433Mhz devices

• Is it possible to a 433mhz transmitter and receiver to communicate with my existing 433mhz devices? Do you have a tutorial on how to do this?
    When do you think your range of sensors will be on the market?
    If you want to turn any sensor into a repeater do you need to add some code to the sketch or does the code exist in each sketch already?

• Admin

@Terence-Faul said:

Is it possible to a 433mhz transmitter and receiver to communicate with my existing 433mhz devices? Do you have a tutorial on how to do this?

It depends on what devices you have and what Arduino library you use (there are several out there).
    E.g. https://code.google.com/p/rc-switch/
    If you can control your device with some library you will be able to integrate it into the MySensors ecosystem.

When do you think your range of sensors will be on the market?

@axillent has the latest status.

If you want to turn any sensor into a repeater do you need to add some code to the sketch or does the code exist in each sketch already?

It's in the sensor code. Just turn it on when calling begin(). See api-documentation.

• Hek

Does your team have any intention of creating the code in the sensors and gateways to support 433mhz?

I think developing it myself may be out of my league and I am not familiar with code.

Regards

• Contest Winner

I got myself one of these. But currently it is not high on my list of things to do.
    Perhaps after I got my GW properly finished, and I have verified my secure authentication solution. But so far, the only thing to control is my Nexxa-switches, and that is currently managed by my programmable remote so I would not count on myself for doing this anytime soon I am afraid.

• Admin

@Terence-Faul said:

Does your team have any intention of creating the code in the sensors and gateways to support 433mhz?

Usually you control things like lights and dimmers. These device-types is already supported by MySensors.

But you need to create the "glue" between MySensors and some 433-library. The problem is that there are a myriad of different 433-devices out there. Supporting them in one arduino library is a big project of its own. First you need to see if your particular devices is supported at all by the library I linked above or some other. Google is your friend.

Step two is to play around with a simple sketch (don't involve MySensors yet) to see if your device can be controller or if radio traffic can snooped/replayed.
    All you need an is an Arduino and the module @Anticimex linked to start playing.

Step three we can probably help you with (the glue-part).

• Can you elaborate on exactly how to use the https://code.google.com/p/rc-switch/ library in place of the default RF method? Is it as simple as calling the library in each sketch or do you have to modify something in the mysensors library itself?
    While I do have a set of nrf modules, they can be a pain in the neck to set up a bunch of them and I've found generic 433mhz/315mhz modules to be the most common form of low power wireless transmission for Arduinos. They're also cheap enough to network a bunch of sensors together.
    I'm a really big fan of your hybrid-DIY approach BTW. Enabling support for multiple wireless methods (e.g XBee series 1+2, 433mhz/315mhz, BT, BLE etc...) would make it much more accessible!

• Admin

I'm not saying you should replace the RF24 part of the MySensors library.
    Just send some control commands over NRF24 to a node close to the 433-device you want to control. From the node you send out 433 stuff using an attached 433-sender module.

We're working on a separation of the radio layer to support more types of radios (but XBee is another story).

• The Radiohead Library should have support for multiple types of RF modules BTW- http://www.airspayce.com/mikem/arduino/RadioHead/index.html

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics