Breaduino (Atmega328p) as Mysensors Node (NRF24L01+) - will it work?

• Hi everyone,
    nearly two years I build small nodes for my Domoticz system with my sensors. It is AWESOME!
    I need to build few nodes, which will be really very little power hungry running on 3 AA batteries. I first tried to use the Pro MINI Arduino, but whenever I cut the LEDs on th board, the Arduino died.

So I decided to build a really minimalistic Arduino only using the Atmega328P chip, 16hz crystal, capacitors and restores as described here: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Standalone (just removed the pin 13 led as I need pin 13 for radio). I power it with 3.3V now on the breadboard.

I was able to run such "breaduino" with all basic scripts like blink etc., but as soon as I load any MySensors sketch, it basically does nothing.
    I do not doubt it is my mistake, but I can not figure out, what is wrong.

Does anyone has such minimalistic device running? Is there any specific code which needs to be changed? I am on 2.2.0 version of the library.

I will appreciate any experience or hint.
    Thanks for your answers.

• @petr-nosek said in Breaduino (Atmega328p) as Mysensors Node (NRF24L01+) - will it work?:

Atmega328P
    It must work on breadboard.
    And you cannot damage Arduino Pro Mini by removing LED only.

16MHz and 3.3 V is out of specification.
    Therefore Arduino for 3.3v uses 8MHz.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Pro-Mini-ATMEGA328P-5V-16M-3-3V-8M-Optional-Arduino-PRO-mini-Compatible/322733156356?hash=item4b24652804Ⓜmu7vfkUp6EGgxFbtG1p2IDQ

• Thanks Kimot. I did use 3,3V voltage as the radio NRF24L01+ is supposed to run on 3,3V only. I did not realise that it affect the crystal frequency. When I now tested with 5V it works perfectly! I will purchase an 8Mhz crystal instead and try it all on 3,3V with a step up booster 1,5 -3,3 to 3,3 V with AA batteries.

Regarding the "broken" pro mini - I must have broken something else too, as after removing the connection in front of the sms led it unfortunately stopped responding to communicate. So I must have destroyed more than just the LED.

Anyway, I am happy I was able to built my own "arduino node" with only the chip, crystal and few capacitors and resistors. It is great to see it working!

Thanks for your help.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics