Have the Controller search for sensors

• Is there a way to enable the controller to be the one that searches for the sensors?

This would allow for the sensor to be smaller by having the large antenna be placed on the controller.

I am not sure if I can follow you.

Is there a way to enable the controller to be the one that searches for the sensors?

Why would you want to do that, sensors will have to report eventually their values to the gateway/controller, so I see no problem having them register with the gateway/controller.

This would allow for the sensor to be smaller by having the large antenna be placed on the controller.

A large antenna is most of the times a very directional antenna, is that what you mean?

• @daulagari I guess I should first build out my prototype then address this "concern." My setup will be a wireless sensor that will collect temperature and humidity. The goal is to have that sensor as small as possible. I plan on creating a few types that all have different size batteries. I from then will need to see which size gives me the most battery life for the most temperature readings. I from there will need to configure a controller to receive all that information. Here is my current idea:

1. DHT22 temperature/RH sensor
    2. The DHT22 sensor will be attached to a PCS New Pro Mini Atmega328 3.3V
    3. The sensor will then be attached to a NRF24L01+ 2.4GHz
    4. The controller that will receive the information will be a Raspberry Pi 2.0 Model B 512MB.
    5. On the controller I am uncertain as to the software that will be placed on the controller.

Do you think this configuration will provide me what Im looking for?
    Once I get this setup working i will test antennas on the configuration to test the length.

Hi @rdevine,

1, 2, 3 look fine to me.\

On:

1. The controller that will receive the information will be a Raspberry Pi 2.0 Model B 512MB.
    2. On the controller I am uncertain as to the software that will be placed on the controller.

There is some debat about terminology but I think most people on this forum agree that the controller is something like Vera, OpenHAB, DomotiGa, PiDome etc. For the whole list (answer to #5), see all entries under Select Controller. Many of these controllers can run on your Raspberry.

Between the controller and the sensors is the gateway, see under Select Gateway. Before you ask why the Raspberry can not be a gateway, see Port of MySensors Library 1.4 to Raspberry or do a search for Raspberry but for sure a Arduino gateway will be the simplest.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics