Find parent - hardware or software issue?

• I've recently started playing with the MySensor library. I ordered some NRF modules and connected them to an arduino Nano 3.3v and an arduino Uno.
    However, i don't seem to get anything working. I've tried pinging each other with a RF24 library (pingpair example from the RF24 lib), and that seems to work. That would mean that the modules aren't completely broken or misconnected(right?)

When i upload PingPongSensor to both devices, it boots up and tells me "find parent". Same thing when i upload SerialGateway to one arduino and a sensor (MockMySensors or anything else).

Could someone guide me in the right direction? I've added 10uF to the power lines to rule out power issues. I've got the
    http://forum.mysensors.org/uploads/files/1427268777747-1427268738276-453722785.jpg modules, which others point out are NRF24l01(without the +). Could this be the issue?

• @Marco-van-Noord Are you using a controller? 'Find parent' is the Arduino looking for an ID from a controller.

• I am not using a controller, but am i correct that even without a controller i should at least see some output on the serial port of the gateway when another device starts up?

I''m using MYSController to see the messages that the gateway sends and receives, but whenever i restart a sensor, i do not get any new messages, is this correct?

@Marco-van-Noord said:

i should at least see some output on the serial port of the gateway when another device starts up?

Yes

@Marco-van-Noord said:

but whenever i restart a sensor, i do not get any new messages, is this correct?

No

What the node shows on serial monitor during startup?

• I think thanks to your reply i got it working, i thought it would receive the parent_id from the gateway, not the controller. However, i still expected communication from the sensor, requesting a parent (which doesn't happen, so i'm still at a loss there).

Either way, using
    gw.begin(incomingMessage,254,false,0);
    I made the sensor skip finding the parent( is this smart?)
    If i set the nodeId to AUTO, it also doesn't receive a nodeId from the gateway, shouldn't that hand out the id's?

• @rvendrame said:

@Marco-van-Noord said:

i should at least see some output on the serial port of the gateway when another device starts up?

Yes

@Marco-van-Noord said:

but whenever i restart a sensor, i do not get any new messages, is this correct?

No

What the node shows on serial monitor during startup?

When i use one of the standard sketches(like the mockMySensor sketch) the serial debug just says "find parent", nothing else.

The controller is responsible to handle NodeIDs. If you don't have a controller, you must hardcode sensorIDs at the gw.begin, like you did. Gateway is node 0 and nodes should have different IDs ranging from 1 to 254.

Once you do like that, you should see your gateway receiving data from nodes.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics