a lot of try everytwhere... My concern is really to understand what does mean the st=fail. Deos it mean : 1) the message has not een received by the GW, and message can be drop anywhere 2) The message has been dropped between the sensor and the repetaer only.
    I just try to understand where the message is drop to optimize the distance/reception of the problematic segment.
    PS :I don't have at this time, some monitor, as I have to go on my roof to
    thanks 🙂

• Hardware Contributor

@doblanch Ahh right okay, well i'm afraid i can't help you with the definition.

• too bad !!! thanks

• Hardware Contributor

I followed both node and repeater today. If it was ST=OK in the node-log I could see that in the repeter log as well and vice versa, if i got ST=FAIL i couldt se any entry in the repeter serial log. I didnt watch the GW log so i cant say more that that...

I would guess in this case its the first hop.

• Thanks for your help...
    We can assume that the issue is on the first hop....
    But the st=fail means, maybe, that the message has not reached GW.... in both case, drop on 1st hop or 2nd Hop(GW) result in the same message...
    The test would be to generate a wifi issue between GW/repeater, and see if the node has a st=fail or st=ok
    I don't have 3 PC to test... May be @hek can answer 🙂 he made the protocol ...
    It will help a lot in my Troubleshoot. In fact, I have issues with NRF... I tried different, one. I have one working well... now, but still want to confirm in case of...

This one seems to work
    http://www.ebay.fr/itm/281471682942

• I answer myself, hope it will help somebody else ...
    @return true Returns true if message reached the **first stop ** on its way to destination.
    indeed, it clarifies my question...

/**
    	* Sends a message to gateway or one of the other nodes in the radio network
    	* @param msg Message to send
    	* @param ack Set this to true if you want destination node to send ack back to this node. Default is not to request any ack.
    	* @return true Returns true if message reached the first stop on its way to destination.
    	*/
    	bool send(MyMessage &msg, bool ack=false);

• Hardware Contributor

@doblanch
    Maybe I'm a pedant here, but quite often the message very well reaches it's first stop BUT then this "low level radio-radio ack" does not seem to reach its way back. Don't know why, but that's from my experience.

• Hardware Contributor

@doblanch Awesome, thank you for providing the answer and not just deserting the forum topic. Like you said, this will aid anyone that is having this issue too. True community here!

• happy to help 🙂
    I still have some issue. My repeater nano freeze after couple of days... it's blinking quickly (RX?/TX?)... and I lost the connectivity. I have to reboot it. Only node connected to this repeater stuck !
    I don't have a cable connnected to it...then I don't know what type of error I'm facing to

• @doblanch

Is your repeater using MyS 1.5? I had similar problems with a nano as repeater using MyS 1.4 and after upgrading the repeater node to 1.5, everything worked without lockup or 'lost' nodes.

• @Dwalt Hello,
    In fact, I posted a new thread, because I don't understand my problem... (and it's not , 'im sure now, that it's not on the node, but on the repeater 100% sure)
    I use 1.5 (but the one from august, the one just out of the box, I think they had some changes since).. I saw some bug fix (see below the thread corresponding)
    You are using the 1.5 but what is the date of the file in the library (me it was august), I understood, that there was some changes... a bug in the library. My problem is very very similar, but I can be sure 100% because, when repetear stuck, I don't have serial connected to log. However, I see the led blinking a lot meaning that there is a lot of communication happening... a loop for example in a send message 🙂 If I connnect my USB repeater reboot, and problem disappears..
    From now, I have just disabled the "reset" when plugin usb ( a 120ohm between RST and 5V). Next time I will connect to check what is grabbing on the console.
    see here : Repeater nood keeps looping... and doesnt reach gw
    In the mean time , I upgraded to the 1.5 library, the one from november...
    let's see, but I'm on this issue since 3 months !!! I'm quite lost, and I don't know exactly how to move forward now

• @m26872 I agree, sometimes packet reach the next hop, but the ACK does'nt come back ... I saw that... I was receiving the information on my controller, but this message was not acked properly, and I had a st=Fail ....I think it can happen when we are using 2 different type of NRF24 (NRF24+PA+LNA vs NRF24)... one is sending more far , and the ack can't reach because it does not have enough power ...

• Hardware Contributor

@doblanch Sure its likely power related, but I'm not using any nRF PA version.

• @m26872 ok 😞

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics