OpenHAB 2.5 MySensors Serial Gateway - How to install

• [update 2018-03-03 for version 2.2]
    [update 2019-01-05 for version 2.4]
    [updates 2019-04 add esh-io-transport-mqtt (needed even for serial gateway) and stop debug mysensors]
    [updates 2020-02-25 update for zulu openjdk implementation and other minor adjustments]

Preparing your raspberry with clean install:
    Download RASPBIAN STRETCH LITE from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
    Flash to SD-Card with etcher (https://etcher.io/) or any other flash tool you like
    create empty "ssh" file in root on SD-Card
    Insert SD-Card into raspberry PI, connect with UTP cable to your router and power on.
    Go get some coffee
    Get IP address by pinging raspberrypi.local from commandprompt on your pc
    Start SSH session with putty to the raspberry pi
    Login as "pi" with password "raspberry"

Initial configuration:
    sudo raspi-config
    Change your password
    Network options\Hostname Change hostname to "openhabpi" or what you want
    [optional: add wifi settings]
    Interfacing Options\SPI enable
    Advanced options\Expand the file system
    Advanced options\Memory split change the memory split for the GPU from "64" to β€œ16”
    Finish + reboot
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install screen mc vim git htop

Java installation: (updated 2020-02-25)
    echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu xenial main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java.list
    echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu xenial main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java.list
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys EEA14886
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer
    sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-set-default

wget -q -O - http://repos.azulsystems.com/RPM-GPG-KEY-azulsystems | sudo tee /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/zulu.asc
    sudo echo 'deb http://repos.azulsystems.com/debian stable main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zulu.list
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install zulu-embedded-8

MySensors:
    git clone https://github.com/mysensors/MySensors.git --branch master
    cd MySensors

[edit update 2019-01-05]
    sudo nano /home/pi/MySensors/examples_linux/mysgw.cpp

Uncomment the where needed to make it look like this:

// Config file
    #define MY_LINUX_CONFIG_FILE "/etc/mysensors.conf"

// How many clients should be able to connect to this gateway (default 1)
    #define MY_GATEWAY_MAX_CLIENTS 10

// Serial config
    // Enable this if you are using an Arduino connected to the USB
    #define MY_LINUX_SERIAL_PORT "/dev/ttyUSB0"
    // Enable this if you need to connect to a controller running on the same device
    // You also need to define MY_LINUX_SERIAL_PORT above with the symlink name for the PTY device
    #define MY_LINUX_SERIAL_IS_PTY
    // Grant access to the specified system group for the serial device
    #define MY_LINUX_SERIAL_GROUPNAME "tty"

Save & close mysgw.cpp

note: I have chosen channel 69 for the rf24 network. You can choose your own, but remember to use the same channel in your arduino sketches as you do here.

./configure --my-gateway=serial --my-serial-is-pty --my-rf24-channel=69 --my-transport=rf24 --my-serial-groupname=tty
    make
    sudo ./bin/mysgw --config-file /etc/mysensors.dat --daemon
    sudo make install
    sudo systemctl daemon-reload
    sudo systemctl enable mysgw.service
    sudo systemctl start mysgw.service

OpenHAB2:
    wget -qO - 'https://bintray.com/user/downloadSubjectPublicKey?username=openhab' | sudo apt-key add -
    echo 'deb http://dl.bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo2 stable main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab2.list
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install openhab2
    sudo apt-get install openhab2-addons
    sudo systemctl start openhab2.service
    sudo systemctl status openhab2.service
    sudo systemctl daemon-reload
    sudo systemctl enable openhab2.service

Time for coffee again.......

open web page select expert....

sudo usermod -a -G dialout openhab
    sudo usermod -a -G tty openhab

cd /usr/share/openhab2/addons/
    sudo wget http://www.oberfoell.com/openhab2/org.openhab.binding.mysensors-2.5.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
    sudo chown openhab:openhab org.openhab.binding.mysensors-2.5.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
    ssh -p 8101 openhab@localhost (used to fail the first time, but works now at the first attempt)
    pw:habopen
    feature:install openhab-transport-serial
    feature:install openhab-core-io-transport-mqtt
    log:set DEBUG org.openhab.binding.mysensors
    log:tail

sudo reboot

Finally:
    web-> paperui/things add MySensors Serial Gateway
    settings:
    Serial Port: /dev/ttyUSB0
    Send Delay: 200
    Baudrate: 115200
    Skip startup connection check: true

All done. Good luck!

When all is working well, you can stop debugging mysensors this will help to reduce the log files.
    //start karaf
    ssh -p 8101 openhab@localhost
    //enter password
    habopen
    // stop debugging mysensors and switch to only registring events
    log:set INFO org.openhab.binding.mysensors
    // close karaf
    <ctrl>D

For further reducing logs you can add them to logrotate

Hey!

The MysGW Service is running with root permissions and therefore creates the device "/dev/ttyMySensorsGateway" with owner and group root.

Please test: "sudo usermod -a -G root openhab"

Do a restart to be sure the settings are used.

That shouldn't be the final solution though.

• Really grateful for your reply. Tried it and it didn't fix my problem unfortenately

09:43:21.396 [DEBUG] [col.serial.MySensorsSerialConnection] - Connecting to /dev/pts/1 [baudRate:115200]
    09:43:21.398 [DEBUG] [col.serial.MySensorsSerialConnection] - Final port list: /dev/pts/1
    09:43:21.402 [ERROR] [col.serial.MySensorsSerialConnection] - Can't connect to serial port. Wrong port?
    09:43:21.405 [ERROR] [col.serial.MySensorsSerialConnection] - Failed connecting to bridge...next retry in 10 seconds (Retry No.:17)
    09:43:21.407 [DEBUG] [col.serial.MySensorsSerialConnection] - Shutting down serial connection!

09:45:14.726 [DEBUG] [col.serial.MySensorsSerialConnection] - Connecting to /dev/ttyMySensorsGateway [baudRate:115200]
    09:45:14.728 [DEBUG] [col.serial.MySensorsSerialConnection] - Final port list: /dev/ttyMySensorsGateway
    09:45:14.732 [ERROR] [col.serial.MySensorsSerialConnection] - Can't connect to serial port. Wrong port?
    09:45:14.735 [ERROR] [col.serial.MySensorsSerialConnection] - Failed connecting to bridge...next retry in 10 seconds (Retry No.:1)
    09:45:14.737 [DEBUG] [col.serial.MySensorsSerialConnection] - Shutting down serial connection!

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root          10 apr 23 09:35 ttyMySensorsGateway -> /dev/pts/1
    pi@Controller:/dev/pts $ ls -l
    totaal 0
    crw--w---- 1 pi   tty  136, 0 apr 23  2017 0
    crw--w---- 1 root tty  136, 1 apr 23 09:35 1
    crw--w---- 1 pi   tty  136, 2 apr 23 09:41 2
    c--------- 1 root root   5, 2 jan  1  1970 ptmx

In my /etc/group I have this (filtered out some stuff this noob thinks is obsolete πŸ˜‰ )

root:x:0:openhab
    daemon:x:1:
    bin:x:2:
    sys:x:3:
    adm:x:4:pi
    tty:x:5:
    dialout:x:20:pi,openhab
    sudo:x:27:pi
    www-data:x:33:
    pi:x:1000:
    spi:x:999:pi
    i2c:x:998:pi
    gpio:x:997:pi
    openhab:x:119:```

• solved it

Inside "/home/pi/MySensors/example_linux/mysgw.cpp" or where you downloaded the "git clone https://github.com/mysensors/MySensors.git --branch master" there is this option:

//#define MY_LINUX_SERIAL_GROUPNAME "tty"

uncomment to
    #define MY_LINUX_SERIAL_GROUPNAME "tty"

save file

stop mysgw with "sudo systemctl stop mysgw.service"
    remove mysgw from auto start with "sudo systemctl disable mysgw.service"
    uninstall with "sudo make uninstall"
    installed again

I added openhab to the tty group using "sudo usermod -a -G tty openhab"

full reboot

and it works!

• Made a reΓ―nstall again and found that something was incomplete and that it didn't work anymore with the stable branche.

Missing in "initial config" is enabling SPI through raspi-config at the start

At installing MySensors replace:
    git clone https://github.com/mysensors/MySensors.git --branch master
    with:
    git clone https://github.com/mysensors/MySensors.git --branch development

echo 'deb http://dl.bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo2 stable main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab2.list
    Now needs to be:
    echo 'deb https://dl.bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo2 stable main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab2.list

sudo wget http://www.oberfoell.com/openhab2/org.openhab.binding.mysensors-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

sudo chown openhab:openhab org.openhab.binding.mysensors-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

Somehow this next one always times-out the first time. 2nd attempt does give me a connection after a while
    ssh -p 8101 openhab@localhost

• @flipflap3

I still have problem with with org.openhab.binding.mysensors-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar and org.openhab.binding.mysensors-2.3.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
    I get always de Mysensors Serial Gateway offline with this error

2018-03-01 21:36:47.880 [DEBUG] [col.serial.MySensorsSerialConnection] - Connecting to /dev/ttyMySensorsGateway [baudRate:115200]
    2018-03-01 21:36:47.890 [ERROR] [col.serial.MySensorsSerialConnection] - No such port: /dev/ttyMySensorsGateway
    gnu.io.NoSuchPortException: null
    	at gnu.io.CommPortIdentifier.getPortIdentifier(CommPortIdentifier.java:273) [25:com.neuronrobotics.nrjavaserial:3.12.0.OH]
    	at org.openhab.binding.mysensors.internal.protocol.serial.MySensorsSerialConnection.establishConnection(MySensorsSerialConnection.java:51) [195:org.openhab.binding.mysensors:2.3.0.201802141500]
    	at org.openhab.binding.mysensors.internal.protocol.MySensorsAbstractConnection.connect(MySensorsAbstractConnection.java:148) [195:org.openhab.binding.mysensors:2.3.0.201802141500]
    	at org.openhab.binding.mysensors.internal.protocol.MySensorsAbstractConnection.run(MySensorsAbstractConnection.java:127) [195:org.openhab.binding.mysensors:2.3.0.201802141500]
    	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) [?:?]
    	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:308) [?:?]
    	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180) [?:?]
    	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:294) [?:?]
    	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142) [?:?]
    	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617) [?:?]
    	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [?:?]

I back to org.openhab.binding.mysensors-2.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar and now it's working again. Any ideas?

Thanks

• @jic Nope sry, BUT.. I am going to do a fresh install again today. Will check if I can get it to work and make updates to this howto where needed.

• 2.3 snapshot doesn't work. 2.2 does

Updated opening post for step by step instruction on installing openhab2.2 with mysensors 2.2 serial gateway binding. If you have any questions, just post them here.

• Seem it's working know.

Thanks

• I am trying to follow these instructions to set up OpenHab with the MySensors Serial Gateway, but ran into a problem when installing the Java (Third command.). Here is a copy of the command and error:

pi@openhabpi:~ $ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys EEA14886
    Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.3nAEDiCNLy/gpg.1.sh --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys EEA14886
    gpg: failed to start the dirmngr '/usr/bin/dirmngr': No such file or directory
    gpg: connecting dirmngr at '/tmp/apt-key-gpghome.3nAEDiCNLy/S.dirmngr' failed: No such file or directory
    gpg: keyserver receive failed: No dirmngr

Please let me know if I missed something.

BTW, this is using the raspbian stretch lite version, dated 2018-03-13.

Thank you!

• @FlipFlap3
    Firstly well done for the brilliant instructions . I too have been attempting to use Openhab with my sensors over the last year and to be honest although I've had relative success, because of the limited amount of, up to date and accurate tutorials its been a steep slope to climb. Currently I have Openhabian installed on a Raspberry pi with a Gateway connected to the I/O pins of the Pi and a couple of temp sensors connected ( all be it with difficulty ). It's setup as an Ethernet Gateway but I did try once to setup it up as a serial gateway, unsuccessfully I might add. Out of interest if I did re- install using your setup instructions, Is a serial Gateway better or easier in any way ? it does seem like the most supported option of the 3 for most people on the forum .

• @frozenyack Sorry, I can't remember seeing an error like that before.

• @greymarvel said in OpenHAB 2.2 MySensors Serial Gateway - How to install:

@FlipFlap3
    Firstly well done for the brilliant instructions . I too have been attempting to use Openhab with my sensors over the last year and to be honest although I've had relative success, because of the limited amount of, up to date and accurate tutorials its been a steep slope to climb. Currently I have Openhabian installed on a Raspberry pi with a Gateway connected to the I/O pins of the Pi and a couple of temp sensors connected ( all be it with difficulty ). It's setup as an Ethernet Gateway but I did try once to setup it up as a serial gateway, unsuccessfully I might add. Out of interest if I did re- install using your setup instructions, Is a serial Gateway better or easier in any way ? it does seem like the most supported option of the 3 for most people on the forum .

Thanks

Sorry for late response (busy with anual reporting lately).

I have tried MTTQ first myself, but I didn't get things working smoothly. 2nd attempt was with serial gateway. Even though I had some problems at first, I did manage to get it working. I had a hard time finding a good tutorial though, so I wrote down the steps I took carefully. Reason for me to put it here was to have a personal backup for my notes and if it would be helpful for anyone else that would be an awesome bonus πŸ˜‰

I didn't try ethernet gateway yet cause I am happy with the current setup.

• Hi,

The mysgw seems to be creating a link to the wrong TTY.
    When I connect the arduino gateway, I get the /dev/ttyUSB1 device.

Insert Code Herepi@nettemp:~/MySensors $ ls /dev/tty*
    /dev/tty    /dev/tty15  /dev/tty22  /dev/tty3   /dev/tty37  /dev/tty44  /dev/tty51  /dev/tty59  /dev/tty9
    /dev/tty0   /dev/tty16  /dev/tty23  /dev/tty30  /dev/tty38  /dev/tty45  /dev/tty52  /dev/tty6   /dev/ttyAMA0
    /dev/tty1   /dev/tty17  /dev/tty24  /dev/tty31  /dev/tty39  /dev/tty46  /dev/tty53  /dev/tty60  /dev/ttyUSB0
    /dev/tty10  /dev/tty18  /dev/tty25  /dev/tty32  /dev/tty4   /dev/tty47  /dev/tty54  /dev/tty61  /dev/ttyUSB1
    /dev/tty11  /dev/tty19  /dev/tty26  /dev/tty33  /dev/tty40  /dev/tty48  /dev/tty55  /dev/tty62  /dev/ttyprintk
    /dev/tty12  /dev/tty2   /dev/tty27  /dev/tty34  /dev/tty41  /dev/tty49  /dev/tty56  /dev/tty63
    /dev/tty13  /dev/tty20  /dev/tty28  /dev/tty35  /dev/tty42  /dev/tty5   /dev/tty57  /dev/tty7
    /dev/tty14  /dev/tty21  /dev/tty29  /dev/tty36  /dev/tty43  /dev/tty50  /dev/tty58  /dev/tty8

Then I start the mysgw and a new tty is created: "/dev/ttyMySensorsGateway", which looks nice. However, the mysgw returns lots of errors:

mysgw: Starting gateway...
    mysgw: Protocol version - 2.2.0
    mysgw: Serial port /dev/ttyMySensorsGateway (115200 baud) created
    mysgw: MCO:BGN:INIT GW,CP=RNNGL---,VER=2.2.0
    mysgw: TSF:LRT:OK
    mysgw: TSM:INIT
    mysgw: TSF:WUR:MS=0
    mysgw: !TSM:INIT:TSP FAIL
    mysgw: TSM:FAIL:CNT=1
    mysgw: TSM:FAIL:DIS
    mysgw: TSF:TDI:TSL
    mysgw: TSM:INIT
    mysgw: !TSM:INIT:TSP FAIL
    mysgw: TSM:FAIL:CNT=2
    mysgw: TSM:FAIL:DIS
    mysgw: TSF:TDI:TSL

Then I go check what is wrong an I see the pointer wasn't created towards "/dev/ttyUSB1", but "/dev/pts/1":

pi@nettemp:~/MySensors $ ls -larth /dev/ttyMySensorsGateway 
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Apr 26 18:27 /dev/ttyMySensorsGateway -> /dev/pts/1

Taking a look into the /dev/ttyUSB1 directly I can see it is fine, the problem is the GW software on the Raspberry PI that is pointing towards the wrong tty:

pi@nettemp:~ $ stty -F /dev/ttyUSB1 cs8 115200 ignbrk -brkint -icrnl -imaxbel -opost -onlcr -isig -icanon -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoctl -echoke noflsh -ixon -crtscts
    pi@nettemp:~ $ cat /dev/ttyUSB1 
    0;255;3;0;9;0 MCO:BGN:INIT GW,CP=RNNGAS--,VER=2.2.0
    0;255;3;0;9;0;255;3;0;9;0 MCO:BGN:INIT GW,CP=RNNGAS--,VER=2.2.0
    0;255;3;0;9;26 SGN:PER:OK
    0;255;3;0;9;64 SGN:INI:BND OK
    0;255;3;0;9;67 TSM:INIT
    0;255;3;0;9;69 TSF:WUR:MS=0
    0;255;3;0;9;77 TSM:INIT:TSP OK
    0;255;3;0;9;79 TSM:INIT:GW MODE
    0;255;3;0;9;82 TSM:READY:ID=0,PAR=0,DIS=0
    0;255;3;0;9;87 MCO:REG:NOT NEEDED
    0;255;3;0;14;Gateway startup complete.
    0;255;0;0;18;2.2.0
    0;255;3;0;9;91 MCO:BGN:STP
    0;255;3;0;9;98 MCO:BGN:INIT OK,TSP=1

Any idea of how to make this work?

Where can I see the alternatives for the "
    ./configure --my-gateway=serial --my-serial-is-pty --my-serial-pty=/dev/ttyMySensorsGateway --my-rf24-channel=69 --my-transport=nrf24 --my-serial-groupname=tty --my-config-file=/etc/mysensors.dat" command?

Thanks,

• @joaoabs

I had to re-install myself and found my how to wasn't 100% correct for OpenHAB 2.4 so I updated it.

Works with OpenHAB 2.4 and @TimO 's 2.4 jar. Kudos to him for this!

• My god, had everything almost working and now my PaperUI disappeared on me for the 2nd time.....

I was trying to remove and reinstall MySensors but this is the second time this happens to me πŸ˜• I don't want to re-install everything again! Any ideas on how I can get the paperUI back?

I tried removing my "addons.config" from "/var/lib/openhab2/config/org/openhab"
    didn't help, also opened it and it didn't have the paperui option, manually added it and still didn't work 😞

I am about to give up on OpenHab lol, is there any easier controller to setup? I heard good things about Domoticz but I JUST got OH to kinda work! I was just receiving the wrong values and thought it could of been because of some errors, so decided to re-compile MySensors and install it again.. and then poooof, the whole UI isn't there anymore 🀦 🀦 🀦 🀦 🀦 🀦 🀦 🀦 🀦 🀦 🀦 🀦 🀦 🀦 🀦 🀦 🀦 🀦 🀦

EDIT: oh great, even more stuff disappeared, now I only have HOMEBUILDER left! πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ

@nizoo91 Stick to addons.cfg in /etc/openhab2/conf/services and don't fiddle with the file you mentioned above.
    With package=standard (look for the examples in the comments) the UIs should reappear.

• @flipflap3 said in OpenHAB 2.4 MySensors Serial Gateway - How to install:

feature:install openhab-transport-serial

can you please add

"feature:install esh-io-transport-mqtt"

to the tutorial it is required to get it to work even in Serial πŸ™‚

• @nizoo91 Just found out myself as well that this was missing. Thanks!

• @flipflap3 said in OpenHAB 2.4 MySensors Serial Gateway - How to install:

sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer

This package has been removed and can't be installed as instructed in the tutorial. As of April, I believe it was removed from that repo.

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Package oracle-java8-installer is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source

E: Package 'oracle-java8-installer' has no installation candidate

Unsure of how to proceed.

• @iamtheghost,

I realize it's been few months, but I will post this anyway. As I also recently went through the same ordeal.

Thanks to OP for posting an easy to follow guide.

I found the official install instructions at OpenHAB quite good: https://www.openhab.org/docs/installation/linux.html

...with one exception. Currently, it seems there is some bug going on with their build system or something. I actually had lodged an issue of my own (and even had submitted a PR to correct the documentation) before someone replied, pointing me to the root issue. So for the time being, instead of using https://dl.bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo2 location, you should use https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/openhab-linuxpkg repository location.

Further, if you care about issues such as software freedom (which I do a great deal) you might want to consider installing Azul/Zulu Java 8 (make sure it's 8!) which I have done, instead of Oracle Java. Azul's (also excellent) instructions can be found linked from the OpenHAB Linux install instructions. And that would also solve your missing repo problem, obviously.

• @trs-80 said in OpenHAB 2.4 MySensors Serial Gateway - How to install:

Currently, it seems there is some bug going on with their build system or something. I actually had lodged an issue of my own (and even had submitted a PR to correct the documentation) before someone replied, pointing me to the root issue. So for the time being, instead of using https://dl.bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo2 location, you should use https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/openhab-linuxpkg repository location.

I ran into the same thing. Specifically, to get around this, the second instruction under the OpenHAB portion of the original post can be substituted with this:

echo 'deb https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/openhab-linuxpkg stable main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab2.list

EDIT: I've just noticed that they've updated the Package Repository Installation instructions to add the command above.

Further, if you care about issues such as software freedom (which I do a great deal) you might want to consider installing Azul/Zulu Java 8 (make sure it's 8!) which I have done, instead of Oracle Java. Azul's (also excellent) instructions can be found linked from the OpenHAB Linux install instructions. And that would also solve your missing repo problem, obviously.

If using Zulu Java, beware that the repos are not being maintained and are behind (see reference for manual instructions).

I used OpenJDK 8 for java with sudo apt install openjdk-8-jdk-headless.

I'm using an Ethernet gateway (on a separate Raspberry Pi) though which is a twist on all of this.

--Allen

• Updated to OpenHAB 2.5 with step-by-step instructions
    switched to Zulu Java

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics