Should I get Vera?

• Hi!

I have occasion to buy VeraLite for not more than 107€.

I also currently run Domoticz with own arduino-gateway sending messages to actuators.
    I'd like to switch whole installation to mysensors and I'm wondering - is it worth the money to buy VeraLite just for that, or it's better to act more with like OpenHAB or something?

I won't lie, I want to get the whole installation as much hassle-free as it is possible.
    I can wait a little more for Raspberry-solution for the MySensors. At current moment I can't really decide.

I've ran MQTT for Domoticz already, I have synology running 24/7, but for home-solution I want to have something as much reliable as possible.
    Do you think VeraLite is something to go for? Will I be able to OTA update packages in future?
    Or it's better just to wait and look for something better than RPi?

What would you choose?

• I chose Vera, because I enjoy the things that can be done with some of the Z-Wave sensors, though they are definitely pricey.

I got my VeraLite for 105$ new, and pick up various Z-Wave modules when I see them on sale. $25 LED dimmer switches, $27 on/off+current sensing wall plugs, a couple of Schlage deadbolts for $135. Retail prices on it all are insane, but sale prices are not bad. Visit Slickdeals.net, and set some notifications for keywords like "Z-Wave", thats what I do, and it works really well for finding deals.

I then use mysensors for a growing list of auxiliary sensors like temperature/humidity/presence sensors.

I really prefer the Vera method for use of the automation android apps (imperihome and authomation), as well as the Z-wave modules. MySensors stuff compliments and integrates with it all very well.

I would prefer the low cost of MySensors stuff across the board, but there are some things I simply do not want to, or are not feasible to build, which Z-Wave has stuff for.

• But what about the future-proof features of MySensors? OTA updates, encryption?
    Will it be possible to achieve with VeraLite?

• Admin

Encryption would probably be handled by sensors/gateway. OTA updates may be hard to implement on the vera as a plugin.

• Then - what's the option for me at the moment?
    I can wait next 2-3 months, but - as the winter is coming - I'd like to move on and switch my home to MySensors (which I've been watching since weeks now). I'd already like to have the controller running, but the only thing that I've found working fine is Domoticz which doesn't support MySensors at all.

Raspberry - I find it very unreliable, especially when it comes to long-time working without need of maintenance (usb-drive corruptions occure every 3-5 months...)
    I'd like to test all the things before moving to the new house where I'd be installing "theonlyone" solution in the walls... And I still don't know what it would be. 🙂

• Admin

Don't know if there is a "one-and.only" solution for the tinkering people hanging here.

Vera acts as the single point (of failure) in our home. But things like our alarm system is autonomous system and only reports stuff to vera. Same for sound system (sonos). And MySenors of course.

I like to have a HA solution that not completely falls apart if one component fails.. But that might just me me?

That said Vera is not optimal... slow, sometimes long intermittent delays when the unit decides to do garbage collecting (or whatever it does during those 1-5 second hickups). Everything cooks down to what you want to integrate in your HA setup and what plugins/functionality you need on the controller.

• Then, hek, how do you think - when it will be possible just to "plug'n'play" MySensors with one of the domotica systems, just (almost) out of the box? With OTA, upgrades, being able to manage every sensors almost just like in Domoticz? (I still can't believe there's no C++ programer to help Domoticz's crew out with the integration - shame on me I'm not one of...)

• @hek said:

Don't know if there is a "one-and.only" solution for the tinkering people hanging here.

Vera acts as the single point (of failure) in our home. But things like our alarm system is autonomous system and only reports stuff to vera. Same for sound system (sonos). And MySenors of course.

I like to have a HA solution that not completely falls apart if one component fails.. But that might just me me?

That said Vera is not optimal... slow, sometimes long intermittent delays when the unit decides to do garbage collecting (or whatever it does during those 1-5 second hickups). Everything cooks down to what you want to integrate in your HA setup and what plugins/functionality you need on the controller.

Agreed. I don't think there is a "one ring to rule them all" solution. I find Vera as a base controller, supplemented by MySensors to be adequate for my needs.

I am not keen on the idea of MySensors, home built stuff, controlling my line level lights etc. If ever a fire were to occur, even if that sensor were not the cause, I am sure my insurance company would try use it against me. Not worth the potential risk IMO, but that is another story.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics