Porting MySensors to work with the RadioHead library

• Admin

@kolaf

The driver refactoring has now been merged into development. Ready for RFM69! 😄

Working on it, fighting git about a rolled back rebase...

I managed to resolve my git problem, but I'm now back to a problem we have discussed before.

The problem is with how I should include the driver in order to use it without having to modify the header of every driver file. Can't seem to find what we landed on last time...

• Admin

You mean every sketch file?

Guess you'll have to do like we did with rf24 and add it to the utility folder. Or maybe I misunderstand the question.

I mean that I have to place the RadioHead library inside the main my sensors folder for everything to work. If I were to place it in the "utility" folder, I would have to change every include inside the library to use" instead of brackets.

Anyway, I have gotten it to compile, and there is some radio communication going on. Trouble is that there seems to be some issues with the buffer sizes (I guess?).

Here was what the sensor is sending:
    find parent
    send: 1-1-255-255 s=255,c=3,t=7,pt=0,l=0,st=bc:

And this is what the Gateway is receiving (with an additional debug message from me):
    0;0;3;0;9;read: 0-0-0 s=255,c=3,t=6,pt=1,l=1:0
    0;0;3;0;9;version: 0
    0;0;3;0;9;version mismatch

Obviously something is getting mangled along the way...

• Admin

Good that something is transmitted.

But should you really use RadioHead? That seems a bit redundant.

Felix over at LowPowerLab directed me to: https://github.com/LowPowerLab/RFM69/

I got something working with a new library. Requesting node ID, and sending all initialisation stuff seems to work correctly. I was not able to place the libraries in the correct place this time either, but perhaps you can move them and re-factor the code?

I created a pulled request so that you can look at it.

This is happening in the gateway with the new code:
    0;0;3;0;14;Gateway startup complete.
    0;0;3;0;9;read: 1-1-255 s=255,c=3,t=7,pt=0,l=0:
    0;0;3;0;9;send: 0-0-1-1 s=255,c=3,t=8,pt=1,l=1,st=ok:0
    0;0;3;0;9;read: 0-1-1 s=255,c=3,t=8,pt=1,l=1:0
    0;0;3;0;9;send: 0-0-0-1 s=255,c=3,t=8,pt=1,l=1,st=fail:0
    0;0;3;0;9;read: 1-1-0 s=255,c=3,t=6,pt=1,l=1:0
    1;255;3;0;6;0
    0;0;3;0;9;read: 1-1-0 s=255,c=3,t=11,pt=0,l=13:Wave switch 3
    1;255;3;0;11;Wave switch 3
    0;0;3;0;9;read: 1-1-0 s=255,c=3,t=12,pt=0,l=3:1.1
    1;255;3;0;12;1.1
    0;0;3;0;9;read: 1-1-0 s=1,c=0,t=3,pt=0,l=3:1.4
    1;1;0;0;3;1.4
    0;0;3;0;9;read: 1-1-0 s=3,c=0,t=6,pt=0,l=3:1.4
    1;3;0;0;6;1.4
    0;0;3;0;9;read: 1-1-0 s=2,c=2,t=2,pt=0,l=3:1.4
    1;2;2;0;2;1.4
    0;0;3;0;9;read: 1-1-0 s=1,c=1,t=2,pt=2,l=2:0
    1;1;1;0;2;0
    0;0;3;0;9;read: 1-1-0 s=3,c=1,t=0,pt=7,l=5:23.2
    1;3;1;0;0;23.2
    0;0;3;0;9;read: 1-1-0 s=3,c=1,t=0,pt=7,l=5:23.3
    1;3;1;0;0;23.3

• Admin

Great @kolaf. I'll take a look.

• Admin

Ok merged! Seems to compile fine with the library in utility after some minimal changes. Thanks @kolaf.

Excellent. I took a quick look at the changes you did to move the library, I'm a bit ashamed that I didn't manage to do that myself...

I'm very happy to have a solution in the development branch that allows the radios I bought to be brought along into the future of MySensors 🙂

• Since I have four moteino , I wanted to test your code. Unfortunately, I have made ​​a mistake , because the compiler return this error :

In file included from My_Sensor.ino:2:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\MySensors/MySensor.h:32:1: warning: "debug" redefined
    In file included from C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\MySensors/MySensor.h:16,
    from My_Sensor.ino:2:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\MySensors/MyDriver.h:9:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
    In file included from C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\MySensors/MyConfig.h:27,
    from C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\MySensors/MySensor.h:17,
    from My_Sensor.ino:2:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\MySensors/MyDriverRF69.h:40: error: ISO C++ forbids initialization of member 'radio'
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\MySensors/MyDriverRF69.h:40: error: making 'radio' static
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\MySensors/MyDriverRF69.h:40: error: invalid in-class initialization of static data member of non-integral type 'RFM69*'

• Admin

@bbbio24

IDE version?

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• Hi I now have my first MySensor RFM69 node up and running in PiDome 🙂 👍 This is great as with the NFR24L01 I battle to get coverage in my House. I put the RFm69 node in the farthest point in my house any it just work. To get the NFR24L01+ to work at the same location I have to use an repeater node. The other thing I like about the RFM69 solution like Moteino (https://lowpowerlab.com) or Anarduino (http://www.anarduino.com/miniwireless) is the size you don't have to use any wires to connected the radio and it comes fitted to the arduino board. So if you look for a small sensor I think that this is the way to go for automation.

• Contest Winner

@Francois Cool! Is this compatible with RF24, as in, you can have RF24 based GW and other sensors, and "plug in" a RFM69 unit? With its better RF properties it sounds like an excellent candidate for use as repeater node as well.
    Or is it required to set up a separate GW?

• Admin

You cannot mix radios in one network.

• Contest Winner

@hek ok, så it is a different carrier frequency, or modulation, and not protocol-compatible on the "physical" layer? Pity.

• @hek IDE Version : 1.0.5 r2
    I tried with version 1.0.6 without success.

• Code Contributor

@kolaf
    I've been busy with other stuff for some time but looking at the driver separation now once again. With nRF24 working (even bootloader adjusted to pick the right header files etc.) and two Moteinos at hand (Moteino RFM69W 868/915), I compiled and flashed a serial gateway and a simple temperature sensor node. Both appear to work fine looking at the debug messages except the fact that they don't listen to eachother. Both are sending but none is receiving anything (2m distance).
    I did not touch or even closely look at the RFM69 driver code yet but will try to do so over the weekend. Do you have any hint where to check first?

• Code Contributor

I have the RFM69 setup working now with a couple of additional tweaks mainly for code optimization. Working fine for some time but stops after a few hours - I'll have a closer look the next couple of days.
    Felix added three bytes to the payload (source address / destination address / control byte) to manage the acknowledge etc. in the lowpowerlab library. For our specific needs this is redundant as the current message format in development already includes this data. The three additional bytes are not that bad though and I'd propose to leave it like that for now and reconsider when we get to the revised message format :).

• Admin

• Code Contributor

RFM69 is stable now for >48h.
    The OTA bootloader version for RFM69 is in progress. I'm stuck right now where the node debug messages show that it's sending a packet but the gateway doesn't receive anything... I moved the full initialization code back in that I thought would be ok to skip but still the same behavior. Only difference to the full blown driver at this point is that I don't attach the interrupt but that should not be relevant for tx as I'm polling the interrupt register for status (ready to send / send complete etc.).

• Code Contributor

I had some time today to look at the bootloader code for RFM69 modules. Got the bootloader code to a point where it appears to be working fine - but the instability of the full MySensors RFM69 code is back - the serial gateway stops receiving packets after some time and it appears that the attempt to download a firmware by the bootloader just makes this problem more obvious due to the high volume of packets...
    My prime suspect at the moment is the interrupt driven RFM69 library using a single packet buffer. As long is it's used sequentially everything should be fine but with e.g. submission or retrieval of ack messages it opens up the transceiver while the last packet was not fully processed yet potentially causing this... I'll go ahead and replace the routines in the library with the non-interrupt-driven version I coded for the bootloader just to see if this is the right place to dig deeper...

• @bbbio24 Hi
    I am running into the same " ISO C++ forbids initialization of member 'radio'" error. Did you manage to solve this issue? am using IDE version 1.0.6. What version should I use?

Update: I managed to get past this error.
    By the way I am woring with the latest develpment branch that I downloaded from here https://github.com/mysensors/Arduino/archive/development.zip.
    To get past this problem I changed in MyDriverRF69.h the lne 40 to
    RFM69 *radio;// = NULL;
    This resolved the problem in the arduino IDE 1.0.6. Admittedly I am very new to this whole thing and am not sure what I potentially broe by changing the line bt at least I can explore further. 😉

• I used the Mysensors 1.4.1 library and managed to get a UNO with Ethernet shield and NRF24L01+PA+LNA working as an MQTT gateway.
    I then changed the library to the latest development library (downloaded on 01.12.2014) and uploaded the MQTT gateway setch to the same hardware -> Also worked fine.
    I then changed MyConfig.h to use the RF69 radio instead of NRF24 and just tried to compile. I got a lot of errors:
    MQTT_Gateway_Compile_errors.txt

I am using Arduino IDE 1.5.8

I am happy to help with testing, but I am afraid my programming skills are not good enough to assist with that.

• @ToSa do you see the RFM69 only work on the serial gateway or will it also work on the MQTT gateway?

@TOSA I just popped back into the forum to report on my experiences with instabilities using the current version of the RFM69 code only to find that you have already had the same experience. This makes me quite happy since it means that at least someone else have had a chance to think a bit about it. On a side note, I really wish this forum had some functionality to subscribe to topics, it is not a forum I visit regularly enough to catch everything that's happening.

I do not have any good information regarding why the microcontrollers stop responding, but I see it quite regularly in both the Gateway and in the sensors. For instance, I have a power measuring sensor that counts the blinks on my power meter and toggles a LED each time the power meter blinks. I have to reset this about every two days (sometimes more often) when I see that the LED no longer blinks. All my current sensors are running the first version of the code based on your rewritten radio obstructions.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help out with debugging this. The instability is starting to get quite frustrating, and I was actually considering to go back to my earlier prototype implementation based on the radiohead library. I did not experience any such instabilities using this library, so at least we know it is not a hardware problem. As such it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out. Maybe it is possible to discuss this with the lowpowerlabs guy who developed the library?

Unfortunately my experience with debugging microcontrollers is limited, but I will help out where I can.

• @ToSa I am running this version and I don't have any problems with it so far. I only have one node up and running with a humility sensor. I order 5 more Anarduino units and hope to get them in Jan so will do more testing then. The humility node is up and running now for more than 3 weeks with out any resets.

@ToSa How did you make the RF69 stable?

• @CARSTEN I got the same compile errors. It turns out Arduino IDE 1.5.7 and above have a new compiler which requires PROGMEM data to be const.
    See this discussion: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=277173.0

I was able to resolve the compile errors by adding const where flagged by the compiler:
    In MyMQTT.h:
    . . . .
    const char V_0[] PROGMEM = "TEMP"; //V_TEMP
    etc . ..

Then:
    const char * const vType[] PROGMEM = {
    V_0, V_1, . . . .

You also need to change the getType function in MQTTGateway.ino to account for the change in type of vType[]
    char *getType(char *b, const char * const *index) { . . . .

Compiled with no errors for RFM69 on Arduino 1.5.8 after these changes.
    I have not had a chance to upload and test on my Motineo's.

• Hi all,

Happy new year
    I've just have the same idea, I'm new to arduino since chrismas 🙂
    and I want to test mysensor with nrf905, It seem to be compatible with RH librairies.

Could you just say me what i have to do ?
    I'll have to include the kolaf librairies ?

Just, If you have a link to the repository in order to work on it with you

Thanks for all

• So, I'm working on it with the developpement branch of mysensor.

I've find some nrf905 librairies arround the web, but the RadioHead seem to be more powerfull and complete.
    I'll give you news soon,

First of all, i probably need help to diagnose because i've had only one raspberry, one arduino and two atmega328p chipset more

• Did anyone ever solve the this compile error?

In file included from /home/andrew/sketchbook/libraries/MySensors/MyConfig.h:27,
    from /home/andrew/sketchbook/libraries/MySensors/MySensor.h:17,
    from SerialGateway.ino:27:
    /home/andrew/sketchbook/libraries/MySensors/MyDriverRF69.h:40: error: ISO C++ forbids initialization of member ‘radio’
    /home/andrew/sketchbook/libraries/MySensors/MyDriverRF69.h:40: error: making ‘radio’ static
    /home/andrew/sketchbook/libraries/MySensors/MyDriverRF69.h:40: error: invalid in-class initialization of static data member of non-integral type ‘RFM69*’

I have tried with IDEs 1.04, 1.05 and 1.06

• @andrewm844
    Hi,
    I'm working on 905, so I don't have to check the 69, but I've the same compile error
    I just replace
    // RFM69 *radio = NULL;
    RFM69 *radio;
    in the MyDriverRF69.h file

• Hi everyone,
    i am new to MySensors. I already made sime Arduino pro mini running with a NRF24L01.
    But i also bought some Anarduino with the RF69 installed. Can anybody tell me how i can tell the library to use the RF69 instead of the NRF24L01?
    I used the Developement version of the MySensor library. I tried to find the point in MyConfig.h but i could only find the NRF24L01 Driver Defaults part.

Maybe someone could help me.

Thanks in advance.
    Benjamin

• I'm interested in the progress of getting RadioHead working with MySensor....

what the current status??

where is the current code for this effort?

Thanks

• Admin

@lafleur

In the development branch on github we have support for RF69. We have not incorporated the full RadioHead library.

• Is there support for the MoteinoMega? with the rfm69? can you point me to a code base to start with??

I have used the MoteinoMega in other project, so I know a bit on how they work

Thanks

• @ToSa do you have a sample project (serial Gateway or ?) that I could start from that uses the RF69W radio?? Want to develop with Moteino-Mega

thanks

• Admin

You only need to initiate the MySensor class with the rfm69 class like this in the gateway (and sensors):

https://github.com/mysensors/Arduino/blob/development/libraries/MySensors/examples/SerialGateway/SerialGateway.ino#L44

MyTransportRF69 radio;  

• I had done that, getting error...

Some questions:

I notice that the MyTransportNRF24 had definition for the pins in the function, RM69, has none...
    I take it, its defaulted to the Moteino standards pinout?

The file MyHwATMega328.cpp is for the 328, i assume that I would need to make one for the ATmega1284P chip? if there are any changes needed.

Thanks I will work on these error, if you have any insight on cause, please let me know...

(sure wish the IDE was better.....)

Arduino: 1.6.1 (Mac OS X), Board: "MoteinoMEGA"

SerialGateway.ino:56:26: error: no matching function for call to 'MySensor::MySensor(MyTransportRF69 (&)(), MySigningNone&)'
    SerialGateway.ino:56:26: note: candidates are:
    In file included from SerialGateway.ino:34:0:
    /Users/lafleur/Desktop/MySensor-Arduino-development/libraries/MySensors/MySensor.h:78:2: note: MySensor::MySensor(MyTransport&, MyHw&, MySigning&)
    MySensor(MyTransport &radio =*new MyTransportNRF24(), MyHw &hw=*new MyHwDriver()
    ^
    /Users/lafleur/Desktop/MySensor-Arduino-development/libraries/MySensors/MySensor.h:78:2: note: no known conversion for argument 1 from 'MyTransportRF69()' to 'MyTransport&'
    /Users/lafleur/Desktop/MySensor-Arduino-development/libraries/MySensors/MySensor.h:69:7: note: MySensor::MySensor(const MySensor&)
    class MySensor
    ^
    /Users/lafleur/Desktop/MySensor-Arduino-development/libraries/MySensors/MySensor.h:69:7: note: candidate expects 1 argument, 2 provided
    Error compiling.

• Admin

@lafleur

Yeah, the work on the TransportRF69 need some polishing. It defaults to monteino pins right now. If you have the time add configuration to the driver, please help out.

I don't have any MonteinoMega so I really don't know how it differs regarding hw. Hopefully not too much.

• I get the same error's if I select the standard Moteino and the RF24 radio???

so, I must have a version skew or IDE issue...

I'm using the source code form the development branch....

Arduino: 1.6.1 (Mac OS X), Board: "Moteino"

SerialGateway.ino:57:26: error: no matching function for call to 'MySensor::MySensor(MyTransportNRF24&, MySigningNone&)'
    SerialGateway.ino:57:26: note: candidates are:
    In file included from SerialGateway.ino:34:0:
    /Users/lafleur/Desktop/MySensor-Arduino-development/libraries/MySensors/MySensor.h:78:2: note: MySensor::MySensor(MyTransport&, MyHw&, MySigning&)
    MySensor(MyTransport &radio =*new MyTransportNRF24(), MyHw &hw=*new MyHwDriver()
    ^
    /Users/lafleur/Desktop/MySensor-Arduino-development/libraries/MySensors/MySensor.h:78:2: note: no known conversion for argument 2 from 'MySigningNone' to 'MyHw&'
    /Users/lafleur/Desktop/MySensor-Arduino-development/libraries/MySensors/MySensor.h:69:7: note: MySensor::MySensor(const MySensor&)
    class MySensor
    ^
    /Users/lafleur/Desktop/MySensor-Arduino-development/libraries/MySensors/MySensor.h:69:7: note: candidate expects 1 argument, 2 provided
    Error compiling.

This report would have more information with
    "Show verbose output during compilation"
    enabled in File > Preferences.

• @lafleur:
    I got the same error, also 1.6.1 (Mac OSX) board Uno, and Nano. My solution was to remove the signing object in the initialization:

// Construct MySensors library
    MySensor gw(radio);

Then it compiles without issues. I have other issues though, but they might be related to the radios.

• removing the Construct object, will cause other error, as the gw is not defined at this point...

SerialGateway.ino: In function 'void setup()':
    SerialGateway.ino:67:3: error: 'gw' was not declared in this scope
    SerialGateway.ino: In function 'void loop()':
    SerialGateway.ino:85:3: error: 'gw' was not declared in this scope

I'm new to Arduino and this IDE, so it painful trying to work my way into this code...

Hi guys,

I lost some of my inspiration when I couldn't get the RF69 implementation to be stable for more than a few days and TOSA said he could before he disappeared without telling me how :-(. However, Easter is upon us and I thought I would give it another try.

I updated to the latest version of the development branch, and things seem to have changed a bit since I was here last time. Is there anything that needs to be updated on the RF69 side? At the very least it seems to be missing a definition for IS_RF69HW, as well as probably some useful defaults.

I also note that there now is an include for a specific radio in the serial Gateway example. This is different from the way it was earlier where the radio type was defined in MyConfig. Wasn't this a better solution?

Anyway, is it sufficient simply to change the included radio and then expect the serial Gateway code to work correctly on a moteino?

• Admin

@kolaf

The defines in MyConfig started to become a big mess. Especially if we would want to have a Moteino variant of the gateways downloadable using codebender.

Ok, just updated gateway classes to include the available options like this:

// NRFRF24L01 radio driver (set low transmit power by default) 
    MyTransportNRF24 transport(RF24_CE_PIN, RF24_CS_PIN, RF24_PA_LEVEL_GW);  
    //MyTransportRF69 transport;

// Message signing driver (signer needed if MY_SIGNING_FEATURE is turned on in MyConfig.h)
    //MySigningNone signer;
    //MySigningAtsha204Soft signer;
    //MySigningAtsha204 signer;

// Hardware profile 
    MyHwATMega328 hw;

// Construct MySensors library (signer needed if MY_SIGNING_FEATURE is turned on in MyConfig.h)
    MySensor gw(transport, hw /*, signer*/);

So you should only have to enable the one you want to use. Do the same in the sensor/actuator sketch (haven't updated all of them yet).

• .. and hardware distance test? rfm69hw have +20dB .. pls make test in building .. or make compare test with nRF24L01+ ..
    we waiting for this ..
    best regards..

• Admin

@dzairo said:

we waiting for this

I'm waiting also. Please do the test @dzairo!

• sorry .. is possible make test with this module if you have it ?
    I can compare only nrf24l01+ with cc1101 868mhz ..
    in free area is possible with standard nrf24l01+ with good antenna from wifi get 200m .. pcb antenna give less then 30m . rfm69hw is good because is possible set lowe transfer speed less then in nrf24l01+ ..
    if make test with CC1101 868mhz version with +14dB output power then no problem get distance in my house 3 floor ..

best regards

• @lafleur:
    I only removed the "signer" out of the initialization and changed the line to the code above. I did not comment the whole line.

@kolaf:
    To make the library work for the RFM69HW for me, I needed to change the radio pointer to an object amongst other things.., which combination did eventually do the trick, I do not know for sure.
    I will summarize the changes I did to get connection between two nodes using the RFM69HWs.

The problem I had was that the radio would not start up for me. It was stuck at the RFM69.cpp initialization at:

do writeReg(REG_SYNCVALUE1, 0xAA); while (readReg(REG_SYNCVALUE1) != 0xAA);
    do writeReg(REG_SYNCVALUE1, 0x55); while (readReg(REG_SYNCVALUE1) != 0x55);

So the changes I did were:

In MyTransportRF69.h:

@@ -37,7 +37,7 @@ public:
            uint8_t receive(void* data);
            void powerDown();
     private:
    -       RFM69 *radio;
    +       RFM69 radio;
            uint8_t _address;
     };

and in MyTransportRF69.cpp:

MyTransportRF69::MyTransportRF69()
            :
            MyTransport(),
    -       radio()
    +       radio(10,2,true,0)  //I set the Pins manually (SPI SS 10, InterruptPin 2, IsHW = true, and InternalInterrupt 0)
     {
     }
     void MyTransportRF69::init() {
            // Start up the radio library
    -    radio->initialize(FREQUENCY,_address,NETWORKID);
    +    radio.initialize(FREQUENCY,2,NETWORKID); //I changed the node_ids manually for each node, see below for comment
    +    radio.rcCalibration();
    +    Serial.println("Radio init done");
     #ifdef IS_RFM69HW
    -    radio->setHighPower(); //uncomment only for RFM69HW!
    +    radio.setHighPower(); //uncomment only for RFM69HW!
     #endif
    -    // radio->encrypt(ENCRYPTKEY);
    +    radio.setPowerLevel(20); //I decreased the powerlevel a bit, since I had some troubles transmitting between two nodes on my desk before when using the full power.

of course change all the following "radio->" to "radio." with string replace.

Also I realized that the NODEID is not set properly using the _address argument, I had a serial println there and it always returned "0 (zero)", which should not be correct. So I set them manually for each node.
    I also copied the latest version of Felix LowPowerRFM library into utils from here:
    https://github.com/LowPowerLab/RFM69
    (I do not know if they differ much, the diff is not very conclusive due to different formatting)

I am using an Arduino Buono UNO clone set with a switch to run at 3.3V with the RFM69HW connected via breadboard. With the changes above, all was compiled and started up.

But I had a major problem with the Dev branch that in general that no ACKs at all were send or at least received, even when using the NRF2401+. So that is why I did not continue with the RFM69HW at the moment. The master branch on the very same setup (using the standard radio) did work without any troubles.

I managed to get connection between the nodes (e.g. in the serial output of the gateway the request for parent was received, but all messages had a "failed" status). I last checked the dev-branch last week.
    I am away over Easter, but am willing to try a bit more afterwards, if I get the Dev branch running in general with ACKs...

I got inspired by this project:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Uber-Home-Automation-w-Arduino-Pi/?ALLSTEPS
    There is also a forum here:
    http://homeautomation.proboards.com/board/2/openhab-rfm69-based-arduino
    but eventually I turned here, since mysensors seems to have more active support and a already a bigger community and codebase. However there they have a RFM69 gateway running with nodes. So it might be worth to check it out how they did it (that is also how I got the RFM69 running in the first place).

Sorry for the long post..

Cheers!

• Admin

@daenny

Thanks for the analysis. The RFM69 code really need a loving hand after being almost untouched for months since ToSa disappeared. There shouldn't be any changes done to the LowPowerLab code (but it hasn't been updated either).

The question is if hardware acks i coming in but is just picked up wrongly from LowPowerLab-library?

I should really setup a test rig with those radios... But my time is limited.. If you're interested in helping out finding the root cause for the RFM69 ack-problems I would be super grateful.

The ack-problems you're seeing on NRF24L01 will investigate by me.

@daenny I've started playing with it now, and the first fix for your pointer problem is to initialise the radio pointer correctly which is not done in the current implementation. I simply added the following line to the beginning of init:

radio=new RFM69();

No further changes were then necessary to the pointers.

I have two devices talking to each other, but I'm a bit rusty, so can't immediately see what's happening from the output. This is the sensor side:

req id
    send: 3-3-0-0 s=255,c=3,t=3,pt=0,l=0,sg=0,st=fail:
    send: 3-3-0-0 s=255,c=0,t=17,pt=0,l=5,sg=0,st=fail:1.4.1
    send: 3-3-0-0 s=255,c=3,t=6,pt=1,l=1,sg=0,st=fail:0
    sensor started, id=3, parent=0, distance=1
    send: 3-3-0-0 s=255,c=3,t=11,pt=0,l=12,sg=0,st=fail:Power sensor
    send: 3-3-0-0 s=255,c=3,t=12,pt=0,l=3,sg=0,st=fail:1.0
    send: 3-3-0-0 s=1,c=0,t=13,pt=0,l=5,sg=0,st=fail:1.4.1
    send: 3-3-0-0 s=2,c=0,t=6,pt=0,l=5,sg=0,st=fail:1.4.1
    find parent
    send: 3-3-255-255 s=255,c=3,t=7,pt=0,l=0,sg=0,st=bc:

And this is the gateway side:

0;0;3;0;9;gateway started, id=255, parent=0, distance=1
    0;0;3;0;14;Gateway startup complete.
    0;0;3;0;9;read: 3-3-255 s=255,c=3,t=7,pt=0,l=0,sg=0:
    3;255;3;0;7;
    3;255;3;0;7;
    3;255;3;0;7;

Can anyone tell me what is happening here? I'm using a sensor I configured a long time ago, so it is already received its ID from the gateway previously.

Okay, I have done some digging.

The gist of my last post was that it received no response for any of the messages sent directly to the Gateway, they never even arrived at the gateway. The only message that arrived was the broadcast message.

The first hints for me was the initialisation string from the gateway. It indicates that it is initialised with the address 255. This is a bit weird, since the Gateway source code provides a value of 0 to gw.begin(). Looking into the source for this it turns out that the value provided here is never stored in the node configuration, and thus is never used as the address for the node. I made some changes to store the address in the node configuration, and suddenly the Gateway started to respond to the messages from the sensor.

As for the acknowledgements, it turns out that ACKRequested never seems to return true even if we use sendWithRetries. If we assume this to be true and transmit acknowledgements regardless (which is correct since we always use send with retries) the status of all the send messages from the sensor revert to "ok".

I guess that this fixed to the acknowledgements issue is good enough for now, but I am definitely not sure about the issues with the Gateway node id. Any thoughts on this would be very welcome.

diff --git a/libraries/MySensors/MySensor.cpp b/libraries/MySensors/MySensor.cpp
    index 91644e0..d5badb3 100755
    --- a/libraries/MySensors/MySensor.cpp
    +++ b/libraries/MySensors/MySensor.cpp
    @@ -142,6 +142,13 @@ void MySensor::begin(void (*_msgCallback)(const MyMessage &), uint8_t _nodeId, b
     			// Try to fetch node-id from gateway
     			requestNodeId();
     		}
    +	} else {
    +				if (_nodeId != AUTO) {
    +			// Set static id
    +			nc.nodeId = _nodeId;
    +			// Save static id in eeprom
    +			hw_writeConfig(EEPROM_NODE_ID_ADDRESS, _nodeId);
    +			}
     	}

setupNode();
    diff --git a/libraries/MySensors/MyTransportRF69.cpp b/libraries/MySensors/MyTransportRF69.cpp
    index b55ce14..3874773 100644
    --- a/libraries/MySensors/MyTransportRF69.cpp
    +++ b/libraries/MySensors/MyTransportRF69.cpp
    @@ -29,7 +29,7 @@ uint8_t MyTransportRF69::getAddress() {

bool MyTransportRF69::send(uint8_t to, const void* data, uint8_t len) {
     	// Make sure radio has powered up
    -	return radio->sendWithRetry(to,data,len);
    +	return radio->sendWithRetry(to,data,len,5,200);
     }

bool MyTransportRF69::available(uint8_t *to) {
    @@ -45,9 +45,13 @@ uint8_t MyTransportRF69::receive(void* data) {
     		// data[i]= (void)radio->DATA[i];
     	// }
     	memcpy(data,(const void *)radio->DATA, radio->DATALEN);
    -	if (radio->ACKRequested())
    +	if (radio->ACKRequested() || 1)
         {
    +      Serial.println("Acknowledgement requested");
           radio->sendACK();
    +      Serial.println("Sent acknowledgement");
    +    } else {
    +    	Serial.println("Not wanting acknowledgement");
         }
     	return radio->DATALEN;
     }

• Admin

@kolaf

Thanks! I will have a look at the id=0 problem tonight.

• @kolaf
    Nice work, I am new completely new to the MySensors code, so I could not dig into it deep enough to see how everything is build up.
    I completely overlooked that the pointer is not initialized properly, but your fix is definitively easier :).

@hek
    My guess is that the problem with the ACKs and Gateway ID could be the same for the nrf radio, which might explain the troubles I had with the dev branch?

@hek
    Great. In the meantime I'm doing some stability testing of the current code base.

• Admin

• Admin

Ok, tried to clean up some of the mess in RFM69 (and gw node id).

I have a hard time to do any verification tonight here (the family sleeping too near the "lab room"). Would be great to get some feedback if you have your gears setup and ready for tests.

• @hek
    Thank you for taking a look at the RFM69 code. I downloaded the development branch. While I was able to get it to compile, it does not seem to work, but Im note sure if it is something I am doing.
    Background:
    I had the RFM69 radio working with code from the development branch I downloaded in early Jan. I have a few sensors that and a serial gateway using the Jan code.

After downloading the latest development branch I tried to update my serial gateway, assuming it would still be able to read the sensors with the older code.

Observations:
    Currently I cannot see any of the older nodes that I have. I have not tried to update any of the nodes yet, so I don't know if my problem is with the current code or not.
    Currently there is not a myconfig.h option to set the RFM69HW option

I have been stumbing around the code trying to get a feel for it, and I am not and expert but am wondering if Line 137 of Mysensor.h has anything to do with the problem?

Should there be something that would define MyTransportRFM69 instead?

Thoughts?

Would love to get this working and ultimately figure out the MQTT server options.

Thanks!

• Admin

Yes, it differs a bit. You can now initialise the transport using RFM69 like this (see constructor default values in https://github.com/mysensors/Arduino/blob/development/libraries/MySensors/MyTransportRFM69.h.
    5:th argument is the one you're looking for. I Might add a default for this in MyConfig as well if this is something people change often.

#include <MyTransportRFM69.h>
    #include <MySensor.h>

MyTransportRFM69 transport(freqBand, networkId,  slaveSelectPin, interruptPin, isRFM69HW, interruptNum);

MySensors gw(transport);

@hek I updated with your latest changes and refreshed my node and gateway (which I am happy to report has run stable since yesterday). Things seem to work out of the box now which is good. There is a small issue, I think, where you could use the GATEWAY_ADDRESS a few more places for consistency, but apart from that I'm quite happy :-).

diff --git a/libraries/MySensors/MySensor.cpp b/libraries/MySensors/MySensor.cpp
    index 70d3680..4a87e33 100755
    --- a/libraries/MySensors/MySensor.cpp
    +++ b/libraries/MySensors/MySensor.cpp
    @@ -101,9 +101,9 @@ void MySensor::begin(void (*_msgCallback)(const MyMessage &), uint8_t _nodeId, b

if (isGateway) {
     		// Set configuration for gateway
    -		nc.parentNodeId = 0;
    +		nc.parentNodeId = GATEWAY_ADDRESS;
     		nc.distance = 0;
    -		nc.nodeId = 0;
    +		nc.nodeId = GATEWAY_ADDRESS;
     	} else {
     		// Read settings from eeprom
     		hw_readConfigBlock((void*)&nc, (void*)EEPROM_NODE_ID_ADDRESS, sizeof(NodeConfig));

• Admin

@kolaf
    Sound good.

• @kolaf and @hek
    Thanks for the great work. I will try to setup a test node and gateway by tomorrow and let it run over the Easter weekend. Hopefully it still runs when I am back 🙂

@hek I tried setting up a second sensor (temperature and power supply voltage) with the updated library. I wiped eeprom, uploaded the sketch, and fired it up.

It requested a node ID from the gateway, which it received, and everything seemed to go smoothly until it had transmitted the first data point. After that it immediately enters a request for a new node ID, which it receives, and things go in an endless loop. Here is the log:

find parent
    send: 255-255-255-255 s=255,c=3,t=7,pt=0,l=0,sg=0,st=bc:
    read: 0-0-255 s=255,c=3,t=8,pt=1,l=1,sg=0:0
    parent=0, d=1
    req id
    send: 255-255-0-0 s=255,c=3,t=3,pt=0,l=0,sg=0,st=ok:
    read: 0-0-255 s=255,c=3,t=4,pt=0,l=1,sg=0:1
    send: 1-1-0-0 s=255,c=0,t=17,pt=0,l=5,sg=0,st=ok:1.4.1
    send: 1-1-0-0 s=255,c=3,t=6,pt=1,l=1,sg=0,st=ok:0
    id=1
    sensor started, id=1, parent=0, distance=1
    send: 1-1-0-0 s=255,c=3,t=11,pt=0,l=20,sg=0,st=ok:Temperature basement
    send: 1-1-0-0 s=255,c=3,t=12,pt=0,l=3,sg=0,st=ok:1.0
    send: 1-1-0-0 s=1,c=0,t=6,pt=0,l=5,sg=0,st=ok:1.4.1
    send: 1-1-0-0 s=2,c=0,t=13,pt=0,l=5,sg=0,st=ok:1.4.1
    1023send: 1-1-0-0 s=2,c=1,t=38,pt=7,l=5,sg=0,st=ok:5.4
    send: 1-1-0-0 s=255,c=3,t=0,pt=1,l=1,sg=0,st=ok:102
    send: 1-1-0-0 s=1,c=1,t=0,pt=7,l=5,sg=0,st=ok:20.6
    req id
    send: 1-1-0-0 s=255,c=3,t=3,pt=0,l=0,sg=0,st=ok:
    read: 0-0-1 s=255,c=3,t=4,pt=0,l=1,sg=0:3
    955send: 1-1-0-0 s=2,c=1,t=38,pt=7,l=5,sg=0,st=ok:5.0
    send: 1-1-0-0 s=255,c=3,t=0,pt=1,l=1,sg=0,st=ok:95
    send: 1-1-0-0 s=1,c=1,t=0,pt=7,l=5,sg=0,st=ok:20.7
    req id
    send: 1-1-0-0 s=255,c=3,t=3,pt=0,l=0,sg=0,st=ok:
    read: 0-0-1 s=255,c=3,t=4,pt=0,l=1,sg=0:3
    956send: 1-1-0-0 s=2,c=1,t=38,pt=7,l=5,sg=0,st=ok:5.0
    send: 1-1-0-0 s=255,c=3,t=0,pt=1,l=1,sg=0,st=ok:95
    send: 1-1-0-0 s=1,c=1,t=0,pt=7,l=5,sg=0,st=ok:20.7

As far as I can see this should be caused by the node ID still being AUTO, but this shouldn't be the case since it appears to be correctly stored in ROM?

Please disregard my previous "analysis"/guess. It turns out that the repeating behaviour that was caused by a program crash. The trigger for this crash is MyHwATMega328::sleep(ms) . I'm running a RFM69HW radio on a anarduino board, which should be using the ATMega 328 chip, same as the moteino.

By replacing the call to this function in MySensor::sleep(unsigned long ms) with a simple delay(ms), the crashes no longer occur.

My current guess is that the watchdog timer resets the chip after the time period instead of throwing an interrupt to wake the system...?

I narrowed it down even further. It appears that there is no appropriate interrupt and present to handle when the watchdog fires. I have no idea why this is the case, and I do not know if this fix is correct, but by a placing this code somewhere in MySensors.cpp everything works nicely:

ISR( WDT_vect ) {
        /* dummy */
    }

• Admin

@kolaf

Ok, strange. Would be nice to know why this fixes the problem,

It should probably be placed here if it's atmega328 related (and only need to be called once):
    https://github.com/mysensors/Arduino/blob/development/libraries/MySensors/MyHwATMega328.h#L22

@hek
    As far as I know the function is the interrupt routine that is called by the watchdog when the time expires. I guess it doesn't matter where it is defined so it should be fine to move it. It is not called explicitly anywhere in the code, but by the watchdog. As such, I don't think it should be defined as is done in the header file for the other functions.

My question is why is it not working for me without this code, I assume it has been working for everyone else?

• Admin

Ah.. doh..

Moved parts of the low-power library into MyHwATMega328 and forgot the ISR-thingie.

https://github.com/mysensors/Arduino/blob/master/libraries/MySensors/utility/LowPower.cpp#L850

Good catch.

Glad I could help :-). I guess my prize will be that you patch this so that I do not have to create a pull request 😉

I might as well continue while I'm at it 🙂

Another weird issue I'm having is that every node requests a new ID whenever it starts, but it does not switch to the new ID it receives. It just continues with the old ID it already had.

When I wipe the ROM it requests a new ID as expected, and this time it is saved and used for subsequent communication. Why is it requesting a new ID when it boots, when it already has one?

• Admin

@kolaf

Should not happen. Will look at it later tonight.

• Admin

Ok, finally got the thumbs out and actually tested the RFM69 code using a couple of Moteinos. They seem to communicate just fine. 🙂

Tested with SerialGateway<->RelayActuator-Example.

• I can also report success and things look pretty good. Had to change the line:

//MyTransportRFM69 transport;
    MyTransportRFM69 transport(RFM69_FREQUENCY, RFM69_NETWORKID, RF69_SPI_CS, RF69_IRQ_PIN, true, RF69_IRQ_NUM);

So that the rfm69HW could be supported.

Now, on to see if I can get the MQTT working.

@reddy11 I had to do the same, although I did the change in the default parameters for the function definition since all my radios are HW :-).

I'm not using the MQTT gateway, I'm using the serial gateway together with a Perl script someone here made which functions as a MQTT gateway, and which I modified to handle node ID assignments.

@hek You didn't see any extra node ID requests when the sensor booted?

• Admin

@kolaf are you using the OTA bootloader?

@tekka said:

@kolaf are you using the OTA bootloader?

No, I haven't figured out that part yet. I'm not even sure if I have available flash memory for this, nor if this is expected to work with the rf69 radios.

• Admin

@kolaf ok, i was asking because there is an issue wIth the ID assignment and the OTA bl in the dev branch resulting in the scenario you described.

• Thanks everybody for the nice work! My initial tests also work out of the box with a serial gateway and humidity node. I will let it run over the weekend to see if there are any issues coming up.

• I have serial gateway running on a MoteinoMega and a node running on a Moteino with RFM69HW radios... Using the 2April2015 build of the development arm... with the addition of the :

//MyTransportRFM69 transport;
    MyTransportRFM69 transport(RFM69_FREQUENCY, RFM69_NETWORKID, RF69_SPI_CS, RF69_IRQ_PIN, true, RF69_IRQ_NUM);

and the correct pin-out for the radios and LED for these boards...

I needed to mod the MsTimer2.cpp file to add 'AVR_ATmega1284P ' to each of the #ifdef line to support the Mega

As I do not yet have a controller running, I see the gateway output as below when the node TX's:

0;0;3;0;9;read: 255-255-0 s=255,c=3,t=3,pt=0,l=0,sg=0:255;255;3;0;3;

• I need a simple controller that can plot data that can be viewed on a web server... Mac/Pi or ??
    want hr/day/week/mo/yr plots..

what do you recommend??

• @kolaf I gave up on getting the MQTT gateway working. I just dont think there is enough memory in my moteino to use the rf69 and the uipethernet library. I was able to get it to work, but it would crash after a few min. When I updated to the latest UIPEthernet library for the 1.5 series, It was too large to upload. So....anyway...can you elaborate on, or point me to the serial-mqtt script you were referring to?
    Thanks!

@reddy11 Sure, you can find it here: https://github.com/Yveaux/MySensors_MQTTGateway

You will want to use version 2 of the script.

It does simple note ID assignments by keeping a list of all ids it has seen and choosing the first ID not in this list when receiving an ID request.

There are some dependencies, but you will notice that as you start the script 🙂

• Hi,

i've tried to scroll back many of the pages of this thread, to find out how to use the Radiohead version of mysensors but with no success, considering that i don"t understand many of those things said here ... 😞

Is there someone that can help me a little and give me a minimalist modop ? i've used Radiohead on its own with 3 moteinos but mooving to MySensors seem to be the best way to integrate them in a standard domotix architecture ... i currently use Jeedom for a year now.

Of course, you'll have my feedbacks ...

Nicolas

• Admin

Use the development branch (https://github.com/mysensors/Arduino/tree/development/libraries/MySensors)
    and enable MyTransportRFM69 transport layer in gateway and sensor.

Uncomment this line for gateway (and use the same setup for sensor):
    https://github.com/mysensors/Arduino/blob/development/libraries/MySensors/examples/SerialGateway/SerialGateway.ino#L63

• Hello Hek,

Thanks for your answer, I will try this as soon as I'll be back home.

When you say* "uncomment this line ..."* , do I have to comment the previous one (MyTransportNRF24 transport(RF24_CE_PIN, RF24_CS_PIN, RF24_PA_LEVEL_GW);) ?
    Furthermore, as described in your exemple, the line to be uncommented has no argument but in a previous post reddy11 has to add several ones:

Is it only due to the "H" version of the module ?

Again, thanks for your time. I really think Radiohead is a impressive library as well as MySensor si very smart , the both should be terrible !!!

Nicolas

• Admin

Yes, disable or remove the MyTransportNRF24 transport line.

If you write

MyTransportRFM69 transport;

It will use default constructor arguments defined here:
    https://github.com/mysensors/Arduino/blob/development/libraries/MySensors/MyTransportRFM69.h#L33
    and here:
    https://github.com/mysensors/Arduino/blob/development/libraries/MySensors/MyConfig.h#L129-L133

• Hello,

Well ... things are not going the way I expected. i have done a fresh install of Arduino 1.6.4 on my Windows PC, then Downloaded the zip from devellopment branch and extracted it in the Sketch directory.
    Then I have opened the .\libraries\MySensors\examples\SerialGateway\SerialGateway.cpp (wich also opens GatewayUtil.h).
    Then I compiled it :

• The first error was : "... \MyHwATMega328.cpp:22:22: fatal error: LowPower.h: No such file or directory" , I solved it by copying the requested files in the MySensor directory
    • The second error then was : " .... LowPower.h:4:6: error: multiple definition of 'enum period_t'", I solved it by deleting the corresponding def in LowPower.h

Other errors happened so I thought that there was probably another problem, in my install or something else.

I also tried with 1.0.5 but it failed too.

I don't want to spend much off all your time but as you hepled me, I'm must at least inform you of what happens with my experience .... of course if some of you have a luminous idea about what is going on with my install, I'm (very) interested.

Nicolas

Rq : I have tried to search some help in this thread and on google but I guess if a lot of little problems are coming up, it must be a global problem with my PC .

Bye

• Admin

LowPower library shouldn't be needed any more if you're using the latest code in development branch.

• @kolaf Do you run any of your node off batteries if you do what is you current consumption?

• Hi,

Just wanna say that I've finaly compiled the sketch, on another computer....
    I've tested it succesfully with SerialGateway and LightSensor.
    As I have a high power module, I had to change the transport declaration as mentionned before:
    MyTransportRFM69 transport(RFM69_FREQUENCY, RFM69_NETWORKID, RF69_SPI_CS, RF69_IRQ_PIN, true, RF69_IRQ_NUM)
    it works well for me but I had to change the RFM69 frequency in Myconfig.h, by uncommenting
    #define RFM69_FREQUENCY RF69_433MHZ
    and of course commenting
    //#define RFM69_FREQUENCY RF69_868MHZ

To use LightSensor , I changed some declarations in LighSensor.ino. Instead of simply have :
    MySensor gw;

I had to declarations before to use the RFM69 module :
    MyTransportRFM69 radio;
    MyHwATMega328 hw;
    MySensor gw(radio, hw);

I tested it with the excellent Windos GUI Controller made by tekka and found here

Again thanks for your help, I'm now trying to use it with Jeedom, It doesn't work yet but ... it's another story ...:-)

Bye

• Does anyone have a MQTT gateway working with the RFM69?
    I've been using a MQTT gateway with the W5100 / NRF24 (soft SPI) from the MySensors 1.4 branch -- works well.
    I have a RFM69 serial gateway working from the development branch.
    My first attempt at an MQTT gateway with the RFM69 (soft SPI) and W5100 hangs up in the gw.begin() function. I wasn't sure what to do about the RFM69 interrupt line. Before digging any deeper, I was hoping someone might have worked this out already.

I'm still having some problems with the sensors being a bit unreliable. For instance, I have a Power sensor that detects LED blinks off my power meter and switches its own LED at every blink so that I can actually see if anything is happening. This works fine for several days, and power usage reports are sent to the gateway at regular intervals (two minutes), but then suddenly the power reports stop. The LED keeps blinking, indicating that the sketch is actually doing what it is supposed to, but for some reason the radio stops doing anything.

I have also had this happen on the gateway, the radio stopped responding after some time even though the sketch seems to be running. This is both on the moteino and anarduino with the RF 69 radios.

I have no idea what is causing this, but my best guess is that some kind of buffer is overrun, or maybe a counter?

Not really sure how to debug a problem like this, but I think the first attempt will be to try to reinitialise the radio after a specific amount of time to see if this clears the problem. The time before the issues occur can vary from 10 hours to 5 days, though, so it is a bit difficult to test...

@kolaf, how are you powering the radio? Cheap phone chargers usually introduce noise into the power line, which drives the radio crazy. A capacitor between radio VCC / GND help in some circumstances: :

http://www.mysensors.org/build/connect_radio

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics